question about deep dive / narcosis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just do not set it up ? What is the point ? What is your goal? You have nothing else to dive in 100 ft range?

If you want to feel the narc ask someone to make you taskloaded at 100 ft. Run a line, clip of and on rhe bottles launch an smb do some of this while monitoring depth and time and have no reference and no looking at the bottom. You will fill it guaranteed.

Math problems and writing the numbers is easy as yoi do this often on the surface and you know how to do it well. You have to trt something that you have no skills developed well.

I start feeling narc at 70 ft roughly. At 100ft its very well noticible. Its not to the point im incapacitated but it is noticible. For that reason i do not dive deeper than 100 ft

I do not trust anybody who tells me that they are not narc at 100ft. It usually means that they are either not experienced enough to recognize the symptoms or macho men who are ignorant and I try to avoid diving with them as they are also usually those who want to go deeper.

I was told the padi Deep Diving course is just like deep dive #1 of the AOW and really isn't worth it.
Maybe you suggest otherwise bubbletrubble?

Well it is not what you were told. Obviously it depends upon the instructor. My deep course included no mask swimming, no mask air share, the signal was given to me after my mask was off, all that was done at 90 ft. We also did a reg share at a safety stop by 6 people. Besides we did holding a safety stop with no mask and no mask ascend. Those skills were done over 3 or 4 dives i do not remember exactly. Definitely they cannot take you below rec limit on the course.

Talk to your instructor about the skills And if its something like dive 1 of AOW just find another instructor.

It really does not matter whether on air or nitrox as far as narcosis is concerned. I appreciate that you were looking for help on the Invasion trip, but a search of the word will yield countless threads that will explain this more.
Have a nice trip... :pilot:

Dandy there you are :D Maybe I can get cardzard make me juggle my camera at 120. I think I am just going to have to remain within rec depths for now until I can save up enough money to do gue, if thats where I want to take this.

Dandy there you are :D Maybe I can get cardzard make me juggle my camera at 120. I think I am just going to have to remain within rec depths for now until I can save up enough money to do gue, if thats where I want to take this.
I hope your camera will be securely attached to your wrist as well as connected to a flotation device. Sealife sells a wrist strap with a floatie. I've never lost one but have known of many who have. We see reports all the time here from those who did not prepare, usually divers with less than 100 dives I think.

Narcosis starts as soon as you descend and gets stronger as you go deeper, becoming more evident around 100 ft in some ways, noticeable to some - not really to me. I just try to remind myself than I am impaired and try to dive safely even more.

I do not trust anybody who tells me that they are not narc at 100ft. It usually means that they are either not experienced enough to recognize the symptoms or macho men who are ignorant and I try to avoid diving with them as they are also usually those who want to go deeper.

Math problems and writing the numbers is easy as yoi do this often on the surface and you know how to do it well. You have to trt something that you have no skills developed well.

If you want to feel the narc ask someone to make you taskloaded at 100 ft. Run a line, clip of and on rhe bottles launch an smb do some of this while monitoring depth and time and have no reference and no looking at the bottom. You will fill it guaranteed.

I'm really not trying to be an ass in this response, this could very well be from my lack of experience, but if things like math problems don't count because we do them well on land... why would clipping things, blowing into a bag, and looking at your watch and gauge be any more difficult? I do these very well on land... usually better than my math (and I'm quite good at math).

In my experiences thus far, I absolutely didn't feel anything other than normal. I was always aware of my depths and that narcosis could be possible when diving deep, so I am more diligent about paying attention to things - including paying attention to my body so I can know when I'm definately at risk, the last thing I want to do is die. I'll only bring up the drug reference again for one point: as a daily pot smoker (well, not right now since I'm on probation for DUI), I think I know when my mind/body isn't normal. But maybe your right, maybe it just is way different than that and my experiences just haven't let me see it yet. But I still stand by my feeling of never being narced at 100'.

