Pure Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoyed watching this....we get few opportunities to see commercial divers in their own element, doing the real dives....thanks for sharing!!

It used to be hard to get the footage. I wanted ROV footage from a 1000 ft saturation dive I did in Norway, to show my kids, but they wouldn't let me have it. Obviously there are ways around it :wink:

It used to be hard to get the footage. I wanted ROV footage from a 1000 ft saturation dive I did in Norway, to show my kids, but they wouldn't let me have it. Obviously there are ways around it :wink:

All footage is owned by the Commercial Diving company (and so stipulated in all contracts with sub-contractors). This is for insurance and liability purposes and some companies are more strict on this policy than others. I had a paragraph in my employment agreement with Global Industries that I wouldn't even copy anything (film or digital) and I was the Director of Diving Operations. Anyone caught possessing such material would be terminated. Talk about a hard line policy... Fortunately a Senior VP provided me with some photos when I left the company to be an Independent Consultant.

All footage is owned by the Commercial Diving company (and so stipulated in all contracts with sub-contractors). This is for insurance and liability purposes and some companies are more strict on this policy than others. I had a paragraph in my employment agreement with Global Industries that I wouldn't even copy anything (film or digital) and I was the Director of Diving Operations. Anyone caught possessing such material would be terminated. Talk about a hard line policy... Fortunately a Senior VP provided me with some photos when I left the company to be an Independent Consultant.

That is strict policy where you can't own any of the film of your diving operations. I guess this must be a common thing where the companies own all content.

That is strict policy where you can't own any of the film of your diving operations. I guess this must be a common thing where the companies own all content.

Yes, the insurance companies want the company to maintain control of all visual and audio records. The insurance rates are incredible, as it is. I suppose it makes sense from a liability perspective as well that the company retains ownership.

I never thought to ask, because Stena, my employer for all my years in the North Sea, were very strict about it.
Its only when I saw ROV footage on Youtube that I even thought to ask.
It was a no go.
There were 3 veteran Canadian divers in the Forties field who had whole hard drives filled with ROV footage.
Not sure how they managed.
I bet you know them Wayne, but I would not name them.

I never thought to ask, because Stena, my employer for all my years in the North Sea, were very strict about it.
Its only when I saw ROV footage on Youtube that I even thought to ask. It was a no go. There were 3 veteran Canadian divers in the Forties field who had whole hard drives filled with ROV footage.Not sure how they managed.I bet you know them Wayne, but I would not name them.

Although the commercial offshore is relatively a closed-knit group; having worked with Global for so many years, I don't know as many people as other divers who've worked for a number of companies on a job-to-job basis. This wasn't my experience, as I mainly had full-time employment with one company (if you ask me, that's the way it should be). When I went into private consulting, I only got to know the Oil Executives and Diving Company Presidents and Dive Operations Directors. Even when I was one, I felt they were a boring lot when compared to the rank and file of Sat Divers... :)

---------- Post added June 20th, 2013 at 01:51 PM ----------

Can't be common that companies would be clumsy in the protection of their content.

When I saw you were from Toronto, I had to check-out your personal page to see where you were trained. The lake in your photo looks like it could be Seneca's King Campus. Did you take the Underwater Skills Program at Seneca?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom