Question about Michigan Diving....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic_diver45

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a rather simplistic question about Michigan diving....what's the earliest that it would be sane to go diving in a wetsuit in Michigan? Thank you. :)

August. :wink:

Actually, late May or early June, depending upon a number of factors: how warm and sunny is the day of the dive, the body of water you're diving, how fond you are of blue skin (the ultimate body modification) and how desperate you are to get wet.

reefraff:

Actually, late May or early June, depending upon a number of factors: how warm and sunny is the day of the dive, the body of water you're diving, how fond you are of blue skin (the ultimate body modification) and how desperate you are to get wet.
LOL!

reefraff:

For a male there is one more pronounced change to the body in cold water, wet suit diving. :)

Actually, I agree with ReefRaff on the the timing issue and conditions that need to be looked at.

medic_diver45:
I have a rather simplistic question about Michigan diving....what's the earliest that it would be sane to go diving in a wetsuit in Michigan? Thank you. :)

Uhhh, never?

The earliest you could go wetsuit diving in Michigan is 1 January!

I earliest that I would LIKE to go wetsuit diving in Michigan is NEVER!!!

Come on guys, the questions aren't all that hard.... :wink:

If your talking Lake Michigan, I've been diving in june with bottom temps of 36. And thats at fifty feet. Now thats okay by me because when you get out of the water the air temp is at least 45 or so. Then you can warm up. ha. Realisticly though, for most people its july through mid september

Jim

The earliest I dove Superior was my birthday - Jan 25. And back then we didn't have a drysuit. Many will question my sanity but the light under the crushed sections of Ice made it all worth while.

Now Im "blessed???" with diving here in the Puget Sound where the best diving is in the winter (less silt) - go figure! I have a drysuit now, but many here STILL question my sanity.

I say enjoy it while you can - you never know what the future holds.

The end last week of april, first week of May, the St.Clair river is 55-60 degrees 7 mm wet and one dive. Feels good to shed the drysuit.
Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom