Q about Vehicle break-in on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick question, I am leaving for my first trip to Bonaire in the morning(OHHHHHH YEA!!!!!!!!!!), should you leave your dive bag, extra gear(Mask or straps), and misc. stuff back at the hotel? Are these items fair game also?

Just leave the stuff in your room. Most of the dive sites are less than 5 miles away from most resorts, if your gear is in good shape odds are you will not need it. If you feel you must take along something take it under with you. It's unfortunate but for whatever reason the thief problem that does exist on Bonaire is way less than some here would have you believe. Take nothing you don't need, take old shoes, tshirts and water to the sites and leave the windows rolled down.

The more I see this thread, the more I want to do some in field research! I wonder what would happen if a hundred or more of us descended on Bonaire for a week? Bonaire is on our short/short list of places to do our next ScubaBoard invasion so this is not out of the question. In my mind, there is nothing safer than large numbers of people going in and out of the water at the same site. Like our other invasions, it will include food/lodging/alcohol and diving for an unbelievable price. Like this post to vote for Bonaire as our next invasion destination.I bet we can even get them to include NitrOx this time. If it's a go, you can expect details to be forthcoming in about a week or so.

Crime is everywhere, especially car prowls at every tourist attraction in the world. Unfortunately it's a fact of life, and something not so easily solved. Personally, I appreciate that the rental car companies take the steps they do to inform you of the risk and how to avoid getting your stuff stolen and the car damaged. Easy to avoid.

Just so you know, the car rental companies are actually telling you that if you roll the windows up or lock the car and the car gets damage IE: somebody breaks the window or jimmys the door lock - you are paying for it. That's what the warning actually is if you read it, the insurance you paid for is void. I don't consider that anything to pat the car rental company on the back for, but that's just me.

Last edited:
The more I see this thread, the more I want to do some in field research! I wonder what would happen if a hundred or more of us descended on Bonaire for a week? Bonaire is on our short/short list of places to do our next ScubaBoard invasion so this is not out of the question. In my mind, there is nothing safer than large numbers of people going in and out of the water at the same site. Like our other invasions, it will include food/lodging/alcohol and diving for an unbelievable price. Like this post to vote for Bonaire as our next invasion destination.I bet we can even get them to include NitrOx this time. If it's a go, you can expect details to be forthcoming in about a week or so.

Pete, I'm in and let me know if I can help.
The thing that gets me is how some seem to go to Bonaire had have loads of problems -2 "breakins" in 3 trips and everyone they know has lots of problems while others of us like myself - I have over 25 trips since 99 with groups a large as 25- that have little to no problems. In all the years/trips I have had gas stolen once and on my last trip one of our group had a watch taken out of his truck....which he accidently left in the bed. We have no way of knowing who stole the watch, may have been locals but it could have just as well been another diver as much as I hate to say it. Do problems exist, yes they do but the levels are no where near what some would have you believe.

Quick question, I am leaving for my first trip to Bonaire in the morning(OHHHHHH YEA!!!!!!!!!!), should you leave your dive bag, extra gear(Mask or straps), and misc. stuff back at the hotel? Are these items fair game also?

DO take tank o-rings with you though.

Pete-It's a great destination! I am sure you and everyone involved will LOVE it!

The safety thing really is a non-issue..I have not been as many times as Herman (only 5) but I have had ZERO problems and the island, the people and the food are a delight!

I brought my cheap back-up glasses while shore diving and left them on the center console of the truck; no-one's gonna steal a pair of prescription glasses. At least that was my experience for 32 shore dives in Bonaire.

Money, truck key, ID, and credit card went in pocket of drysuit undergarment. (+1 for reasons to dive dry everywhere.)

I wouldn't leave shorts or anything with pockets/etc in the truck. Someone might grab them in the hope that there's money in the pockets. They won't take the time to go through the pockets while in your truck - or remove the belt - they'll just grab and go. They will be long-gone when they realize there's no money, and they'll just toss the shorts out the window.

Bonaire + Drysuit ???
Yup. And Caymans, Curaçao, Truk, T&C, Hawaii, Red Sea, etc, etc...

5-6 dives a day, long deco dives, deep dives, etc = lost body heat unless the water is 90+

Ever done a 90min night dive at Town Pier?

:d

Back
Top Bottom