And why would you avoid diving with someone who wishes to dive deeper? It's fine to have a personal choice of not wanting to dive deep, but to never dive with someone because they have other dive agendas/goals than you seems silly (unless you mean during the same dive with you). There's plenty of ocean to explore past 130', and plenty of training available to get you there and back safely. ... so you're saying you would never buddy up to enjoy a rec dive with a tech diver?

I hope your camera will be securely attached to your wrist as well as connected to a flotation device. Sealife sells a wrist strap with a floatie. I've never lost one but have known of many who have. We see reports all the time here from those who did not prepare, usually divers with less than 100 dives I think.

Thanks for the tip Don! I just got a new camera and put a boltsnap on it to clip it on my harness when not in use, and a loop of bungee for my wrist. I didn't think about a little floatie, I have one laying around that I can attatch to it!

Timed math problems, locks, even a rubics cube are not much of a test because the typical deep dive of AOW or deep courses don't last long enough. They also do not take into account task loading before the deep portion. For many there is none. On my AOW deep dive we begin a descent to a 25 ft platform and do a quick buoyancy, bubble, gear check, swim down to the 50 ft one. quick check and secure stage bottles to the platform to be picked up on the ascent. Drop down to the 90 horizontal while maintaining eye contact. when we get to the 90 we do pressure check and two or three fast math problems with my fingers. It;s dark and they really need to pay attention to get em. Some do and some don't. Then I tie my reel off to the platform and we swim out to a ridge at 100. I then give the reel to students who need to maintain tension and not silt up the bottom to get us back to the platform. They untie the reel and hand it to me. We begin our ascent up the line. Somewhere between handing me the reel and starting the ascent I pull an OOA and they need to react to that. We share air up to the 50. Horizontal ascent. At the 50 we retrieve the stage bottles and deploy them to finish off the dive as a multilevel with stops every ten feet. Total run time ends up being 45-47 minutes as opposed to the normal 18-20 that others are doing. We plan the dive with tables, the wheel, and v planner and use computers as back up. When I signal OOA after being at 90-100 for ten minutes or so I can see the reactions quite clearly and where they are different.

You need to have actual dive task loading exercises to evaluate IMO.

I'm really not trying to be an ass in this response, this could very well be from my lack of experience, but if things like math problems don't count because we do them well on land... why would clipping things, blowing into a bag, and looking at your watch and gauge be any more difficult? I do these very well on land... usually better than my math (and I'm quite good at math).

In my experiences thus far, I absolutely didn't feel anything other than normal. I was always aware of my depths and that narcosis could be possible when diving deep, so I am more diligent about paying attention to things - including paying attention to my body so I can know when I'm definately at risk, the last thing I want to do is die. I'll only bring up the drug reference again for one point: as a daily pot smoker (well, not right now since I'm on probation for DUI), I think I know when my mind/body isn't normal. But maybe your right, maybe it just is way different than that and my experiences just haven't let me see it yet. But I still stand by my feeling of never being narced at 100'.

And why would you avoid diving with someone who wishes to dive deeper? It's fine to have a personal choice of not wanting to dive deep, but to never dive with someone because they have other dive agendas/goals than you seems silly (unless you mean during the same dive with you). There's plenty of ocean to explore past 130', and plenty of training available to get you there and back safely. ... so you're saying you would never buddy up to enjoy a rec dive with a tech diver?

Thanks for the tip Don! I just got a new camera and put a boltsnap on it to clip it on my harness when not in use, and a loop of bungee for my wrist. I didn't think about a little floatie, I have one laying around that I can attatch to it!

Its different on land because you do not need to maintain the depth, trim orientation to your team. I do not dive with guys who want to go deeper bacause i do not want to go deeper. So your assumption in the parenthesis is correct. Usually on a dive which has a wreck laying say from 140 to 70 ft they would want to go to 130 and I would stay at 100 ft so our profiles are so different that it does not make sense for us to dive together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom