Question about lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in Fort Stewart GA just outside of Savannah. I am not part of the 3rd ID though. I am actually an MP but I don't work the roads. I am an instructor.

Basic and AIT @ Ft. Benning Georgia 1981.

Hey SangP. Did you work on M113A1's?

I'm not convinced you're going to be happy with any of the lights in your price range in the conditions that are local to you. Your best bet is likely to save up and look at something akin to the Hollis 15W LED @ ~$699 (even that's a compromise, at a bare minimum). Otherwise you'll just be investing in lights now that you'll end up replacing later.

Basic and AIT @ Ft. Benning Georgia 1981.

Hey SangP. Did you work on M113A1's?

Sorry my friend I'm a B vehicle Mech, Motorcycles to MAN 7 tons. Armored and Track vehicles are the domain of the A vehicle mechs.

---------- Post Merged at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:32 AM ----------

Anyway back to the lights.

The problem with primary lights is brighter is almost always better and bigger is always better (until travel restrictions and price becomes an issue)

Allow me to be realistic, every crazy one of us to be the guy who's torch is so bright night becomes day underwater. You want to snicker at the puny little flash light your dive buddy calls a torch wahahaha!

However, back on the real world unless you fly business class and up you'll be unlikely to be lugging that beast around much and at $2000 you'll more likely going to be eating and sleeping out of the dog house if you happen to walk through the front door with one. Get something affordable that fits your needs now as light manufacturers are constantly improving their gear, sooner or later an LED light will be get to be as good as a HID light or something else will pop up so there's no need to get the latest and best torch now.

Another great light company that won't make u live in the dog house is nocturnallights.com
They have great prices on demo sets that are refurbish and on sale:
Sales and Clearance
You can get an led can light from $284.99 - $485 or so.

Cheers

I'm not convinced you're going to be happy with any of the lights in your price range in the conditions that are local to you. Your best bet is likely to save up and look at something akin to the Hollis 15W LED @ ~$699 (even that's a compromise, at a bare minimum). Otherwise you'll just be investing in lights now that you'll end up replacing later.

Yeah, I get what you mean but I also have to deal with versatility vs cost at the moment. The light I am leaning towards will eventually make a good back up light in the future. I do appreciate your assistance and will keep it in mind for a later time when I can afford something bigger, badder, better...:wink:

The problem with primary lights is brighter is almost always better and bigger is always better (until travel restrictions and price becomes an issue)

Allow me to be realistic, every crazy one of us to be the guy who's torch is so bright night becomes day underwater. You want to snicker at the puny little flash light your dive buddy calls a torch wahahaha! That's mean...:cool2:

However, back on the real world unless you fly business class and up you'll be unlikely to be lugging that beast around much and at $2000 you'll more likely going to be eating and sleeping out of the dog house if you happen to walk through the front door with one. Get something affordable that fits your needs now as light manufacturers are constantly improving their gear, sooner or later an LED light will be get to be as good as a HID light or something else will pop up so there's no need to get the latest and best torch now.

Another great light company that won't make u live in the dog house is nocturnallights.com
They have great prices on demo sets that are refurbish and on sale:
Sales and Clearance
You can get an led can light from $284.99 - $485 or so.

Cheers

Thanks Sang, I will look at this site as well. It definitely never hurts to add new sites to my favroites list to use for research in the future. "Real world", now there is a term that sucks right up there along with "reality" doesn't it??? :wink:

FWIW:

I used to use a UK600 as my night-dive primary and a Q-light as backup (or just the Q-light on some dives).

I've been tinkering with diffusers on inexpensive DRIS 1000 lumen lights for use as video lights and am impressed with how much light they crank out. I was invited to go on a night dive recently, put a fresh battery in the UK600, and was surprised how little light it puts out compared to the DRIS. I didn't end up going on that dive, so haven't verified that under water, but suspect the US600 will be going into permanent storage when I do.

FWIW:

I used to use a UK600 as my night-dive primary and a Q-light as backup (or just the Q-light on some dives).

I've been tinkering with diffusers on inexpensive DRIS 1000 lumen lights for use as video lights and am impressed with how much light they crank out. I was invited to go on a night dive recently, put a fresh battery in the UK600, and was surprised how little light it puts out compared to the DRIS. I didn't end up going on that dive, so haven't verified that under water, but suspect the US600 will be going into permanent storage when I do.

Thanks, we are leaning to the DRIS 1000 Lumen lights to start with. They have great reviews and look sturdy as well.

Thanks Sang, I will look at this site as well. It definitely never hurts to add new sites to my favroites list to use for research in the future. "Real world", now there is a term that sucks right up there along with "reality" doesn't it??? :wink:

LOL yeah why isn't diving cheaper or we richer huh? The DRIS is a great backup light.
As for a primary light, take your time there are often black friday deals from Piranha Dive Mfg. or you could contact Jim Lapenta as he deals with Hog gear too.

Check the classifieds often too on this and other diving forums.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom