Q&A and Covid updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
There has been a massive amount of general to very specific information about covid on SB but it’s scattered across multiple threads and forums with some good info deleted because it is off topic to that thread. So I have created a thread for anything and everything covid (as long as you keep the discussion polite). If it is a general travel safety concern you might post that here.

Is it possible to travel responsibly (during a pandemic)?

Or response to the vaccine...

Who's gotten the COVID vaccine? Who's planning to?

If it is a question about a specific regional question it might be answered more directly in that forum. Such as the Cozumel thread...

Covid testing in Cozumel

And Bonaire here...

Covid surging in Bonaire

I got this question in another thread:
OK, but I don't see how the CDC guidelines can be observed or be effective on a liveaboard when you are living for several days in an enclosed volume of air with strangers. Screening guests can't be 100% effective for a number of reasons (recent exposure not showing up on tests, potential false negatives, etc.). If someone aboard were to become ill while you are at sea, or worse yet, become an asymptomatic carrier, what would you do?

But full disclosure: I freely admit that I have never been on a liveaboard, although in these days and times I am certain not to any time soon.

Here is my response:
I guess you don’t read my report. For social distancing in the LOB dining room, here is their rule:
The meal (breakfast, lunch & dinner) were served by the hosts during this pandemic situation, no buffet. The dining room would be kept into maximum of 14 divers at a time. For example, Shark 1 and Mantas would dine first and after 30 minutes, they were asked to vacate the dining room to let Shark 2 to have their turn to dine. On the next day, Shark 2 would dine first. Shark 1 and Mantas would dine after Shark 2 left the dining room. This alternating order of meal time was conducted for the 8 days we were on the boat.

Everyone’s body temperatures (including the crew’s) were daily measured, logged and reviewed by Captain Shep.

They have sanitizer bottles mounted / placed every where.

Everyone wore mask when they were outside of their cabins, except during mealtime, where we were spread over the huge dining area.

Before boarding the boat, we were required to go through a medical check in interview three hours before boarding the boat. That includes submitting a negative PCR test within 7 days of boarding and a log sheet of our body temperatures, measured twice a day for 7 days prior to boarding the boat. A medical professional would review the document, measured your body temperature, blood pressure and interview you for any medical conditions that would indicate of any symptoms of COVID-19 exposure (fever or chills, coughing, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, new confusion, inability to wake or stay awake, bluish lips or face). Then everyone was thoroughly sprayed with disinfectant, before stepping on the boat.

After passing the checkin interview and everyone having no symptoms of COVID-19 exposure in the boat for a week, I felt like we were in a COVID-19 free bubble, like at home. Disembarking the boat felt like we were back in the virus invested environment in the port. Even worse when I was back in Houston airport, facing those mask deniers with useless bandana on their chin.

Belize is open. There are some confusions about their COVID-19 restrictions posted in another thread. So, I responded what I learned as I’ll be going there next week.

Oh, i was just reviewing the package thread and i see that it now says proof of Covid 19 vaccination required.
I'm fortunate enough to be able to get it because of my job, and have already gotten the first shot. I think we need to know what is going to be considered acceptable as proof. I dont know if this is a standardized thing, but In NYC, we get this white card where they just write the date, location, and batch # of the shots you get. If i did it right, should have a pic uploaded for reference
574550-cb15dadccbcffd43d6fa6d03cfef7cd3.jpg

Just want to clear up some confusions. Not everyone will get vaccinated in time. Also being vaccinated is not a guarantee than you will not be spreading the virus (if you happen to contract it somehow while traveling) to those that haven’t got vaccinated. So, Belize requires the foreign visitors to get COVID-19 negative results from either PCR test within 96 hours before arriving in Belize or antigen test within 48 hours before arriving in Belize. You can get the antigen test when you arrive at Belize airport for $50 & 2 hours waiting for the results. Hopefully the result is negative or you’ll be quarantined there for 2 weeks. You can find more detail info, here: Belize COVID-19 Update for Travellers | BTB

I’ll be in Belize next week in another resort. That’s why I know this.

Before going to Belize, you can get a free PCR test in some major cities in USA by applying & scheduling appointment with
COVID-19 Testing & Health Services | Curative

Have fun & stay safe!
Dan

Most severe covid linked to...
AD276A3E-AC06-4ECA-85D7-644D76DACA6A.jpeg

Maybe someone can answer this: Moderna & Pfizer's efficacy is about 95% while Johnson & Johnson is about 68%. All three studies were international and on 18 year olds and up. Has anyone seen data of efficacy broken down by age? If infection rates are higher with age, would it be reasonable to expect that efficacy would also vary with age?

This matters because a vaccine's efficacy is part of the mathematically simple herd immunity calculation. Also, some people might find this interesting: Visualizing & formulas behind herd immunity.

If infection rates are higher with age, would it be reasonable to expect that efficacy would also vary with age?

The CDC has a website called
Risk for COVID-19 Infection, Hospitalization, and Death By Age Group
that breaks down risk for cases (infection), hospitalization and death by age). I'm surprised that the rate compared to the reference group (aged 5-17) is 3x for people 18-29, but then stays 2x from ages 30 onward past 85 years of age.

Since people in their 80's are reasonably expected to have different life styles (e.g.: rates of employment, movement in society, isolation, nursing home placement), I would not have expected such a consistent finding. On the 2nd chart, the risks of hospitalization and death are far worse as people age.

Immune function may decline with age (hence why shingles, reactivation of latent viral infection from childhood, tends to occur late in life). But Pfizer has a website with Phase 3 data stating
  • "Efficacy was consistent across age, gender, race and ethnicity demographics; observed efficacy in adults over 65 years of age was over 94%"
Medscape 3-3-21 had an article (on the Pfizer vaccine, I believe):
BMI, Age, and Gender Affect COVID-19 Vaccine Antibody Response
- "The study involved 248 healthcare workers who each received two doses of the vaccine. Of the participants, 99.5% developed a humoral immune response after the second dose. Those responses varied by body mass index (BMI), age, and gender.

"The findings imply that female, lean and young people have an increased capacity to mount humoral immune responses compared to male, overweight and older populations," say Raul Pellini, professor at the IRCCS Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy, and colleagues."

"In the Italian study, the participants ― 158 women and 90 men ― were assigned to receive a priming BNT162b2 vaccine dose with a booster at day 21. Blood and nasopharyngeal swabs were collected at baseline and 7 days after the second vaccine dose.

After the second dose, 99.5% of participants developed a humoral immune response; one person did not respond. None tested positive for SARS-CoV-2.

Titers of SARS-CoV-2 binding antibodies were greater in younger than in older participants. There were statistically significant differences between those aged 37 years and younger (453.5 AU/mL) in comparison with those aged 47 to 56 years (239.8 AU/mL; P = .005), those aged 37 years and younger vs those older than 56 years (453.5 vs 182.4 AU/mL; P < .0001), and those aged 37 to 47 years vs those older than 56 years (330.9 vs 182.4 AU/mL; P = .01).

Antibody response was significantly greater for women than for men (338.5 vs 212.6 AU/mL; P = .001).

Humoral responses were greater in persons of normal-weight BMI (18.5 to 24.9 kg/m2; 325.8 AU/mL) and those of underweight BMI (<18.5 kg/m2; 455.4 AU/mL) compared with persons with preobesity, defined as BMI of 25 to 29.9 kg/m2 (222.4 AU/mL), and those with obesity (BMI ≥30 kg/m2; 167.0 AU/mL; P < .0001). This association remained after adjustment for age (P = .003)."

There's more to immune resistance than antibody levels. Each of us varies across a range of variables (e.g.: age, sex, weight, fitness, co-morbid medical conditions). It's also important to be mindful vaccine protection covers more than the efficacy %. I've read that the % 'failure' isn't really failure. So if you get the Pfizer vaccine and you're in the 5% that catches COVID-19 anyway, you still benefit - you're much less likely to get hospitalized or die compared to an otherwise similar non-vaccinated person with COVID-19.

I don't have an age/efficacy graph for each vaccine, but maybe that info. will be of interest.

@drrich2: thanks for your thorough response.

But Pfizer has a website with Phase 3 data stating
  • "Efficacy was consistent across age, gender, race and ethnicity demographics; observed efficacy in adults over 65 years of age was over 94%"

This does not surprise me with Pfizer, and probably Moderna, since their efficacy is so high. My thought about the best-use of the J&J vaccine my prove academic if ENSEMBLE 2 proves that a 2nd dose/booster provides efficacy near Pfizer & Moderna's 95%.

Wikipedia: Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine
A second Phase III clinical trial called ENSEMBLE 2 started enrollment on 12 November 2020. ENSEMBLE 2 differs from ENSEMBLE in that its study participants will receive two intramuscular (IM) injections of Ad26.COV2.S, one on day 1 and the next on day 57.​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom