Push Notifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agilis

Cat Lives Matter
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What is a push notification? I'm unaware of anybody/anything pushing on me. In any case I've got excellent balance. Can Scubaboard somehow detect a malefactor attempting to push me?

I think it's probably a notification that pops up on your computer screen when some conditions are met. For example, if you follow a thread and somebody posts to that thread, a little notification pops up on your screen. You didn't ask for it (that would be a "pull"), it was "forced" on you (hence "push").

Personally, I find them distracting but I can see why some folks love them. I approve of ScubaBoard offering them: To each their own!

Or I could be partially or completely wrong. Maybe somebody is out to shove you over. Just because your paranoid doesn't mean nobody is out to get you.

What is a push notification? I'm unaware of anybody/anything pushing on me. In any case I've got excellent balance. Can Scubaboard somehow detect a malefactor attempting to push me?

A push notification is not an instructor whispering in your ear that it's now really time to stop hesitating and jump into the water.
It's a little popup on your screen, looking like this:
Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 21.33.35.png

You can always enable or disable push notifications in your preferences:

Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 21.29.40.png

Below, you can select yourself if you want an email notification for certain events, or a push notification, or both.

Try it. Don't like it? Go to your preferences and disable it.

A push notification is not an instructor whispering in your ear that it's now really time to stop hesitating and jump into the water.
View attachment 685147

View attachment 685146

Below, you can select yourself if you want an email notification for certain events, or a push notification, or both.

Thanks for including a screenshot. I used to get those in my email at work, but didn't know they had a name.

View attachment 685147

View attachment 685146

I prefer to get most notifications via mail delivery. Real mail, the kind that comes with a stamp and is delivered to the mailbox near my front door. When someone replies directly to a post I made, that little bell sign is entirely adequate. Otherwise, I prefer not to be troubled with unrequested, unwanted, and annoying attention getters.

View attachment 685147

View attachment 685146

Another thing: In over 50 years of scuba diving I've never had anyone encourage me to enter the water. I think these kind of 'hesitations' occur mostly with inadequately experienced advanced open water certificationeers who still are a bit afraid, usually because they have been inadequately trained by instructors using the currently standardized scandalously brief instruction programs.

Another thing: In over 50 years of scuba diving I've never had anyone encourage me to enter the water. I think these kind of 'hesitations' occur mostly with inadequately experienced advanced open water certificationeers who still are a bit afraid, usually because they have been inadequately trained by instructors using the currently standardized scandalously brief instruction programs.
Methinks you doth protest too much.

'The lady doth protest too much, methinks', is the proper word order of Hamlet's observation. The folks back home must be beaming with pride at your literary accomplishments.

But you are correct. Even now, after decades of diving, they have to forcefully pry my fingers off the railing and toss my squirming body into the air to get me into the water. And that's just at the pool.

'The lady doth protest too much, methinks', is the proper word order of Hamlet's observation. The folks back home must be beaming with pride at your literary accomplishments.
The folks back home are laughing that you thought what I posted was a quote.

The folks back home are laughing that you thought what I posted was a quote.
I guess it was silly of me not to realize that the word 'doth' is part of your everyday vocabulary. How wonderful it was that you came up with a sentence, all on your own, that so closely resembled something written by the bard of Avon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom