Have you ever pushed your limits without prior training

• Yes

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • NO

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I expect I'll be pusing some limits this weekend with Chickdiver... ok guys get your head out of the gutter.. we'll be in THE CAVE!! :D

When you gradually or cautiously push your limits, you improve your diving. How can you know your limits if you don't 'test the waters ?'

Cave diving?! Perhaps I'm wrong however, I think that MOST of YOU cave divers will agree (deep inside at least) - - - pushing your limits in cave diving? Isn't cave diving in itself, pushing the limits? It has always intimidated me and I think y'all (Texan coming out) are at least a little nuts.

Hugs,
Dweeb

The more diving I do, the more limitation oriented I have become.

After some initial cave training and about 50 cave dives, I wanted to dive more and looked for better training. After that 5 day class, my cave dives where half the distance and time but 10 times better.

Using the same limitations and actively diving, I increased my range with solid basics and much more confidence in my ability.

I also became much more limitation oriented on the dive site selection, passage size and team.

The more limits I set for myself...the better the diving.

And yes...I have pushed those limits and got burned at least 1 out of every 3 times.

Solution: Stick to my personal limits and don't compromise.

Only I can weigh out the risk of my diving. And, I need to voice my limitations to my team BEFORE the dive. I expect them to do the same.

I would have to ask you what you mean by prior training? Does that mean only certification?

If so, then yes, my buddy and I have certainly pushed the limits of our official training without becoming certified to the next level of training.

However, we also educated ourselves before doing so in order to fully understand which rules we were going to break and why, and what the possible consequences of those actions might be. We then took steps to minimize the risk to ourselves and prepare for those risks before making dives that were technically were not within our training limits. Also, there were a couple of instances where we had 'supervision' sort of. For example, we participated in some ocean diving with a charter that specifically stated that you must be advanced open water certified to make the dives. We called the DM and told him up front that we were not AOW, but that we were confident we could do the dives. He told us to come up a day earlier than the charter and dive with him, that he would assess our skills and make a decision. Then he let us do the dives, and to be quite honest, we were more proficient than the majority of AOW's on the charter.

I'm not going to tell you not to push your limits, though that would be the responsible thing to do, but I will tell you that even if 'formal' certification is not involved, do some reading, talk to some experienced people and prepare yourself before you do it. Then have a damn good time!

Those that never push their limits never better themselves. If you don't "push the limit", it never moves.

Now if the question is "have you ever exceeded your training limits", then I think the answer from 99% of the people will be yes. Whether they admit it or not, they have. Hell, maybe they don't even realize they exceeded the limits of their training.

Mike

What a great topic!

What do you do when you run out of classes and want to dive bigger, deeper, longer, and in varying conditions?

You adapt, improvise and overcome!

I push mental and physical limits several times a week.

As a side note, some training is not worth very much. For big dives, you have to either a) build up to them, b) learn from someone who has already done them, or c) be a body recovery!

For dives where information is of the utmost importance, take the class (cave, mixed gas, etc..) If you are accustomed to cave diving and have never been in the ocean, take a class (informal is better than nothing) and learn the PARTICULAR hazards of the PARTICULAR environment.

Remember that it never hurts to have too much information (unless you are someone talking to my wife at a 10 year reunion :D )

This could potentially be the best topic on the board!

I press my limits when I think I am ready to do so, but only with divers more experienced than myself... some people may say that this makes me a "stroke" but I don't agree. I think that pushing your limits in a controlled way is the ONLY way you will learn how to be a better diver (and find where your limits exist for that matter)

:)

I was certified by Darwin... Of course I push the limits... We didn't need no stinkin' cave card to dive caves... Just like we didn't need no stinkin' c-card to dive...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom