Question about dive school pricing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand how any of you could for one second believe I would sacrifice quality to save a few bucks.

Because you keep bringing up the $75.

PS - nothing against awap... but once you've been around SB a while you'll come to recognize that he hates all dive shop owners, believes every one of them is a liar and a cheat, and would take a stale crust of bread out of their children's mouths if he had the opportunity. :D

PS - nothing against awap... but once you've been around SB a while you'll come to recognize that he hates all dive shop owners, believes every one of them is a liar and a cheat, and would take a stale crust of bread out of their children's mouths if he had the opportunity. :D

That is a bit harsh but the sentiment is in the right direction. I don't hate people. I do hate the scuba retail business model. If you would like to hear a dive shop lie to you, simply ask to buy parts from them to service your regulator.

I don't believe in wasting $$$. Does that make me cheap? I have to breath for about 8 hours to make $75. Why waste it?

I didn't keep bringing up $75. I wrote it once and all of a sudden I'm a cheapskate. My mentioning $75 was to illustrate the fact that it's so close it doesn't make a difference. People just assumed that I'm trying to do things on the cheap. Perhaps I should find a different forum. I haven't felt all that welcome here.

Because people do it ALL the time. I've had students show up for class with gear that should have been condemned years ago - cracked hoses, repurposed (non scuba) tanks, masks that have the rubber rotted away - and then get upset when they're told that gear isn't suitable for their class. It's not a reflection on you, it's what most instructors have seen from students on multiple occasions.

-Adrian
So very true..had one yesterday, dad and 20 something adult daughter. She wanted to use her 30 year old hand me down bcd in pool for a refresher session The hard plastic that connects the corrugated hose to the bcd pulled off while in pool. Convinced her it was time for new gear.

Ok I need to make something clear. I don't have a problem spending money. I have over $50,000 invested in flight training. I know what it means to find quality instruction. I understand the importance of proper equipment. My whole point is I don't want to get ripped off.
Im just saying.

If you don't mind spending some money getting certified, I would investigate a dive vacation centered around your training. The two prime spots IMO would be Bonaire and Roatan. The best teachers in those locations are excellent, very experienced instructors, they're not teaching to create a market for gear sales (unlike virtually all land-locked dive shops), and after you finish the OW course you can immediately spend the week practicing your newly-acquired skills, in optimum dive conditions for a new diver. This is the best way to establish good dive habits. You just need to get some recommendations for instructors on the forums for Bonaire and/or Bay Islands on this site. I'll be glad to give you mine via PM.

I didn't keep bringing up $75. I wrote it once and all of a sudden I'm a cheapskate. My mentioning $75 was to illustrate the fact that it's so close it doesn't make a difference. People just assumed that I'm trying to do things on the cheap. Perhaps I should find a different forum. I haven't felt all that welcome here.

Don't take it personally because only maybe 50% of the back and forth here has anything to do with you. This can be a pretty fun place but some of the same conversations and opinions come up again and again. And again. And then just for fun, once more around the mulberry bush. Quality of of basic OW instruction, cost vs quality, etc, is one of the topics that reliably bring the natives here out to play. Because they're passionate about it. I'm certain you see the equivalent in flying forums. FWIW, knowing the posters here as I've come to I don't think anyone is really calling you out as a cheapskate. Except maybe RJP, he's just trouble.

Poke around here a while longer before you make up your mind. Some of the trainwrecks are exasperating or hilarious, but in between those you also get to see some truly gifted/experienced/talented divers yakking about diving.

Stick around and get to know the characters on this board. It normally stays local tavern friendly and this one has not been too bad. RJP has warned you a bit about me, but you also need to understand Ray. He is a good guy but he makes his living helping businesses take more $$$ from folks like us. I don't know whether he has scuba companies as clients or whether he just likes to practice on us when he gets a chance. As with most of the members here, he will be quite helpful when you really have a problem. But, if he is not on the "other team", he is at least spying for them.

It needs a smile::D

You know I teach firearms. Sure I did not make make much money at first but I do an all day class and depending on what all the student wants to learn we sometimes do building clearing and nightfire. I have been told many of my students were told to avoid me because I charge way less then everyone else. The funny thing is my business grew and began to get so packed that I was literally raking in the dough from way cheaper classes then most of the competition.

Now I dont do these much these days because I am burned out on it and want to enjoy some diving for a change but my point is people like to throw that famous line of if your saving money you get what you pay for. This is simply not always true and most americans today are becoming savy enough to realize money is not endless. They dont look to high priced instructors and they dont avoid low priced instructors what they look for is good instructors and ones that are affordable.

Stick around and get to know the characters on this board. It normally stays local tavern friendly and this one has not been too bad. RJP has warned you a bit about me, but you also need to understand Ray. He is a good guy but he makes his living helping businesses take more $$$ from folks like us. I don't know whether he has scuba companies as clients or whether he just likes to practice on us when he gets a chance. As with most of the members here, he will be quite helpful when you really have a problem. But, if he is not on the "other team", he is at least spying for them.

It needs a smile::D

My goal is to help make scuba diving so expensive that I can't afford to do it anymore!

Besides researching scuba schools, definitely call and talk to owners at several shops and see what kind of vibe you get, ask questions, and make sure you are comfortable with the answers you're getting. The attitude the owner projects filters down to all the instructors, and dive shop personality can change quickly due to turnover, so make sure you've got current data. Find out how the class is run, so you get a sense of how organized they are, and how effectively they will spend your time

Some dive shops will quote a single price, and others quote various options, so what's quoted as one price up front can change a lot. When someone quotes a price, make sure you know what is included and what is not, so you can compare apples to apples. Around here, a lot of local dive shops treat open water classes as a loss leader in the hope of getting new divers into the sport and continuing; others think they are somehow above everyone else and charge a premium for essentially the same (and sometimes worse) instruction.

You didn't say how far away you are looking, but you want to check what is included as far as transportation, accommodations (and how many nights), what rental charges you're going to be on the hook for, and what other incidentals there might be (e.g., parking). Also, compare what conditions you're learning in (boat, beach dive, dive park, etc) and find out about what upgrades you can piggyback to make you a better diver out of the starting gate, such as nitrox and peak performance buoyancy for a modest cost increase since you're already doing your open water certification dives the same weekend

Get some idea of minimum and maximum class size, and how often classes are run. New open water classes every week give you more options to schedule to your benefit, and bigger classes don't necessarily mean less personalized attention; sometimes bigger classes give you a better opportunity to adjust schedules if someone needs to reschedule, and you have a bigger peer group to interact with. Consistently bigger classes also mean the dive shop is doing something right if they're continually filling big classes every week. Besides class size, find out how many instructors are teaching. 20 students from 4 instructors get more attention than 1 instructor with 6 students, and if some instructors finish up sooner than others, they can help with more personalized training on specific issues for students at the end of the day

The dive shop I spend most of my time at only expects you to buy mask and snorkel, they provide all the rest of the gear for the pool and open water, accommodations, and on top of the quoted price (which is very competitive) you're only paying for one weekend parking and the open water certification air fills (plus your meals, obviously). They also deeply discount other gear (hood, gloves, fins, etc) for students, and treat you like part of the family during and after your class

Around here, $300 isn't unusual for a top quality certification, including gear, ferry and a weekend in Catalina, with the option to schedule the classroom/pool weekend and open water certification weekend independently to fit your schedule

Since you're a pilot, definitely don't plan to fly out somewhere, do your training, and then immediately hop back in your plane to head home. That's a big no-no!

---------- Post added July 28th, 2015 at 06:46 PM ----------

Buying recreational scuba gear without getting ripped off!!! That may be quite a challenge.

Search prices online. Search prices on ebay. Good Luck.

Yes, there are some local dive shop owners that have figured out it's better to make a sale at a very fair price (actually, many many sales) than high prices and hope to rip one or a few unsuspecting or uninformed saps off. You just have to find the right shop. If customers are treated fairly, they buy more and tell all their friends

Back
Top Bottom