PVC Diameter for Tank Rack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rand

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to put together a tank rack for my truck that is based upon the PVC tank racks that line the sides of dive boats. I was wondering what diameter PVC to use. I'm looking for something that will fit steel 100's with boot inside of the PVC.

I know the dimensions of my tanks, but wasn't sure of the inside diameter of the PVC pipes. My initial thought is that 8" pipes would work, but I was wondering if anyone has tried them to know for sure.

Also, are the PVC racks found on dive boats a special thickness of PVC and if so, where do you buy them?

Thanks.

most dive boats I've been on with PVC racks are just normal PVC for exact size I'd measure the diameter of your tank including the boot, then measure the inside of some pipe at the hardware store. Make sure you don't make it too tight :wink:

The racks I have seen seem to usually be just standard plumbing PVC. However, since many pipe manufacturers will make any diameter you want as long as you order a couple hundred feet it may be some is not.

There are different kinds of PVC pipe - white water pipe and green sewer pipe being the most common - that differ slightly in size, which gives you a little flexibility in finding what you need.

Only thing is, they usually come in 20" lengths, and get pretty expensive in the larger diameters you are looking for. If you go to the pipe dealer, you can often find damaged or broken, shorter, pieces, which you can haggle for.

Also construction sites often have piles of short leftover bits of the large diameter pipe, usually mostly the green stuff, that they will often let you take for free, if you find the right person to ask.

PVC however wouldn't be my first choice for a truck rack as it is weak in its resistance to impact, so it cannot be counted on to hold the tank secure in a collision.

contact a local mechanical contractor, you are looking for a piece of 10" or 12" pvc, you will not be able to use the bell end unless you split the pipe length wise, take the tank with you, I know a 10" will fit an al80 with a boot.

PVC becomes brittle with UV exposure-easily solved by throwing some paint on it thou. You'll need to find something that bonds well to plastic. Krylon and Rustoleum both have stuff to cover that. I would scuff up the pipe with sandpaper first to ensure a good bond.

I know this post is old, but wanted to add a picture of my rack. I have more pipe if somepne is interested.

Here is the picture.

Attachments

• Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,482
That's VERY nice! It appears to be Schd 80. What size pipe?

BTW- for those folks looking for a reference that will provide the dimensions for PVC pipe of varying sizes take a look at Harvel PVC Pipe Schedule 40 & 80 Dimensions—Harvel Plastics, Inc.
Also if you register on their site you can access their "Engineering and Design Data" which gives the "Critical Collapse Pressure Rating"- the pressure at which the pipe will fail when submerged.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom