Question about an eBay dealer and importing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone,

I found a super sweet deal on the Abyss 52 on eBay. The problem is, he is in Italy, and I am in the US. I have heard stories of some people not getting charged customs fees and some people paying as high as 40% of the products worth. He states free shipping, but has no control once it's in the US. Does anyone have experience with this.

Thanks, adown

Cannot speak for the US but when I ship to Canada the shipping company charge the duty and federal/provincial tax. They usually did not charge anything on small letter size parcels. The value is determined by the value declared by the shipper.

i had a drysuit come in from germany free! remember you will not get parts for life with and out of n america dealer

If he's saving a chunk of change who cares? The parts in the US are not free anyway. You pay for em on the front end. Most just don't realize that.

As for customs and duties there is no set standard when sending overseas from the US. I send all over the world but use USPS not UPS or FedEx. They will rape you on fees. Is this an actul shop or individual? Can make a huge difference. And is it new, used, or old stock? All factor in on customs and duties.

He is a business. He has tons of Mares stuff. Regs to full packages. This Abyss 52 is listed at $412.00 USD and is brand new with warranty. About $38 cheaper than my lds not including tax I will pay here. I asked him about shipping USPS and he said he ships something Italiano and cannot control who they handoff to. I was set on purchasing at my lds, but $60 is $60. Even at that, it is $100.00 cheaper than the internet. My luck, customs will hit me for $150.00. Better just stay local.
Thanks, adown

USPS is United States Postal Service :) How would you expect it to be in Italy :) He is right about not controlling who delivers it. Usually the regular postal service contracts with USPS in US and Canada Post in Canada , at least this is what I have observed. If your Italian party's name starts with "ci" then I had expeciance with them too and it was delivered by our postal service - equivlent of USPS for you. Also keep in mind that here at least mares free parts for life only includes rubber parts, no seats nothing unlike Apeks. You have to ask him to make sure it is shipped to individual as there are a lot of stupid rules that you need to follow when you ship business to business and that's a pain.

But if the difference is only $60 I would get it from LDS. It is very likely that you will be charged the state tax for a package like reg if t is marked as a new unit. I think only if they mark it as repair, return, used or gift then they might waive it.

He is a business. He has tons of Mares stuff. Regs to full packages. This Abyss 52 is listed at $412.00 USD and is brand new with warranty. About $38 cheaper than my lds not including tax I will pay here. I asked him about shipping USPS and he said he ships something Italiano and cannot control who they handoff to. I was set on purchasing at my lds, but $60 is $60. Even at that, it is $100.00 cheaper than the internet. My luck, customs will hit me for $150.00. Better just stay local.
Thanks, adown

Many of the Horror stories you read about are from Canadian and European members of the forum. Unlike Canada and Europe, the US does not have a value-added tax, so customs is less concerned with imports because there is not much revenue to lose. I have received packages from relatives in Germany and Italy and never had to pay anything for customs. In the days before the manufactures closed down EU sales to the US, many people would order from DiveInn in Spain. I never heard of a customs problem on these sales.

for $60 id get the one from your lds.

I agree. For 60 dollars buy lds. I assume they will be the one to service it too.

Thanks for the replies. I will buy from my lds. I buy everything there anyway and the Abyss 52 under $450. is a steal. Yes they service all my gear and treat me very good. I just can't make a purchase like that without doing research and weighing options. I even thought about a used one for $399. My wife told me for $50. I was crazy to go used. Sometimes you just need another opinion.

Thanks again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom