Question about air integrated computers and backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlesml3:
I still wonder if that's because we really do understand the physiology better or if it's just fear of lawsuits in our fantastically litigious society.

The slower ascent rate is indeed because we understand the physiology better. I'm not sure about whether the initial change to 30f/m was just to be more conservative or because of new findings, but current knowledge does indicate that 60f/m is too fast and may result in too much bubble growth and hence not safe enough.
As a matter of fact, deep stops are now being advocated based on new knowledge, which is slowing down the ascent even more than 30f/m. (But it is different from just a linear ascent.)

BTW, I can't help asking, do you feel the same way about seatbelts and airbags too? :wink:
It's all about statistics, and the fact that the huge majority made it through OK doesn't mean it's good enough. Almost everyone who used to drive without seatbelts made it through alive, but that doesn't mean that seatbelts are just useless encumbrances.

I must say however, that I agree that in a pinch you can make a safe ascent without a computer in most circumstances, especially if you do a generous safety stop at the roughly correct depth, which you can eyeball by looking at the surface. On top of that you will likely have a buddy to rely on. So unless you want to continue diving after a failure, I do agree that you don't really need backup instruments for diving within NDL's, especially with the fairly reliable instruments these days. (And when they fail they usually fail when you start the dive, when it's safe to abort.)

Hey Paulwlee,

You make some very excellent points. I suppose I'm a bit jaded due to some of the threads you read here on Scubaboard and other places. I once saw a thread go for 8 pages here on how to wind the string on your surface marker bouy. Don't even get me started on the one that went on about all the crap you should be taking on every dive "just in case." It got up to the point where people were looking for water/pressureproof containers for their cell phone in case they got left by the boat.

I think we've pretty much covered this topic anyway. Guage failure, head to the surface. If you have some dives you should be able to tell when you're 15 or so feet from the surface and you should be able to tell if you're rising too fast. Use your buddy. Use your experience. Don't panic. It's just a guage anyway.

-Charles

"Really! The D6 is non-AI right? So you actually prefer non-AI computers? Or you just really like the Sunnto?"

jds,

I like the AI Mares Airlab, but think the D6 or D9 with a plain air gauge would be better if I did not go AI. I already spent the money, but may switch as the Airlab wears out. Just another option to put out there. AI does have some advantages, but I like to be compact and can get all the info I need from a wrist mounted computer.

Thoughts?

Arizona

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom