Question about lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1+ for the Ikelite but I use the PCa LED. Same as the PCm but uses 6 AA batteries instead, still very comfortable in the hand, very bright center spot which is ideal for daytime diving locally So Cal where viz in 10-20 ft range but did beautifully in clear tropical waters Hawaii for night dives.

I also have an UK C4 eLED which runs about $130. Puts out 220 lumen and is smaller than the C8 makes more convenient if you wanted to take on vacation but IMO is a little big and personally I like my PCa for night dives.

I bought an Intova wide angle light. It was probably the batteries about to die but it didn't quite do as well as my PCa for Hawaii night dives. And during the day didn't light the cracks and crevices as well. It is now relegated to the more expensive back up role. It also takes special CR 123 batteries which are $12 for two to replace.

I did find on tropical night dives the brighter lights tended to spook the critters but were really good attracting plankton. Bigger and brighter wasn't always better.

And, if you check out "Can you have too much gear" thread who says you need only two lights!!

Thanks for all the good info everyone. I really appreciate it. On the battery subject...the only thing I saw about rechargeables is that they lose the ability to recharge after X amount of uses. The other thing I noticed is that most of you posted names of lights that take AA's, AAA's or C's so I think I will be looking for lights with replaceable batteries rather than rechargeable batteries.. Thanks everyone...really good feed back here.

fnfalman...I have not dived your area yet but from what I have seen in various videos it doesn't look too much different than up here. Do you get algae blooms in the summer months? It was thick in the Puget Sound in June but back in January it was pretty good viz I thought. About 30+'.

We are interested in a main light and a smaller back up.

Budget wise...I am buying for two so cost is definitely something to think about. I would like to stay under $200 per main light if possible but may have to go $300.

Location would be the Puget Sound and some local locations such as mountain lakes and ocean bays. All the diving I have done so far (limited) gets dark any where from 30' - 60' and we want lights for that. We do plan on getting our AOW after we get some more dive experience and night diving is part of that program.

As for tropical diving that would be an occasional Carribean vacation.

Dennis...you brought a question to my mind. Batteries? Lithium Ion or C's and AAA's? Batteries are expensive not only to buy but to haul around on vacation. So, I was thinking rechargeable, is this idea a less than optimal idea? What is the burn time ratio comparing alkaline batteries to Lith-Ion recahargeable and is the difference so minimal that buying batteries is a non issue? I do realize that is kind of a trick question because it depends on light output among other things but just looking for a ball park idea.

Thanks everyone for responding so far. We appreciate you sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

LowDrag,

Good that you know exactly what you want and your budget. However, at around $300 for your mains you'll not be likely to be looking at canister lights but they are some decent recreational lights that would suit your budget.

As for fit and function I agree with your concerns about rechargeable vs alkaline batteries and travel costs.

With these concerns in mind this is my recommendations and why:
Both primary and backup use the same type of batteries that way you don't have to worry about forgetting to buy one set of AAA or C for example and c size batteries are usually easier to get at most dive locations. No need to byo, but call ahead to check with the local stores on the availability of the batteries (especially true for foreign dive locations).

1. Primary light EBL1000 Dive Light $350, yes it is more expensive but it is a very versatile light and cus it's adjustable you can use it in various conditions easily.

2. Backup 1000 Lumen Dive Light $89.99, this is one awesome light that even tech divers use due to the powerful beam and long 5 hr burn time.

3. Another backup light that is worth considering is the Penetrater 220 $43 although it uses 6 AAA batteries, it has an 8 hr burn time so you need only bring one set of batteries along and you might never even use it on the trip as it's a backup anyway. I own this light and it is really powerful, it throws a 100m beam even on brightly lighted city streets.

Cheers

Boy, this is a tall order.

If you are going to be diving the Pacific Northwest, you need power and punch in a primary light, especially to help keep your buddy team together. I'd recommend at least a 10W HID or 12W LED light. The hand-held UK Light Cannon will give you a 10W HID, and the non-rechargeable version is around your $200, or at least used to be.

I personally hate them, because the person using one always drops it if they need to do something with their hands, at which point they spin on their lanyard and give me an epileptic seizure or the irresistible desire to stuff a regulator in their mouth :)

There are quite a few non-canister lights with the brightness one needs for our waters, but none is going to come in at $200, not even used.

I keep hearing about 10 watt HID and 12 watt HID lights and have no idea what HID stands for. First thing that comes to mind is High Intensity something.

I keep hearing about 10 watt HID and 12 watt HID lights and have no idea what HID stands for. First thing that comes to mind is High Intensity something.

You are warm. Not bad for an Infantryman! LOL. Just messing with ya. I am stationed at the home of the 3rd ID.

Anyway, you are close. HID is High Intensity Discharge. It is the type of bulb used basically. You can find used 10 watt HID canister lights for around $300-$350. Or you can find LED canister lights in the same price range used. Both would make a great primary light. I use a LED now because my primary 10 watt HID flooded in salt water. My fault. I am about to purchase a 35 watt HID as it's replacement. For backups I use two of the 1000 lumen DRIS lights that were already mentioned in this thread. Keep in mind my lights are used for cave diving and the as video lights as well.

I would just wait until you see something good come up in the classifieds for the primary light.

For night diving you can always add an opaque plastic lens to the front of the light to diffuse it. I actually like using a red filter for night dives.

---------- Post Merged at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Here are a few to consider on here already.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-lights/435238-dive-rite-10w-mr-11-hid.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/classifieds-lights/435716-fs-co-greenforce-10w-hid-can-light.html

Yeah it's high intensity something lol. HID is High Intensity Discharge.

These are very powerful bulbs but also very fragile, also it tends to use a lot more energy then a led bulb.

Dive light comparisons

The links JamesK mentioned about the 2nd hand lights are really good as they are well within your price range.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey James, 3rd ID huh? Not sure where you are located. BTW, it's okay...I can take it...:wink: Thanks for the tips on the lights.

SangP...thanks I will be checking those out.

I am in Fort Stewart GA just outside of Savannah. I am not part of the 3rd ID though. I am actually an MP but I don't work the roads. I am an instructor.

An MP and a rifleman... gawd save us all lol!

However, without an ex army mechanic like myself u 2 will have to walk when your wheels break down lol!

Back
Top Bottom