Question about differences between your Scuba Wet suits and Surfing wets suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I noticed that you make the Hyperflex surfing wetsuit line and was interested in the front zip AMP 4.3mm which would give me a front zipper and also a suit between a 3mm and 5mm - would seem to be perfect for my needs but I am thinking I am missing something. Are there major differences between diving and surfing suits?

If there really is no major difference I an thinking that the Hyperflex AMP 4.3 would be a good choice for me. I never dive without a wetsuit and in early spring in the Caribbean find a 3mm is too little and a 5mm too restrictive. I only dive and do not surf.

Thanks

Craig

Good question. Wetsuits are subject to compression at depth that a surf suit does not see. Curious to see what Henderson says.

The cut of surf, Triathalon, and dive suits are different.

The cut of surf, Triathalon, and dive suits are different.
It seems that surf suits have a lot more "give" for movement but that certainly cannot be a bad thing for scuba. As Steve_C said Looking forward to hearing what Henderson say about surf suits in general and their Hyperflex AMP 4.3 more specifically. A different cut might not detract from its buoyancy and thermal protection qualities.

My surf suits are fine for diving, but not as good as dive-specific suits.

The main difference is that the surf suits tend to use stretchier neoprene, because freedom of motion (especially arm motion) is paramount for surfing. The arm and armpit panels are the typical places this thinner, stretchier material is used, but the best surf suits use super stretch everywhere. Also, the front torso of surf suits have "skin out" (bare neoprene) to help the surfer's belly stick to the surfboard and not pick up nasty board wax in the fabric.

That said, a surf suit won't be as warm or durable as the equivalent suit that's made for diving. Less warm because of thinner fabric and lack of seam tape (except for cold-water specific surf suits). Less durable because the stretchier fabric and "skin out" panels break down faster than less stretchy and double-sided material. I have plenty of worn out surf suits to show for this.

Also a possible issue is the "compressibility" of surf suits. Diving-specific suit manufacturers have been trying for a while to make their material less compressible, which makes them warmer at depth and have less buoyancy change. However, I'm not sure how much of this is real and how much is just marketing hype.

You can use a surf suit for diving, but you can't use a dive suit for surfing. The arms and shoulders don't move enough, you feel like the suit is holding you back.

Often wandered the same thing....Henderson, any feedback for the OP???

Always surprises me that the manufacturers never seem to respond on these forums. Wonder why one would have a presence on scubaboard and then not respond. Probably better not to have a presence at all? Makes one wonder how seriously they take customer service?

Well I guess I am not getting an answer from Henderson. Lets move onto another manufacturer.

I've been told that the difference has to do with the way the seams are treated. Diving wetsuits need the seams to be sealed to minimize water exchange and heat loss but surf suits don't matter as much. Dive suits have glue and stitched.. surf suits only stitches. That is what I was told by a wetsuit manufacturer a few years ago (Neptune in Australia).

Just took a closer look at two of my O'Neil wetsuits: a 3mm surf suit and a 5mm dive suit. Apart form the stitching vs. stitching and glueing which is the most evident difference, I noticed that the surf suit has developed fuzz balls in the areas of heavy friction with the BCD - the dive suit is fuzz ball free. Different material, obviously.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom