quatros or scubapro twin jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbilicska

Contributor
Reaction score
I've always have been using a pair of Mares Quatros for snorkeling . Does anyone know how the twin jets from Scubapro compares to the Quatro for snorkelers?
Thanks for any help

From what I have experienced, read and been told most (certainly not all I'm sure) would use Quattros over Twin Jets for snorkeling. I own both and If I were to snorkel the last thing I would reach for would be Twin Jets. My (black) Twin Jets are HEAVY, and too expensive. Actually, if I were ONLY going to snorkel I would buy something cheap and be content as snorkeling doesn't really require much effort from your legs, just a small kick to move you casually about, although as you know your Quattros are considered a top of the line fin and do a very nice job with that already. Good luck! Again, JMHO's. Just curious, why are you planning on changing?

scubadobadoo:
From what I have experienced, read and been told most (certainly not all I'm sure) would use Quattros over Twin Jets for snorkeling. I own both and If I were to snorkel the last thing I would reach for would be Twin Jets. JMHO. Actually, if I were ONLY going to snorkel would I buy something cheap and be content as snorkeling doesn't really require much effort from your legs, just a small kick to move you casually about. Snorkeling and speed don't usually go hand in hand in MOST cases. Good luck! Again, JMHO.
Why the Twin Jets last to choose to snorkle?

Heavy, expensive, over kill for a CASUAL experience. The Black version is heavy anyway. I think I am also thinking why would anyone get rid of a $100 pair of excellent fins and buy a $189 pair of perhaps equally excellent fins, especially when only snorkeling. Not that snorkeling isn't as important as diving. :crafty: Now it has been proven (in perhaps unbiased testing) that Twin Jets are FASTER than Quattros but speed and snorkeling USAULLY don't go hand in hand.

I will also admit that I prefer my Quattros over my Twin Jet fins. :eyebrow: I never could get used to that little flutter kick. I am a frog kinda guy. Now, regular Jets, I love them, but again not for snorkeling and for the same reasons I listed in the first sentence of this post. Again, JMHO's. :wink:

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't always wear fins while snorkeling if the conditions permit.

Thanks for explaining, I was wondering if I was doing something wrong to use them when snorkeling. My CostCo expensive (LOL) upgrade fins worked fine for years of snorkeling, but not so good when I began diving. I agree, as much as my knee likes my shockingly expensive Twin Jets, I wouldn’t suggest paying that to just snorkel. Well, not unless money was no object, a desire to be ridiculed by many divers and you wanted the workout carrying them anywhere.LOL

I disagree totally with the splits being poor for snorkeling. The very design is quite suited to surface swimming. The split helps break the tension of the surface making them effortless to kick while breaking the surface plane. Paddle fins have more difficulty breaking the surface plane due to the "suction". Try them and compare. For snorkeling, I'd definitely choose the split.

I think personal preference will rule here in this debate. Some love Splits and some can't stand them. I did try them and compared the Splits straight to EBAY. Again, just a personal preference clearly because my Splits sold very quickly.

Now Allison is right about the whole "less effort" theory but again that is really just a theory not worth spending $189 bucks to try when you already own a $100 pair of perfectly good fins.

On the other hand Allison and MANY others love Splits. You will be able to find a ton of debates on this very issue by doing a search, but as Allison said, trying them will probably solve it for you. Just don't spend $189 to do so. Happy diving all, even in yer Splits Allison... :wink:

BTW, I was only refering to Twin Jets as was the original poster (specifically the black ones) and not all Splits. I still stand by my statement that a pair of $189 negative fins might not be the best choice for snorkeling. :11ztongue

I have the colored twin jets and I wouldn't use anything else. The colored ones are not negative and will float to the surface.

We had splits for diving for a while, until we went back to Quattros. They were sort of OK for diving (if you like to flutter) but they were entirely useless for snorkelling. We went on a Manta snorkel and kids in cheap rental fins were completely blowing us away. We are pretty fit - it was definitely the fins - completely worthless on the surface.

Allison Finch:
I disagree totally with the splits being poor for snorkeling. The very design is quite suited to surface swimming. The split helps break the tension of the surface making them effortless to kick while breaking the surface plane. Paddle fins have more difficulty breaking the surface plane due to the "suction". Try them and compare. For snorkeling, I'd definitely choose the split.

A good split fin will, IMHO, be excellent for snorkeling.

Our Apollo bio-fin is manufactured using 100% natural rubber and is negative. The Apollo bio-fins stay in the water and are very efficent. Those divers who prefer a fin that floats can find several other good versions with the Nature's Wing design. I have a friend who owns a house in Mexico and snorkels daily for several months each year. He uses a pair of full foot Apollo UNI fins. He has many stories of divers trashing about
while he sails by using his split fins. This fin argument will, probably, never end. Some people like stick shift, others automatic. As always, the solution is to dive a lot and keep an open mind. I have 8-9 pairs of fins and have owned many more. Each diver has their own opinion. Boards, such as this, help us all with a healthy debate and discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom