Putting on a wetsuit???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mksmith713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm from the NE USA and want to start diving locally but the water temps are so cold that I bought a ScubaPro 7mm one piece wetsuit over the internet for a person my size (XLS).
When I got it, I damnned near had a coronary trying it on.
Then I remembered overhearring a DM in Roatan telling another diver that putting a wetsuit on in ALOT easier if you wet it first.
I've always dived tropical water and have never needed a wetsuit before now so the whole wetsuit thing is new to me.
Will it be much easier if I wet it first or will I have to trade my suit in for a bigger size?

Here's an excerpt from, a draft I have been working on for my Web site, forgive the formatting:

For this discussion lets talk about a "full suit" or what is sometimes called a 1 piece or jumpsuit. The same principals apply to all suits styles.
* Begin my turning the legs of the suit inside out except roughly the bottom 6-8 inches.
* Put a foot down through the leg opening and get the bottom cuff up to the ball of your ankle.
* Insert the other foot in the same manner.
* With you feet now through the suit begin to roll the suit up your legs. When up to the knees stop and check the height and side to side alignment of the kneepads. Be sure these are right before proceeding.
* Now keep rolling your way up the thighs
* Wiggle it up over your buttocks
* Stop to make sure it's pulled up with a good close fit in the crotch
* Roll the suit up your belly.
* If you wish you may turn the sleeves mostly inside out and enter just as you did the legs. Otherwise you can "punch" out through the sleeves, one arm at a time.
* Be sure that the suit is worked well up onto your shoulders before attempting to zip it up.
* Using the lanyard you can zip the suit shut. Sometimes the zipper will snag on the sealing flap so when trying a suit it's best that a buddy or clerk do the zipping for you.
* Note that this description said nothing about jumping, cursing, dancing, wearing fingers to the bone or any other stressful practices.
* We'll get to some other tricks later on.

So there you are all zipped up in a wetsuit. How can you tell if it fits? Here are a few things to check for:
* Range of motion. It is important that you have good mobility while diving. You should be able to do the following as well with your suit on as off.
+ Put one palm on the opposite shoulder
+ Repeat for the other side.
+ Extend both arms straight up. You should not feel rubber bands pulling your arms down
+ Bend forward and touch your toes.
+ Challenge your overall mobility, you should be unhindered
* Check your breathing. The suit should not hinder your inhaling and it should not help you exhale.
* One way to check the fit in the chest area is to unzip the back of a full suit or the front of a Jacket. Now that you have been in the suit is should be well up onto your shoulders and fitting neutrally. Have your assistant zip the suit up. The zipper should not be stretching the suit material by much more than one inch. We're talking about elongation of the rubber, not just pulling it back against your skin.
* The suit should have very few wrinkles and nothing you would call a baggy sag.

Pete

Try getting a dive skin. That might help it go on easier.

Wetting it will help in some combinations but it's not always a practical option for cold water diving. Assuming the suit fits right there are a few things that can help ease things when needed.

Suit Snot: A mixture of 1/3 cheap hair conditioner and 2/3 water in a pump sprayer. Helpful mainly on arms and shoulders.

Many like using cheap plastic bags on feet and hands. Remove them once you're through the suit.

Many swear by dive skins but I consider them counter productive to the function of a well fit wet suit and a waste of money.

It is a skill the develops with practice so be patient. Cold water diving is not that hard to gear up for with a little practice.

Pete

I second the suit juice - we haven't tried the home-made mixture, but we bought a bottle of it from our LDS, and it makes things sooo much easier.

Also, your suit will loosen up the more you use it, so that's something nice to look forward too.

btw, if you're diving in cooler waters, you may also want to look into a hood (with gloves & booties of course!). I tend to get cold easily, so I got a hooded vest and it helps a lot when we dive in 55 degree water. The vest is a super big pain to get in & out of, but worth it.

Buy a Henderson hyperstretch.

That's the answer.

I thought of a lubricant before but wasn't sure how it would effect the reef.
Has anyone considered baby oil or petroleum jelly.
What do lubricants do to wetsuits as far as long term damage.
I know petro jelly plays hell on car tires and anything else rubber.......:( :shakehead:
It looking like I may be shopping for a 2XS....if there is such a thing.

I thought of a lubricant before but wasn't sure how it would effect the reef.
Has anyone considered baby oil or petroleum jelly.
What do lubricants do to wetsuits as far as long term damage.
I know petro jelly plays hell on car tires and anything else rubber.......:( :shakehead:
It looking like I may be shopping for a 2XS....if there is such a thing.

Baby oil and petroleum jelly are bad for any rubber. Neoprene being resistant to mineral oils comes in different grades, I just would not risk using any oils on my wet suit.
Something that could help until your wet suit has taken some slack is KY Jelly. Rub some on your legs and start donning your suit, apply as needed if an area grabs too much. It's great also on dry suit seals.

You might switch to a dry suit in the future, way more comfy than wet suit diving in your area.

Good diving.

I've heard of baby shampoo cut with H2O heavily for slipumon juice

Financial considerations prevent me from buying a drysuit.
Buttttt.....if given the choice....for the same $$$$, I'll take airfare, lodging and 7 days of diving in Roatan before a drysuit any day......:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom