Question about CLX450 as first drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkc_11_20

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, after 2 years of diving on NJ wrecks in a wetsuit and freezing myself to death, I've decided that I'll be getting a drysuit before this coming dive season rolls around. After many hours of research and talking to friends I have narrowed it down to the DUI CLX450. I'm leaning towards the signature series with 2 of the large bellows velcro pockets, kevlar knee pads, turbo sole boots, classic zipper, and standard latex seals. I noticed on the DUI website there is an option to have the entire suit made out of the black Cordura material. Has anyone out there done this and diving that suit? They claim the suit is stiffer but more durable. Anyone have any opinions on this? Any other general reccomendations? Obviously it's a huge purchase so I dont want to make any mistakes and order something that is not comforatble or not pratical. Thanks in advance...

And I know a couple of other buddies that love theirs.
Good choice!:thumbs_up:

I bought mine used, and it is a Signature Series with two zippered pockets. I would have preferred the bellows on at least one. Mine came with Rockboots which is probably a better way to go if one does a lot of beach/rock/hike diving. I sent mine out for seal and zipper replacement yesterday. I am ordering a neoprene neck seal as they are highly recommended for our "temperate" water, keeping the neck warmer.

The suit is considerably heavier than a laminate suit (about 10lbs total weight), but again, it's supposed to be more rugged.

drysuit1.jpg

I just bought a CLX450 signature series, although I have the Quickzip and Rockboots.

My previous drysuit was a "classic zip" design. I think the Quickzip is fine, although I think it's not recommended for people with broad shoulders or something like that.

I had the Zipseals put in, but I think I prefer my DC rings and will probably have these permanently installed on the suit at some point. I want to get in a few more test dives before I decide.

If you can wait, go to a DUI demo days- they give out coupons for a Sig series suit at the Special Production price, although there might be some time/dealer restrictions.

I have this very suit, and love it. The all cordura is heavier than the half and half, but both a LOT more durable and a LOT better looking. It is a very heavy suit with all the cordura, but I'll bet I get more than the five years I got out of my last (Andy's) suit before Aquaseal became my best friend.

DEFINITELY ditch the wonky QuickZip for a "Classic" zipper, and opt for the Turbo Soles, usually one size smaller than they think you need, undercut the arms slightly (two inches) if you want to use dryglove rings, and you'll be good to go.

I have the CLX450 Signature with the kevlar knee pads, Rockboots, and double thigh pockets. Mine has the standard trilam bottom and the cordura trilam top half. I absolutely love this drysuit. I think that if I was just diving wrecks I might opt for the full cordura treatment. I doubt the lower half of the suit would be too stiff. The top half is very flexable IMO.

On another note I'm glad that I went with the Rockboots as they allow me to wear the XXL Jets that are heavy. Those heavy Jets allow me to keep a bit of air in the legs without getting floaty feet. Something to think about.

Camerone...

By Quick Zip, do you mean the one that zips UP from just behind the right waist?

By the way, a tip to you drysuit newbies: When you pull your drysuit uppers off during surface intervals, and fold the suit down, make sure you have the zipper completely reversed and are NOT folding the zipper. This be the reason my suit is "in the shop"...

By Quick Zip, do you mean the one that zips UP from just behind the right waist?
Yes. My strong opinion is don't opt for it (it's the standard, unless you ask otherwise.) What you really want is the "classic" zip, which is like a normal drysuit...at "open" the toggle's at the shoulder, and "closed" it's at the hip. I made the mistake of forgetting to ask for it, but fortunately, DUI did a poor job measuring my custom suit and needed to remake it, as the fit was terrible 'cause the factory rep wasn't paying attention to how _I_ wanted the suit made, but only paying attention to himself, and how he "thought" it ought to fit. When they remade it from scratch, I had them put the classic zip in instead, and it's far improved. I think the QuickZip is one of those, "if it ain't broken, we'll fix it anyway" situations on DUI's part, but, fortunately, you don't have to get it if you remember to ask not to have it. I'm sure there are a few people who might like it, but I've yet to find one who prefers it after giving it serious thought.

Seriously, though...the classic zip works better if you have wide shoulders, as it opens up a lot better at the top, which should account for most males. Also, the toggle of the QuickZip hanging out by your shoulder puts it in a very uncomfortable position if you've got on heavy gear - with the rebreather and only a couple of sling bottles, when I donned it, it dug in to my shoulder in a most unpleasant manner once I cinched everything down. I also found suiting up with the QuickZip VERY awkward...that weird reach-around-grab-your-butt motion to get it started, switch hands, pull the rest of the way, and try to finish it just wasn't cutting it, when a standard "classic" zip is a no-brainer to doff/don in but a few sessions.

As a guy, if you're not hooked up to a P-valve (factory "option" that is only optional if you're not male :D), it's a lot harder to relieve yourself with a QuickZip if you're in all your gear... with a normal zip, you just have to open things up a bit and you're good to go, pun intended. I can't honestly say I always "hook up" every time I dive; fortunately, I've never, um, made the mistake of thinking I was hooked up when I wasn't :shakehead:

Zippers also don't like to be bent, period. It's the reason that shoulder zips in general don't last as long as back zip suits (although I'd never go back, as I do solo dive now and again, and you can't suit up by yourself in a back zip suit...it's also a lot more awkward to plug in the p-valve, but that's a different situation:wink:) The QuickZip wraps around the body, which is one more bend-point in the zipper, and more non-symmetrical stretch/tension on the teeth. Maybe that's not a "real" issue, and I'm sure the nice folks at DUI might differ on their thoughts, but to me, that looks like a serious weak point that will wear out sooner and a good reason to stay away. Zipper replacement sucks - it's never as good as the original, and it's hard on the suit, although we've all been through it if we've been diving dry for any length of time. In fact, it was zipper replacement that killed my last suit. I sent it to KME for zipper replacement, and they screwed up the first attempt, had to take it out, and put another in...In doing so, they did enough damage to the trilam that it wore out really quickly in the fabric around the zip and the suit started resembling my spaghetti colander instead of a ziploc baggie!

To the "stiffer" question, my whole suit is the cordura, including the bottom. It is marginally stiffer than the poly bottom which is "standard", but it's not really an issue. The suit is heavy but still incredibly flexible and easy to wear... with the amount of undies I've been wearing (gearing up for 28 degree salt water in March) the suit flexibility is the least of my worries. The suit staying dry and being easy to doff/don, OTOH, is a big concern...

I just sent my suit back to have a smaller pair of Turbo Soles installed--they do seem to run larger than they need to be.

I also have a CLX450....my baby is 7 years old and still going like a trooper. I did send it back for a little leak repair in the thigh this past fall and due to that will go with the cordura on the bottom for my next suit. According to my orthopaedic surgeon, most women are knock kneed and most men are bow legged. I scoffed at him and he proved to me that I was.....it's ever so slight, not noticeable when looking, but yes, I am.

BUT....due to this, when I walk in my drysuit....and I walk to my sites...caves and quarries, you hear swish, swish, swish as I walk along. The legs rub together and that's where the leak happened.

I sent the suit to DUI and had numerous discussions with Marcella to figure out what would be best for me. She ended up beefing up my seams on the outside which should help with the wear issue, and repaired the leak on the inside as well. So....long story short, the next suit will be cordura on the bottom too.

I have the rockboots as it's the best when doing land based diving....walk up to the tarp, step out of the boots and onto your tarp....no crud on the suit from your boots. I also had the zip seals retro'd on the wrists only and am very happy....no more bulky rings. I switch back and forth between gloves and wrist seals and the rings were just a PITA to switch out.

While Marcella had the suit to fix the leak I had her replace the zipper as it was 7 years old. So with the beefed up seams and the new zipper, I figure I'll dive that baby for 3 more years and replace it at an even 10. I'll probably keep it as a backup for grungy diving or may sell it to a new drysuit diver for a reasonable cost to them.

I dive a Diving Concepts Duraflex Tek and one of my buddies dives a CLX450. Very similar suit. Tough construction on both. Very flexible and easy to swim. I agree about the Classic Zipper and the pockets. If you are not in a terrible rush to place an order, and I am assuming that you are in NJ- Beneath the Sea, Beneath The Sea is going to be in Secaucus at the end of March. Susan and Faith are usually there, and it's a great time to meet them and really iron out all the specifics on suit choices. I hope to come to a conclusion about a suit for my wife at this show.:D:D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom