Question Realistic to use same set of Steel 12s for backmount AND sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on personal experience, I suggest you take the plunge and get dedicated gear -- tanks and regulators alike -- for both BM and SM. Switching tanks from SM to BM doubles and then back is a labor-intensive chore. Switching regulator hoses isn't complicated or difficult, but it's tedious. Both are time-sucks. You're better off paying the money upfront and saving multiple hours on the back end.

OP. Give it a try sometime. Assemble a set of doubles then dissamble and reassemble. See how much effort it is. I keep my twins and my singles separated - too much effort for me.

Yeah my idea was nice in theory, but not very practical...
I was already convinced about keeping the D12 as a double set and find some other tanks for sidemount. But thanks for all the confirmation.

Yeah my idea was nice in theory, but not very practical...

About regulators then. I am trying to get my hands on a nice pair of 5lp port, swivel turrent first stages and matching second stages. Tecline R2 Tec 2 sidemount set, including hoses, SPGs etc.

I suppose these would work with backmount doubles too, right? Just have to switch out the short hose for another length and switch out one SPG hose as well. Is switching out hoses very bad for the threads inside the ports? Or is that doable if I keep things lubricated well enough?
Switching hoses or regulator components is easy. Just make sure to (a) tighten the hose/regulator/etc to hand tight. Then (b) use a tool to make it a little tighter than hand-tight.

If you don't do that little bit extra, you might end up having a hose come loose underwater (like I had happen once).

Update: I bought a very nice D12 steel concave twinset with good-as-new valves and manifold. Used, but it just had the hydro test and valve service last week. They will stay a twinset. And the xDeep Hydros 50 wing is underway from Poland.
Happy diver!

Yes?
Oh yes that's magnificent have fun!

Back
Top Bottom