Purge mask failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too have used purge and nonpurge masks over the years, the problem I have seen with most purge masks, is they are a joke. Few seem to be designed as a purge mask from the ground up, instead it seems like the purge was added on the way out the door.
I'm trying to understand what you mean by this.

Purges are simple one-way valves... just a secondary function on a mask, and not engineering marvels requiring months on a CAD system. Some are tight and unobtrusive, others aren't. However, I don't see why you're suggesting that a mask has to be designed around a purge "from the ground up," as opposed to a simple purge just being added to a mask.

For me it just simply works.

I'm trying to understand what you mean by this.

Purges are simple one-way valves... just a secondary function on a mask, and not engineering marvels requiring months on a CAD system. Some are tight and unobtrusive, others aren't. However, I don't see why you're suggesting that a mask has to be designed around a purge "from the ground up," as opposed to a simple purge just being added to a mask.

Google or search ebay for the scubapro trivent mask and see how it is not just a tack on purge vent like you seem to think all purge masks are. Instead it has built in channels to vent the air out to the side, recessed finger pockets, etc.

Unfortunately for quite a few people it doesn't, at least not for long. That's the point. If it were a totally reliable and perfectly performing unobtrusive part of a mask I might tolerate one, but it does tend to be obtrusive and its performance is not guaranteed.

Running a dive resort I see many different divers with much equipment that I wouldn't choose for myself, including purge valves that don't work, whether fitted to masks or snorkels. Sometimes it seems to be the way they've been stored since the previous dive holiday, because once the neoprene poppet acquires a set that set is permanent, and it won't seal properly. Otherwise it's simply stuff in the water that drifts in and out, causing sporadic operation.

I use purge snorkels myself from time to time and often experience operational problems, whether they're fresh from new stock or getting on a bit.

To me a purge valve is just an unnecessary failure point with a poor track record.

Google or search ebay for the scubapro trivent mask and see how it is not just a tack on purge vent like you seem to think all purge masks are. Instead it has built in channels to vent the air out to the side, recessed finger pockets, etc.
Yep, I took a look.
It vents air out the sides. My understanding, and use, of the purge is to vent water. Now, if you want to do all your exhales out your nose, that's another story.
Recessed finger pockets... nice, assuming you care. When I equalize, I grab my nose... I don't need 'recessed finger pockets.'

I have no doubt you felt the Tri-vent was a good choice for you. And that's all that matters.

Calling every other purge "a joke" because they don't vent air out the sides, or have recessed finger pockets to equalize, is a bit disingenuous.

Btw... the purge I use is still on the market... I guess it sells...

Unfortunately for quite a few people it doesn't, at least not for long. That's the point. If it were a totally reliable and perfectly performing unobtrusive part of a mask I might tolerate one, but it does tend to be obtrusive and its performance is not guaranteed.
Like many other types of gear, you're probably right. Different strokes for different strokes... :wink:

In my case (and speaking solely for myself), I have a couple hundred dives on the purge version of this mask, without a single hiccup. So, up until (and including) now, reliability hasn't been a problem. Quality varies from one brand to another, even from one model to another within the same brand. So, like most gear, you experiment until you have what works for you most consistently.

I have both purge and non-purge versions of the SeaVision, and if I wasn't clearing, I couldn't tell which one I was wearing. So obtrusiveness doesn't seem to be a problem either.

As for absolute guarantees on anything... :) ...

Back
Top Bottom