Purge mask failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wish we had a few more LDS's around with better selection
A much discussed topic. The number of LDSs around will continue to reduce until people realise the value of having an LDS and are prepared to pay for that service. If that doesn't happen we may lose all of them.

The main problem that I had experienced with purge masks is that when you turn over and face the sky, underwater, the purge will leak.

Thus I gave up all my purge masks, and changed out to standard non-purge masks instead, which is what I now dive with.

For snorkeling I think the purge masks are great. But underwater, for scuba, the non-purge ones are better.

I had 2 USD masks with purge valves fail about 1979 after about 10 years of use. The rubber rotted. The masks would leave black marks around my face they were so old.

I have not had the newer silicon valves fail yet. TUSA Imprex over 12 years old. Aqua Lung over 5 years. Newer SEADIVE no problem. Do not really need a purge with the new soft feathered mask edges. The purge mask costs about $7 more. I kind of like it though.

I have had sand or seaweed in the valve, but not when I am wearing it. I notice it when I am rinsing my gear off. No big deal just rinse it out.

I have both a purge and a non-purge SeaVision. Neither leaks (well, all masks leak a tiny bit, occasionally, even perfectly fitting masks).

I have never had a problem with the purge, in any way. It's very small, tight to the bottom of the nose cup, doesn't interfere with the regulator, or equalizing.

In my case, I have a disk issue with my neck (too many sports injuries), so looking up to clear isn't as comfortable as it used to be. So, the purge is perfect. Never have to move my head to clear, which for me is more of a necessity, than a convenience. However, I don't see why, given the reliability of this purge, and the complete lack of issues, it can't be a convenience for anyone else that prefers to use it.

I have used the same brand of US divers purge valve mask since 1997 (had to replace one due to theft in Bonaire) without incident. I like the convience of the purge valve and use one mask for snorkling and diving. I have had no problems with leaks, failure of the valve or sand getting stuck in the valve. It does require two hands to equalize.

I have had several masks over the years. With and without purge valves. The mask I used the most was an old Dacor three pane large volume mask with a purge valve. The purge worked perfectly even on beach dives. I did eventually replace it ten years later when it started to leak. the leaks were caused by the silicone becoming less flexible. the purge was actually helpful clearing the leaks.

I replaced it with a TUSA Imprex hyperdy that also has a purge valve. I still have this mask today and it workd perfectly fine. No issues with the purge valve.

What do I dive with today?

I dive with a frameless low volume black skirted mask. It does not leak so I don't need the purge to help with clearing. The black skirt keeps reflections to a minimum and the main reason I like it is because of the greater field of view.

My 7 year old uses the mask with the purge valve and is perfect for her since she has not perfected clearing her mask yet while snorkeling. She loves the purge valve.

You want the purge valve if your mask leaks, you don't really need it if it does not leak. Fit, field of view and minimum reflections are the most important considerations. Purge valves for kids or divers that have problems with mustches and fit. That is how I summarize my experience with masks.

Great reply's from all and a ton of usefull information. It sounds like best case is find a good fitting mask that reliably does not leak which for me because of my location is an issue. I just wish we had a few more LDS's around with better selection. Moving forward I may look for a low volume mask so at least when I do have to clear it is a bit easier. If that does not work and barring finding a great fitting mask I may have try a purge mask.

Again thanks to all

This is a case where the simplest might be the best. Take a look at the Dive Rite Double Lens Mask ( $60 from Dive Rite Express). This is a low volume, very simple, black mask popular with cave divers.

Thanks for all the reply's. I took some time and tried to figure out what all the issues with my current masks actualy are. On some dives especially towrds the end of a weel ong dive trip I can get a pretty leak free mask which I assume is from the amount of time I have had to get it to fit just right. I wear a hood and that is always an issue as it can sometimes get stuck under the edge of the mask. I am pretty good at keeping track of this but it does happen. I have a mustach and would shave it but i look so good with it I hate too.......lol. I sometimes forget to shave the top protion to allow the mask to sit flatr on my face. Looking at the masks I have the common theme is the mask skirts are all quite wide. I know this is to fit as many faces as possible. Thinking along the lines of what dkktsunami has said above I ordered a Halcyon mask. It is a small double lens low volume mask. I just received it and tried it on. I have not been under water with it but examining the fit very closely this mask may just work. The skirt is much smaller so even with shaving the upper portion of the mustach it sits nicely between my nose and mustach so shaving is going to give me some extra clearence. It is also small enough around that my hood has some room to move with effecting it. This looks like it may solve 2 of the issues and being low volume it should easier and quicker to clear. I am not going to be diving for a few days to be able to test it out but I have to move my docks tonight so I will use it for that and see how the leak factor is.

Incidently, I found my really old deep sea purge mask a few nights ago while cleaning out my boat and gave it a try. This mask is probably 15 years old or more. It is a smaller mask so it fits my face fairly well. I did some snorkling around the bay just to give it a try and the purge still works and no real leaks to speak of but this is not diving with a hood on and reg in my mouth so I will have to test it out for the fun of it.

Regards

The Halcyon mask is a huge success. I tried it tonight and not a drop of water to be had. I actually had to flood it to make sure it wasn't just full of water the whole time. lol. Clears in no time being so much lower volume than what I had. All I can say is it makes diving so much more enjoyable with a great fitting mask. Thanks to all that repsonded and kept me hunting for the right mask.

I too have used purge and nonpurge masks over the years, the problem I have seen with most purge masks, is they are a joke. Few seem to be designed as a purge mask from the ground up, instead it seems like the purge was added on the way out the door. My favorite "modern" purge mask is the Scubapro Tri-vent, which was discontinued about 10-15 years ago, it was obviously designed as a purge mask from the ground up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom