Purging, Pony's and Panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I live in the midwest and I don't let the cold stop me from diving. Because the water temps are regularly in the low 40's this winter I have been concerned about free-flows due to the cold. I also don't have a steady regular buddy so I really want be as self reliant as possible. Because of this I decided to add a AL40 slung pony bottle to my gear in case of emergency.

On my first time out with the stage we were doing a fun dive in the local quarry. I was fortunate to be diving with some very experienced divers that I have been with before and trusted them. I let them know that at the end of the dive during the safety stop I wanted to practice switching to my stage this way they wouldn't think I was actually out of air if they looked over and saw me on the bottle.

So at the end of the dive once we reach 15ft I signal to my buddy, a cave diver on a rebreather, that I am ready to switch. She is floating directly in front of me facing me within 3-4ft or so.

I pull my stage reg out to begin the switch with my left hand, then I pull my primary out of my mouth with my right hand and it immediately starts free-flowing. I hastily shove the stage reg in my mouth and suck - WATER. I try again- water and again- water all the while my primary is in my right hand free flowing a wall of bubbles in front of me. I start to panic. I remember thinking just go up, then I thought that's a bad idea. Eventually I got my wits back and remembered that I was still holding a working air source in my right hand so I quickly jammed it back in my mouth and coughed and breathed and coughed some more.

After surfacing I told them what happened and we checked out my stage reg to make sure it wasn't malfunctioning I was sure I didn't put it in upside down because I specifically remembered to check that.

It was a rough experience. The closest I have felt to drowning, but it was a good experience too because I saw panic and I dealt with it.

On the next dive of the day I was very nervous about using my stage again. This time I went down with the same buddy while she watched me. We went to a platform at about 15 ft and I got down on my knees and pulled out my stage reg again. It took me a good 5 breaths or so before I was able to remove my primary and try to breathe off of this one again. I did it without an issues and then practiced switching back and forth about 5 more times before we went off and continued our dive.

On the drive home from the quarry I went over and over in my head what happened and this is what I figured out. When I pulled my primary out of my mouth I turned it mouth piece up, this caused the free-flow. Then I jammed the stage in my mouth and forgot to purge because of the free flow. I had also been in the habit of purging my regs by blowing through them rather than using the purge button but in this situation I didn't have a breath to purge with so I kept sucking water.

The next week I went to the pool and practiced switching back and forth and started using the purge button every time to purge my reg. I want to be in the habit of purging manually in case I am in a situation again and need air quickly. I also will practice more often switching to my stage so it becomes a more natural movement if I ever need it.

Moral of the story. Purge with the purge button, Practice with new equipment, don't just strap on a pony and think you're safe (Make sure you know how to use it and you are practiced at it.) There are probably some more morals to this story and I am sure scubaboard will point them out to me :)

Do you feel there is some difference between breathing off a pony bottle and a normal octopus? This seems to have absolutely NOTHING to do with a pony, as far as I can tell? Glad you are practicing now.

An unhappy juxtaposition of a new procedure with an unfamiliar stressor, and it all came out okay.

You are not the only person to have, under stress, forgotten to purge a reg, but you did better than Bob did in this story: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...those-pesky-careless-moments.html#post4634161

I had a full free-flow on a dive in my first six months of diving, and I was amazed at how much the horrible noise and reduced visibility affected my ability to think. It doesn't surprise me that you didn't analyze and correct the issue with the sling tank regulator.

You obviously learned that the gas switching procedure needs practice to be facile, and I hope you also learned that you probably ought to freeflow a reg at the end of a dive a few times, until you get used to the noise and the bubbles.

You are right. It really has nothing to do with the pony bottle. It has more to do with me having bad habits when switching regs. Now I purge with the button every time no matter what reg it is.

---------- Post added April 22nd, 2013 at 09:26 PM ----------

You obviously learned that the gas switching procedure needs practice to be facile, and I hope you also learned that you probably ought to freeflow a reg at the end of a dive a few times, until you get used to the noise and the bubbles.

I didn't think about doing that. I'll have to add that to my practice. I just need to be careful because the water is cold and could freeze the first stage. Maybe I'll save that practice for the pool.

Not to beat a dead horse on try this/do that, but feathering the valve is another valuable tool in the tool box. Just something to be comfortable doing IF the need ever arose.

Thanks for the post ScubaInChicago. Got to love SB! I just learned a new skill or will when I get a chance to practice it in 3 weeks. Not sure how easy it will be to reach valve though...

Thanks for the post ScubaInChicago. Got to love SB! I just learned a new skill or will when I get a chance to practice it in 3 weeks. Not sure how easy it will be to reach valve though...

If it is a stage bottle, it is simple to reach the valve. that is the whole idea of wearing it there. As for best practice... I never had any training in stage bottle use etc.. but, is it taught to press the purge when switching from one second stage to another? I would think that is unnecessary in most situations and could initiate a freeflow in some situations..

If it is a stage bottle, it is simple to reach the valve. that is the whole idea of wearing it there.

You are right of course if it is my stage regulator. I was thinking more if its the primary regulator.

IfAs for best practice... I never had any training in stage bottle use etc.. but, is it taught to press the purge when switching from one second stage to another? I would think that is unnecessary in most situations and could initiate a freeflow in some situations..

I have not had training with a pony either (in fact it is a recent addition to my dive gear) but after reading of a similar misadventure where a diver didn't have enough air to purge, I regularly practice manually purging with button so that it is second nature if the need arises, to both my pony regulator and my alternate air in OOA drills.

I am constantly switching between regs. I dive with a 30cu ft pony/added air or can do sidemount and lately have added independent back mounted twins. The best way is practice, practice, and more practice. Repetition breeds memory and comfort. Find what works for you and work it. I find that when it's time to switch I take a deep breath and remove one reg while the other is in my other hand ready. Insert reg and exhale to clear. Again the more you do it the more it becomes a non issue. Good luck, safe diving!!

Back
Top Bottom