Question about LEDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, thanks again. Sounds a little easier said than done, but I'll try.

Packhorse, you were right. It was not that bad. I bought a 30W soldering iron with a fine tip. I applied a little solder to the wire prior to placing it on the driver or the LED and used the soldering iron to finish up the soldering.

I am using one of 2 drivers, the ones previously posted. One is a single power level. The P7 uses almost full amperage of 2800 mA with this one. The 3 power level one works almost as well, pulling about 2700 mA. I have figured out the power up thing and now to build the light itself.

I see why you need a big heat sink with these things. I ran about 5 second bursts and it does get hot. Even stavcking on 3 of the aluminum boards.

So far so good, still waiting for the reflector from DX and the glass maglite lenses...

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Which 3 level driver?

Stacking 3 boards high will not help dissipate the heat. It will take longer to heat up but as it doesnt have more surface area it will not dissipate 3x more heat.

This one
http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1866
Works great, all you do is cycle the toggle switch and it goes from high to mid to low.

Yeah, I realize that those little boards were not going to keep it cool based on the big chunk of metal you have on yours. I am still waiting for my reflector. I bought the one with the heat sink on it.

The one with the copper heat sink (not including the LED)?? I dont know for sure but my guess is that may be too small to use alone and heat may be a problem.

I got one of those drivers and it arrived broken.
They do seem to be a great board though.

Yeah, I saw your post about the heatsink issues. I figure I would wrap some copper wire around it to make it better if I need to. You got a D Maglite HS right? How much did that run you. I have seen some for about $20. Seems a bit expensive.
Both drivers are pretty nice. Definitely worth it not to have to solder 4 together. I was a little worried about the post on the lack of current, but mine works just fine.

This one for $15us
Its a small price to pay to protect a more expensive LED.

Packhorse, did you use the one with the raised lip or the flat one?
Thanks again.

P7.jpg

Umm that one there^

Maghs.jpg

Looks like this with the thread cut from the discarded handle section.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom