Quebec's New Diving Laws?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am rather curious why you would state such a strong opinion on an issue that is considered important to alot of people (on both sides) and then say "but this is a SCUBA board, and I for one want it to remain as that." Effectively saying that no one should respond with a counter argument. I agree with you that this board should remain a scuba board and we don't need to be debating other unrelated issues and I am bothered by your bring this issue up with such a strong one sided opinion when you feel that it shouldn't be discussed here.
I hope no one is offended by this post as I have taken some time to think of a way to convey my feelings in a calm and collected manner.

Originally posted by NetDoc
about diving down here in Florida? DG asked me what the water temps were like... 72 degree is the minimum right now (the springs) with most diving in the high 70s to mid 80s. Whats a dry suit??? Surrounded by oceans, inundated by lakes, streams and 241 distinct springs! AND they finally sunk the Grove... c'mon down and dive some... work on them thar tans! :tease:

NetDoc...I hope you are offering to sponsor a bunch of Canadian Divers:D :D :D :D

OOohhh. I sooo want to respond to DG, as I sit here next to my reloading presses, trophies and awards.

But this is a scuba board, so I'll play nice and let it drop! :mgun:

I know EXACTLY how you feel, it took me a while to cool down enough to write the reply that a posted above.
I like your smiley dude. (would ask you what the trophies are for but this is a scuba board)

With all the diversity of topics and the obvious depth of feeling involved, this is one of the best threads ever.

canadian polotics infureates me
wish i was in the states some times ! and an american but it would be hard to leave this job and find annother down there this good .

Originally posted by DivingGal
As for the gun laws.... don't get me started on that. I wish guns could all magically disappear totally.
Kinda like PADI used to be about nitrox, eh?

:)

I'm a wee bit sensitive about the gun issue.... but that sort of thing can be discussed in a forum where like enthusiasts can hang out it. I'm not denying what most Americans claim of "freedom of free speech" - that we can't discuss it, I just don't think this is the venue. Americans and Canadians both live in countries that have their great points and their not-so great points. I for one wouldn't really want to change much.

As for the topic on hand - diving rules in Quebec. Right now it is very much a status quo, with no changes on how anyone dives. This is true for divers certified in Quebec or outside it's provincial borders. For instance there is a quarry in Quebec less than half an hour from Ottawa -- we still take our OW classes there for training and will continue to do so until otherwise notified. Divers can still plan dive trips to the Empress of Ireland or to Les escoumins.

I know that PADI is working with the FQAS to see if PADI training will be recognized as equivalent (or better?) that the standards that they intend to judge on... but as yet the FQAS is unsure of those standards. As they say stay tuned for news at 6pm (they're just not telling what day to listen).

I'm sure DG doesn't need a defender but....

I have lost a friend to guns. I understand her feelings as she is recently in the same boat. I just didn't react the way some others do. Thank you all for holding your tongues on a very hot issue. Can we drop it now and go back to discussing Quebec and its regulation of divers since that really is the issue of concern?

Texas has a similar language law that Quebec has. If you post a sign it must be in English and a predominant second language. (Spanish)

Scuba Police?!?!?!?!?!?

So are they going to don gear and cruise the 60' mark asking for peoples AOW cards? If you don't have one they send you to the surface? This could get scary.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom