Quarry Diving in Ohio at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

France Park your local quarry?
My local Quarry....Falling rock park in la grange KY...the vis has been pretty rough every time I have been...granted, I haven't been that much as I just got certified last year...but every time I went, it was pretty meh

The vis is quite amazing.

Ahhh memories! I honestly do miss Gilboa. I've logged 100+ dives there over the years before moving south. I've seen insanely good viz there as others have mentioned. 70+ is not unheard of when the conditions are right. But if it has been rainy and windy, not so good. It's a fantastic training site and just a great dive all around. They even have a beautiful (and huge) sturgeon that I was blessed to see while on my last dive to date at Gilboa on New Year's Day 2016!!

Visibility has been pretty good at Gilboa and White Star this year. Last Sunday afternoon at White Star, visibility was the best I've ever seen there. 80ft maybe? Could not believe it. I suppose everything will turn green in August as usual, but right now things are good.

I did portions of my Tech training there as Lake Erie wouldn't cooperate. Nice dive spot. Have thought of a family trip if the border doesn't open in time for our booked trip to Tobermory.

Visibility has been pretty good at Gilboa and White Star this year. Last Sunday afternoon at White Star, visibility was the best I've ever seen there. 80ft maybe? Could not believe it. I suppose everything will turn green in August as usual, but right now things are good.

I was at White Star Thursday. Third time within the past six weeks or so. Viz has been awesome each time.

This was viz at Gilboa back in November. I'm the one with white fins.

77541CA9-C62C-4C6B-A5FD-058CB2770ED1.jpeg

My local Quarry....Falling rock park in la grange KY...the vis has been pretty rough every time I have been...granted, I haven't been that much as I just got certified last year...but every time I went, it was pretty meh

My local quarry is Haigh, near Kankakee, IL, south of Chicago. 15ft viz is a good day. That's what whenever I'm at White Star or Gilboa, I'm delighted by the usually better viz.

Marie 13 -- That is an awesome Gilboa picture. I've done (I think) most of the quarry circuit in Ohio the last few years -- Gilboa, White Star, Circleville, Lancaster (Lakeview RV), Newark (Northpoint) and Sugar Grove. I've enjoyed all of them. Any other spots in Ohio worth checking out?

Marie 13 -- That is an awesome Gilboa picture. I've done (I think) most of the quarry circuit in Ohio the last few years -- Gilboa, White Star, Circleville, Lancaster (Lakeview RV), Newark (Northpoint) and Sugar Grove. I've enjoyed all of them. Any other spots in Ohio worth checking out?

Not that I'm aware of. Pennyroyal in KY is one I'd like to check out occasionally. Wazee Lake up in WI is where I'll be going some more this summer. Tech class deco dives there. Was already there once for a skills weekend a month ago.

Yes, I've thought about Pennyroyal, although if I'm going to go that far afield to dive in cold water, I'd like to actually try to get out on the Great Lakes. My only attempt on Lake Erie got blown out due to high waves a few years ago. We'll try again one of these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom