PVC Square Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USMCRet

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to build three PVC squares that I can use with my Peak Performance Buoyancy classes. Not having built one of these things before, I started out with a 4'X4' square. When I put it all together it was so big you could almost drive a truck through it.

Does anyone know what the "optimum" size a PVC square like this should be? Something big enough that your average diver in full gear can swim through, while being small enough to offer a little bit of a challenge.

USMCRet

Why not use Hula Hoops? I've seen people use those in the deeper pools. Don't know how durable they would be for open water though.

I had actually thought of that.... but decided to go with PVC, as I can seal it better. My little one took her hula hoop in the pool, and the thing got water inside it.

USMCRet

There are some in a lake I've been to. Don't recall the exact size, but they were less than 4 ft I'm sure. They were tied to a cinder block or other weight and floated in a diamond shape (one corner tied off to the weight). It seems that the diagonal of the square was not 2 shoulder widths - a bit tighter.

You can also use a float (ball, styrofoam, whatever) tied to the upper corner to ensure it will remain in the desired orientation even if it floods. This would even work with the hula hoops.

Good Luck!

Let's say you did a 2' x 2'. The diagonal would then be the sq root of 2^2 + 2^2 or 4 + 4 or sq rt of 8. that is 2 * sqrt of two, or 2 * 1.41 = 2.8 or 2 feet, nine inches.

Plug in your own numbers, and figure something.

Not sure of the size, but when I did mine the PVC diamonds where not connected at the top corner. Each top pipe just had a cap to close it off. This made for a breakaway type arrangement. I thought it was a good idea.

Hello, probably the PVC is not the best material to realize your project.
Today there exist alternatives that you can be more useful.

Do not forget to raise photos.
Regards

Measure the width of the hula hoops and make a square the same width?

Or you could make octagons with 45-degree PVC joints...

why not make several starting at 4 feet then getting progressively smaller that way people can get a feel for it witht the bigger ones and the uber bouyancy guys can squeeze throught the smallest ones?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom