Purge mask failure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone actually ever experienced a failure with the purge valve on a mask or is that all hype?

I am in the process of changing some of my gear from items that give me issues to items that fit better and work better for me. When I finally found fins that fit my rock boots it got me to thinking just how comfortable my gear should be instead of having to put up with gear that works but is not quite right. A big problem for me is we do not have too many dive shops around here so trying things on is next to impossible which brings me to masks.

I currently have two that I like........at least when they are not leaking. I have tried many but I must have one of those hard to fit faces or smile way to much when diving because I just can not get one that is dry all of or at least most of the time and I am sick and tired of clearing all the time. It's not hard just something I shouldn't have to do.

With this in mind and since I can not seem to find a mask that will not leak I am resigned to getting one with a purge so all I have to do is blow and go. My only reservation is what I have read in the past about purge failures. I can live with the name calling because it is better than what I am usually called, lol.

So any failures out there or any other reason I shouldn't get a low volume purge mask that will make my diving more enjoyable?

Regards

I have used a purge mask for over 5 years without a problem. My mask seems to work fine in all temps, depths, and conditions.

When I first saw purge valves in masks, they were a real problem. If you were a nose pinching equalizer, the valve had a tendency to pop out if you squeezed close to it. This was resolved in later models by the addition of a retention device which would keep it from popping out.

Since I discourage the use of purge masks in my class, I haven't seen many. The bigger issue I have seen with the two students having them in the last year relates to the retention piece extending too far below the nose pocket and causing interference with the reg. There isn't a huge amount of clearance between reg and bottom of nose pocket, so adding real estate to the bottom of the pocket was forcing the reg downward and placing stress on the mouthpiece.

Another issue is that the valve is solid and can make pinching the end of your nose impossible.

But, there are a lot of masks out there with purges and these issues are not necessarily consistent across all of them.

Hi Scott,
Some history:
I started diving (mid 70's) with a mask that had a purge. It was a huge multi paned, side view mask-kind of like a bay window with straps. Evidently, the addition of the purge mechanism required an increase in the overall volume of the already large mask.
It worked pretty well- as long as no sand/salt/whatevers got into the purge valve-during or between dives. These items would cause the valve itself to leak, which would defeat the purpose of the purge.

{{EDIT to add: My ridiculously slow typing enabled others to post ahead of me-good!, because 24940's post reminded me of a few more annoyances of the purge valve, that I had forgotten about over time. they were/could be nuisances.}}

As I said, it worked, until after 3-4 years, the purge flap (?)-the actual one-way valve part of the purge- dried up. It was brittle, no longer flexible, so: it no longer worked. Time for a new mask.
I looked at new masks-with and withut purge valves- I saw some that looked good, but I also some where it seemed like the purge valve was NOT at the "low point" of the mask. The mask was designed in such a way -possibly to increase visibility- that portions of the mask were able to retain standing water, no matter how hard you tried to clear the mask via the purge valve. (That "actual experience" info was from another diver-I never tried that particular mask, as I thought it would have had the problem.)

Since the late '70s, I have used non-purge masks, and don't think that I would go back. My experience is that the lower volume non-purge mask is sometimes easier to clear than a larger mask tht has a purge valve.

Having said all that, IMO:

1) Are you sure that you cannot find a mask to fit?? There are a number of threads floating around SB that have some good ideas on finding/fitting masks.

2) I would hope that the materials, technology, design, and size of purge valved masks has changed over the years. There may be several well designed low volume purge masks available today. If not, you might have to weight the pros and cons of "larger volume" vs "purge valve",as well as some of the problems in the other posts.

3) Keep in mind that some will tell you that "the purge valve is another potential failure point"....and they are probably right.

4) Remember-it is your mask-and if you want one with a purge-go for it.

Take care,
Mike

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is helpful at all, but it sounds to me as if you simply haven't found a well-fitting mask yet. If you have to clear all the time, a purge valve may aleviate the symptoms, but it sounds to me as if it might be more worthwhile to work on fixing the root of the problem. You don't say in your post whether you dive with a hood. If you do, try wearing the mask strap under the hood, unless you have already tried that. My dives with a hood used to be mask-flooding nightmares, until I tried this and the problem never occurred again. In another case, I had a mask that suddenly started leaking for no apparent reason. I figured it might just have been a little old and the material wasn't as supple as it used to be, although it seemed ok. I replaced the mask, and voila, problem solved. In my personal opinion, purge valve masks are for snorkeling.

I don't see many of these masks here, but a few people do bring them. With the particles of seagrass we often have floating in the water here, these purge valves often give trouble and leak. The same is true of snorkels with purge valves. While I can see the attraction of purge snorkels I find I can manage perfectly well with a simple bent tube snorkel and that's what I use. I really can't see the point of purge masks, for the reasons above and because they introduce unnecessary complication and a major failure point. It's so easy to clear a conventional mask and clearing is needed so seldom if it fits properly that I'll use one of my favourite sayings again here - it's to an extent a solution in search of a problem.

Back in the old days there were many masks that had purge valves. There were many designs around. Some had the valve installed right on the glass others had a pocket specifically design for the nose and the purge valve. The valves were of the same design as the exhaust valve in a regulator (or as today’s pure valves in many snorkels). They rarely ever leaked, malfunction, or had to be replaced. They were great.

Then all of a sudden I don’t know what happen, but I will tell you my theory: the movie Thunderball came around and Emilio Largo the SPECTRE arch criminal was wearing a Voit mask with a very large exhaust valve/ nose pocket, on the other hand, Bond…James Bond was wearing a traditional oval mask were you could see his face during many of the scenes in the movie. So, from there on only bad guys wear masks with purge valves.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Note: Nine out of ten arch criminal henchmen prefer Voit.

Largo and his men transporting the atomic bombs back to the Disco Volante.

007Thunderball01.jpg

Emilio Largo

ac002.jpg

Added:
Humm...Now that I think about it, this is probably what kill the double hose regulator also.

Last edited:
I used a purge mask by OceanMaster for several years. I loved it. Never a problem with the valve, pinching my nose or anything else.

Finally decided to buy a new mask and I bought an Atomic Subframe. Atomic doesn't offer a purge but clearing a mask is so easy I didn't mind at all.

While there's very little leaking with this new mask I do miss the purge valve.

Great reply's from all and a ton of usefull information. It sounds like best case is find a good fitting mask that reliably does not leak which for me because of my location is an issue. I just wish we had a few more LDS's around with better selection. Moving forward I may look for a low volume mask so at least when I do have to clear it is a bit easier. If that does not work and barring finding a great fitting mask I may have try a purge mask.

Again thanks to all

I never bothered replacing the purge mask I got when I was first certified, and it's been working fine for over a year and a half. I've got a small nose so I end up compressing against the valve when I equalize too, and that's never been a problem. All in all, it works fine and as-advertised.

When it's time to replace this mask, I'll go with a lower volume, non-purge mask, just because the purge isn't adding a whole lot of value for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom