Q about backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fundies isn't about lights. Take the course without them, as far as that is concerned.

Just to add, to get a tech pass (he toying with doing cave1) back-up light deployment is a required skill so definitely bring the lights but Doc is correct, the class isn't about lights so at this point, I doubt battery choice would be of much concern.

My entire team uses the same lights which is great in several ways, we all use the same batteries so we can share spares and spare parts can be shared as well.

Cool, thanks for all the feedback, this is what I wanted to hear. Jason- I sent you a PM. I definitely want to take you up on the offer.

I thought the SL4 bulb was a 4.5V that UK was over-driving to 6V? That way the Scout light was providing the correct amount of voltage so as to not sacrifice reliability/burn time for brightness...

But I've been known to be wrong before. :)

That is correct. But, since LEDs are slowly replacing halogen anyway this will probably become a historical footnote as to why we use c cells.

Almost all dive lights other than the scouts and their clones overdrive the halogen bulb to make them burn brighter. Unfortunately, this also reduces the life of the bulb which is mostly likely to fail when the light is first turned on. Before going to LEDs with a much longer life, I changed the bulbs every time I changed the batteries.

That is correct. But, since LEDs are slowly replacing halogen anyway this will probably become a historical footnote as to why we use c cells.

If the price of LED lights ever comes down to realistic levels. :cwmddd:

Here is link to incandescent bulbs in general it also goes into to detail about under and over driving them. Talks a bit about soft start also, I have two incandescent lights that use a voltage regulator and over drive the lamps but use soft start. I have noticed a great increase in lamp life and you get a very nice bright light with better color temp (just wish they made dive lights with them).

The Great Internet Light Bulb Book, Part I

If the price of LED lights ever comes down to realistic levels. :cwmddd:

If the cost of an LED even makes you blink, stick with diving that doesn't require backup lights because you don't even want to know what the real costs are.

If the cost of an LED even makes you blink, stick with diving that doesn't require backup lights because you don't even want to know what the real costs are.

Never a truer statement mate.
I am averaging about $150 per T1 dive around here, and that's not including cost of gear, reg/tank maintenance, multitudes of broken primary lights etc ...

Cave diving is no cheaper as I have to fly there!

Seriously though, the LED backups are not hugely unreasonable given how much brighter they are than the halogen. Definite nobrainer for me.

Seriously though, the LED backups are not hugely unreasonable given how much brighter they are than the halogen. Definite nobrainer for me.

It's not so much the absolute price as the fact that everyone seems to be selling these lights for $70 more than the halogen versions despite the fact that they should be cheaper to make.

I don't mind spending the money necessary to dive - it's just when I feel I'm getting ripped off that I don't like it.

In fact, it would be easy to convert a halogen backup to LED for under $10 - I just wouldn't fancy trusting my safety to a home-hacked light...

I thought the SL4 bulb was a 4.5V that UK was over-driving to 6V? That way the Scout light was providing the correct amount of voltage so as to not sacrifice reliability/burn time for brightness...

But I've been known to be wrong before. :)

Not exactly sure the rated voltage of the halogen bulbs. They are seriously whimpy though. Like a faint candle. Fortunately, the UK SL4led module is a drop in replacement. On the scouts and scout clones all that you need to do is put some tape or heat shrink on the metal strip coming up from the base of the light. Oh and flip the batteries around.

It's not so much the absolute price as the fact that everyone seems to be selling these lights for $70 more than the halogen versions despite the fact that they should be cheaper to make.

I don't mind spending the money necessary to dive - it's just when I feel I'm getting ripped off that I don't like it.

In fact, it would be easy to convert a halogen backup to LED for under $10 - I just wouldn't fancy trusting my safety to a home-hacked light...

Photon Torpedo is only $40 more for LED vs. halogen.

gulftex

I agree the Scout price is absurd... especially considering the Photon is superior in pretty much every way, IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom