Push Notifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey @agilis and @tursiops this Is a site support thread please take the war elsewhere.
I came here to get info about push notifications so question.. Where do I turn them on if I dismissed the pop up asking to enable them?

Hey @agilis and @tursiops this Is a site support thread please take the war elsewhere.
I came here to get info about push notifications so question.. Where do I turn them on if I dismissed the pop up asking to enable them?
War? What war? I acknowledged the extreme fear of entering the water that Turniptop helpfully pointed out. This realization doth help me deal with this fear. I understand that these extraneous exchanges may clog up the thread, so there will be nothing further. You can't turn off those notifications. You're stuck for life, even if you change your name and move to Canada.

They are improving your user experience. If you don't feel that way, it's because as a user, you're still too inexperienced to understand what's good for you. Trust the computer, the computer is your friend.

They are improving your user experience. If you don't feel that way, it's because as a user, you're still too inexperienced to understand what's good for you. Trust the computer, the computer is your friend.
Me thinks you posted this in the wrong thread yo!
Were you responding to the dive computer thread?
Or not I may or may not be confused from reading both threads at the same time :bigpalm:

Push notifications: wouldn't it be wonderful if, when you're driving through the city around lunch time, your cellphone would tell you all about today's mouth-watering specials in the restaurant you're about to drive past? That didn't work out because of them pesky regulators and laws, but now in Freedom of Innovation that is The Internet, we can finally do it.

But wait, there is more...

Preferences.
Top bar -> click your account name -> preferences
Scroll down till Push notifications

I allowed them now I get notifications when I'm NOT on SB. I don't why I'd want that? I'm glad it can be disabled.

I realize this current discussion is absurd, but I thought I would like to step in and say that the sentence "Methinks you doth protest too much." is incorrect grammatically for two reasons.

1. You are using "you" in its modern, singular sense but pairing it with an archaic singular verb form. If you are going to use the archaic verb form, you need to use the archaic singular pronoun, which is "thou."

2. The archaic "doth" is grammatically incorrect when used with either the modern "you" or "thou." In the quote from Hamlet, the verb's subject is "lady," which is third person singular. In the original quote, "doth" is correct, because it is the third person singular form of the verb. The second person singular form of the verb is "dost."

Therefore, the sentence should be "Methinks thou dost protest too much."

One might argue that the hint of animosity in the exchange above argues against the use of "thou," since that was also the familiar form of the second person singular and would imply friendship. That use of "you" as the second person singular formal, though, comes from a later period in history and would have been paired with "do." (That is what got the Quakers in trouble; the "society of friends" addressed everyone in the familiar form, even the king, and the social superiors did not like being linked as friends to that riff-raff.) We have gotten rid of the familiar, or friendly, form of the second person, because we do not want to be friends with anyone in the modern world.

I realize this current discussion is absurd, but I thought I would like to step in and say that the sentence "Methinks you doth protest too much." is incorrect grammatically for two reasons.

1. You are using "you" in its modern, singular sense but pairing it with an archaic singular verb form. If you are going to use the archaic verb form, you need to use the archaic singular pronoun, which is "thou."

2. The archaic "doth" is grammatically incorrect when used with either the modern "you" or "thou." In the quote from Hamlet, the the subject is "lady," which is third person singular. In the original quote, "doth" is correct, because it is the third person singular form of the verb. The second person singular form of the verb is "dost."

Therefore, the sentence should be "Methinks thou dost protest too much."

One might argue that the hint of animosity in the exchange above argues against the use of "thou," since that was also the familiar form of the second person singular and would imply friendship. That use of "you" as the second person singular formal, though, comes from a later period in history and would have been paired with "do." (That is what got the Quakers in trouble; the "society of friends" addressed everyone in the familiar form, even the king, and the social superiors did not like being linked as friends to that riff-raff.) We have gotten rid of the familiar, or friendly, form of the second person, because we do not want to be friends with anyone in the modern world.
Uhhh, thanks. Methinks I stand corrected.

I allowed them now I get notifications when I'm NOT on SB. I don't why I'd want that? I'm glad it can be disabled.

Like I said, imagine if back in late 90's they let us do it to peoples' cellphones, and without explicit opt-in too.

Back
Top Bottom