Question about air2's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a die-hard DIR fan, just a humble diver.... but my experience with Air2 was not favourable.
Dave.

ok I'll bite. I bought the Aqualung Air3QC about a year ago. Not sure of the differences, but I don't have the issues that have made you uncomfortable. That said, I traded out my old inflator pretty much after the first few dives and like the Air3 more and more every dive. Truth in advertising, I always dive a 19cu pony as well, so I have a backup to my backup, though thats not my primary reason for having a pony, just works out that way. But my "Dammit! Reg knocked out of my mouth" go to is my Air3. And it works great.

OK, I come from a "it's not the gear, it's the dive" world.

So I disconnected the LP hose on 'the kid's' Air2 that hasn't seen use or service for many years. Exhaled into the mouthpiece. Surprise, surprise, the exhalation came out of the vent. No resistance to exhalation.

Next, I disconnected the LP hose on my favorite wing that is in service and use. Tried to exhale into the mouthpiece. Resistance. There is the difference.

To orally inflate, EITHER WAY you have to push a button. Release the button at the end of the exhale. Works the same for everything out there. OMG...

Attachments

• Air2.jpg
    Air2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 219
Ok so I think this is quite enlightening; I have not seen the Scubapro model before - quite surprised by the chunky design. My Air3 is below, - much more ergonomically designed than the SP. My wife dives it thumb up, I thumb down. Fits nicely in the hand either way. Ergo matters to me, maybe not everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_1164 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1164 (Small).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1165 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1165 (Small).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1166 (Small).jpg
    IMG_1166 (Small).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 82
This thread is perfectly timed for me.The less complicated (heavy) my gear is the better it is for travelling and use.
I just saw the Aeris "air 2" (missed its actual name) and I was really impressed. Has anyone got positive /negative things to say about the aeris product?

I've been diving various integrated inflator/octo for over 15 years...No issues for me.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this setup has any more task loading in an emergency than an octo on a bungee does...

I've been diving various integrated inflator/octo for over 15 years...No issues for me.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this setup has any more task loading in an emergency than an octo on a bungee does...

Because you have to ascend, in an emergency situation, with your buoyancy control device in your mouth. And that is more difficult, and undoubtedly different than you normally do it. And I'm not a fan of a bungeed octo either, I use and recommend a standard octopus setup.

You aren't likely to ever have an issue with a combo inflator, until you actually have to share air and make an emergency ascent while closely attached to a very stressed out diver.

I was once involved in a rescue when my team of 3 happened upon a diver who was having difficulties. It seems that he was left behind on the surface after an aborted attempt to submerge and now could not figure out how to establish positive buoyancy. We tried to help him but the best we could do was to hold him up from behind while one of us tried to calm him down. Eventually he was able to inflate his BC (It was an Air 2 type) and calm down. It seemed that every button he pushed was letting air out and he was sinking further.

There were many buttons that were pressed in trying to figure out how to inflate his BC and him in a panic did not help. When you are trying to help someone out it makes it easy if their rig was not so complicated.

i've used the Air 2 and found it very restrictive - hard to turn my head to the right. Additionally, letting air out of my BC during the accent was much more difficult than a standard inflator. Using a backup on a bungie under the chin and donating the primary works really well including controlling the accent after the air share is established.

I was once involved in a rescue when my team of 3 happened upon a diver who was having difficulties. It seems that he was left behind on the surface after an aborted attempt to submerge and now could not figure out how to establish positive buoyancy. We tried to help him but the best we could do was to hold him up from behind while one of us tried to calm him down. Eventually he was able to inflate his BC (It was an Air 2 type) and calm down. It seemed that every button he pushed was letting air out and he was sinking further.

There were many buttons that were pressed in trying to figure out how to inflate his BC and him in a panic did not help. When you are trying to help someone out it makes it easy if their rig was not so complicated.

???? There are 2 buttons. Just as many as there are on a standard inflator.

Back
Top Bottom