Putting together your own manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexxred

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recently I bought to 2 steel faber tanks 10.5 l, tank bands and a faber isolation manifold. I've never setup doubles before, but to me it seemed pretty straight forward. So I put it all together and took it to my LDS to get the tanks filled with the intention of getting into a pool and playing with my new setup to get used it. I was told that the manifold would need to be taken apart lubricated and put together by a technician. Now I understand that it's important to assemble this equipment the right way, but hell surely this would be something easy to learn. Anyone got any hits or comments on how I would be able to learn this stuff myself.

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for the help. As for the manifold itself the LDS said that as it came in pieces it would need to be taken apart and lubrocated. I understand that's is important, but surely, if I have access to the step by step know how I should be able to performs such a task my myself. Can anyone adivse me on other consideration that I might need to take in the futher when it comes to do the job myself.

If you're mechanically inclined, go for it. Cobb's pages is what helped me assemble my first set of doubles with no one around to help. Found it quite easy. The worst part is making sure you don't crossthread the crossbar. Take it easy and slow.

Roak

Man do I feel like a dummy. When I put it on, I did with the tanks standing up, I hope that I've not crossed the tread. Having said that I did take it slow and at no point felt that I needed to apply force to turn the crossbar. Would I be correct in saying that if I had crossed the thread I would have felt increased resistance??

alexxred:
Would I be correct in saying that if I had crossed the thread I would have felt increased resistance??

Yup. The manifolds are brass, pretty soft, and the threads are pretty fine. The real problem is that for the first turn or two it's pretty hard to know you've crossed the threads, but as you spin then up it gets very evident.

If you successfully made up the manifold so the tank centers match the bands, it's very unlikely you fubared the threads.

It is important that when you are done, i.e. bands on and snug, that the cross bar still can be turn with just a slight effort.

If the cross bar turns Ok when the bands are loose, but binds when the bands are snug, you don't have the manifold adjusted correctly.

Much better info that the above on the links others have provided.

Regards,

Tobin

Just a question, if I have managed to cross the threads, how would I be able to tell? Would I be correct in assuming that they would simple not turn smoothly?

alexxred:
Just a question, if I have managed to cross the threads, how would I be able to tell? Would I be correct in assuming that they would simple not turn smoothly?

Alex,

I took my best shot with my last answer. If that doesn't help, then I guess all I can say about crossed threads is you will know it when it happens, but only after it's too late.

Again, from your description, it does not sound to me like you crossed anything.

Tobin

Alex,
To back up what Tobin said, you would definitely feel some significant resistance had you cross threaded the cross bar. If the fittings are turning smoothly without requiring force, then you can be reasonably assured the parts have been assembled properly. Brass has a tendency to gall and become very difficult to turn when cross threaded.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom