quatros or scubapro twin jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a friend that lives and snorkels on Oahu out for his first Kona looksee nearby. I expected him to stick with me since I knew the site but quickly he headed off on his own. I did my usual game plan considering the tide and conditions, saw the usual profuse and several unusual suspects. When I got back to shore he was there and I asked him about his experience.
That has to be the best thing I’ve done since moving to Hawaii! I don’t know where you went to I looked all over for you. Gee, I went all the way to the South, then the North and came back in and sat down a while then went back out and did it all again. It was great!
I asked him what he saw, any turtles?
Oh, not a lot of fish, but they were pretty, there are turtles out there?

People are very different with different expectations. He was very happy with his route, that he motored it twice in less time than I was out and that he was pretty tired now (what a good workout!) I was happy to have covered the basically barren areas swiftly in stiff current, hang out and locate new things, saw many turtles including a collection all around me for some time and was comfortably refreshed after my ocean excursion.

So as to fins, the division remains - there is no one best fin. My positively buoyant splits work very well for me. They stay below the surface, I feel very nimble maneuvering subtly and frog over very shallow reef and without tiring I keep up with blade fin buddies on swims. I have yet to feel derision from anyone regarding my Twin Jets.

I’m certain other people find different fins better suited to their purpose. As to the original question, try them if you can and see if you think they work better for you. I was very happy with my blade fins snorkeling and wouldn’t hesitate to use them again. I’ve seen many experienced snorkelers using Mares Quatros, none asked me about my fins or expressed a dislike of them for snorkeling.

BTW, I may not be understanding the surface plane Allison Finch is referring to. It sounds to me like; when snorkeling she wants to raise the fin above the water each stroke. When outrigger canoe racing there was a lot to the paddle stroke which by necessity, breaks the surface twice each stroke. The paddle is knifed in and turned just as the blade is under before pulling and scooped up to knife back out of the water vs slapped in and pulled. It is my understanding that snorkeling does not require breaking the surface and doing so is less efficient.

jbilicska:
I've always have been using a pair of Mares Quatros for snorkeling . Does anyone know how the twin jets from Scubapro compares to the Quatro for snorkelers?
Thanks for any help
I have both, the Quatros and the Twin Jets. The Twin Jets are just too heavy in my opinion. I have used both for a few years now, and I just like the performance of the Quatros. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing the Twin Jets. I just perfer the Quatros.

BTW, I may not be understanding the surface plane Allison Finch is referring to. It sounds to me like; when snorkeling she wants to raise the fin above the water each stroke. When outrigger canoe racing there was a lot to the paddle stroke which by necessity, breaks the surface twice each stroke. The paddle is knifed in and turned just as the blade is under before pulling and scooped up to knife back out of the water vs slapped in and pulled. It is my understanding that snorkeling does not require breaking the surface and doing so is less efficient.[/QUOTE]

When a fin moves up to the surface, There is a type of "adhesion" or suction that occurs when one tries to pull it back on the downstroke (breaking the surface tension). The split allows the fin to move easily down from the surface by breaking that suction. I did not mean to imply that one lifts the fin above the surface.

Sounds simply lovely! I would wear a dress or even Twin Jets to get the chance to snorkel with you in Oahu! Really, not hijacking the thread, my point is who cares what one is wearing as long as the snorkeling/diving is as nice as you have described it to be! Now that's what it's really about. Hope to make it there soon... :confined:

:dazzler1: Thanks for all the input . I am not a diver because I have asthma and would require medical clearance before I could dive. My wife is not interested in diving therefore the two of us are just avid snorkelers. We go to our time share in the Caribbean for two weeks a year and spend between 2 -3 hours a day in the water. I had a pair of the Quatros that I liked very much. There was a small defect in one of the fins and Divers Direct told me they would replace the fins. Needless to say like a dummy I waited until the last night before our trip to try the new fins on. The bag had the right size but the fins inside were two sizes too small. Since my local dive shop kept trying to get me to try the Twin Jets I decided to take them up on it. They said to try them out and as long as I took care of them I could return them if I didn't like them. Since it was a year ago it was hard to compare which fin I liked better. The decision was made simple when Divers Direct said they no longer carry the closed foot Quatros. After reading your feedbacks I was leaning towards the split fins anyway. Once again thanks for all the help.

redrover:
I took a friend that lives and snorkels on Oahu out for his first Kona looksee nearby. I expected him to stick with me since I knew the site but quickly he headed off on his own. I did my usual game plan considering the tide and conditions, saw the usual profuse and several unusual suspects. When I got back to shore he was there and I asked him about his experience.
That has to be the best thing I’ve done since moving to Hawaii! I don’t know where you went to I looked all over for you. Gee, I went all the way to the South, then the North and came back in and sat down a while then went back out and did it all again. It was great!
I asked him what he saw, any turtles?
Oh, not a lot of fish, but they were pretty, there are turtles out there?

People are very different with different expectations. He was very happy with his route, that he motored it twice in less time than I was out and that he was pretty tired now (what a good workout!) I was happy to have covered the basically barren areas swiftly in stiff current, hang out and locate new things, saw many turtles including a collection all around me for some time and was comfortably refreshed after my ocean excursion.

So as to fins, the division remains - there is no one best fin. My positively buoyant splits work very well for me. They stay below the surface, I feel very nimble maneuvering subtly and frog over very shallow reef and without tiring I keep up with blade fin buddies on swims. I have yet to feel derision from anyone regarding my Twin Jets.

I’m certain other people find different fins better suited to their purpose. As to the original question, try them if you can and see if you think they work better for you. I was very happy with my blade fins snorkeling and wouldn’t hesitate to use them again. I’ve seen many experienced snorkelers using Mares Quatros, none asked me about my fins or expressed a dislike of them for snorkeling.

BTW, I may not be understanding the surface plane Allison Finch is referring to. It sounds to me like; when snorkeling she wants to raise the fin above the water each stroke. When outrigger canoe racing there was a lot to the paddle stroke which by necessity, breaks the surface twice each stroke. The paddle is knifed in and turned just as the blade is under before pulling and scooped up to knife back out of the water vs slapped in and pulled. It is my understanding that snorkeling does not require breaking the surface and doing so is less efficient.

It does sound fantastic. We find that every time we go back over a reef we see things in plain sight that we missed the first time around. But you're right its nice to have the power to get out where you need to be but you have to slow down once you get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom