Question about catching lobster...by hand.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rarely have I found that you can pull bugs straight out by their antenna. They tend to dig their horns in the top of the hole and their tails to the bottom. Trick is to get on top of the shell, push down to free the horns, then twist to free the tail. Once out, you need to tuck the tail to the body to keep him from dragging you across the reef. Before bagging the bug, you need to measure and check for an egg sack. Too small or females need to be released or risk being fined.

For big bugs in NC and FL east coast, I prefer to just carry my gun and use my gun or spare shaft to tickle them out and grab the knuckles at base of antenna with other hand. In NC the lobsters are so dumb and not afraid you just grab them. They are smarter and the ledges are deeper east FL. I put my left hand backhand on the roof of the ledge and gently tickle the lobster out. Then I quickly drop my left hand onto the antenna knuckle.

In the keys, I prefer a tickle stick and a small lobster net made out of clear plexiglass.

Best gloves hands down are Akona Kevlar.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Charlie

The trick is to leave a female or a short lobster intact with "ALL" of its appendages intact not totally manhandled with just one leg and 2 stumps for antennae left when you set it free. I have yet to break a leg or antennae off using a loop snare. Do the wildlife, the reef, and yourself a favor and purchase a snare. No need to buy some expensive gloves, I use 20$ Mechanix "impact" gloves with the padded palms and fingertips.

When grabbing a bug in a hole, try to slide your hand in just above their antenna, and pin the to the floor of the hole. At the very least, get ahold of the base of the antenna where they won't pop off. If it pins itself in the hole, give it a good shake, and they will usually let go of the rocks. Out in the open, just swim in, and in one smooth motion, pin it down in the sand, then scoop it into your chest (hold on tight). Put in your bag and repeat!

It's fairly simple. Preposition your operable hand at the top of the leading edge of the lobster's hiding place then draw out w/tickle stick utilizing your other hand and grab. Works even better if you have a partner. Hover over the leading edge of the hole facing buddy who tickle out then you grab.

good advice, I have yet to use the snare/hoop thing. I tried the tickle stick and we have the net and trident catch bag. Hubby grabs them and I hate to say, I think New England lobster with bug claws and chicken out most times. This weekend I thing I will try to perfect the hoop thing and keep my distance.
Yeah, I know before you say it, I am a total wimp when it comes to lobster attacks.

also, on the post about eels, watch the stonefish. We have come up close and personal to some big bugs only to last minute spot a stonefish in the entry pf the hole.

also, on the post about eels, watch the stonefish. We have come up close and personal to some big bugs only to last minute spot a stonefish in the entry pf the hole.

Good Point! I put my thumb up to steady myself one time. I was lucky, I put my thumb on his tail and he scooted away. They have incredible camouflage

The past few times I've been out I just used my hands with reef gloves, seemed to work fine. I hate using the net because its sometimes impossible to get them out of it when they get all tangled up underwater. My gf likes to use the lasso snare thing. But tickle stick then grab em works good for me!

On another note and considering all methods effective in their own right. I used A tickle stick and a net a couple times. There are some positives and draw backs to both methods.

1. The net method: It is fairly simple, although I didn't like having 2 items to carry or lose. At some point I found myself setting one item down to work with the other item. The net is a hindrance in tight areas and tends to snag on the reef. I did like the "feedback" or "reaction" by the lobster when using the stiff aluminum rod to tap him out.

2. The snare method: I like the simplicity of the design and it is pretty effective for most average sized lobster. It leaves one free hand while tickling and is a little more friendly in the catch and release process. Sometimes I find the bigger lobster may not "be moved" as easily with the slight flimsiness of the plastic/fiberglass snare. I'm guessing the aluminum rod makes better contact with the shell than the plastic and gets a better reaction (but that is just my educated guess).

I am very leery about putting my hand I any hole I cant fully inspect first. One time my father reached in and grabbed a bug in a hole by its antennae knuckles and wound up with a hand full of urchin spines as well. We had to cut his glove off and he used a razor blade to cut the brittle spines out that evening. Another time while snorkeling in 10 feet of water I put my arm in a simple little hole to get a bug out. Reached in grabbed his knuckles proceeded to pull him out only to realize my arm was wedged at the elbow near the end of the breath hold and it was definitely "attention" getter to say the least.

The 3 best things that you can do to increase effectiveness when lobstering in my opinion are....

1. Look in every possible crevice with a good light, they aren't always at the edge of the hole waving their flags at you.
2. Good buoyancy and steady breathing patterns are important.
3. Be patient, make slow and deliberate motions. The calmer you are the less erratic they react.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom