Purchasing Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirelroka

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a relatively new diver (I only own mask, fins, snorkle, and boots) in a totally new dive area. I learned in Michigan (shallow, cold diving) and have recently moved to south Florida. I haven't had the opportunity to dive here yet, but am interested in purchasing my own gear. Do you ladies (and knowledgable gents) have any suggestions.

Also, do any of you have long hair. What do you do to protect your hair in salt water dives? I have a special mask strap to prevent the horror of rubber vs. hair, but I'm thinking I need some sort of swim cap thing? Any thoughts?

Hi Sirelroka,
Nothing like having your own gear to get the most out of diving. You are very lucky to be in an area where there are plenty of divers and plenty of warm water. The selection is so wide and varied, you are likely to get so many opinions it may not help.
Maybe if you go over to the introduction forum here and introduce yourself, we could start you off in the right direction of how best to determine your dive gear needs.Also check out the Florida Conch Divers , they're a very friendly bunch and I'm sure would be willing to help you out with your gear selection.
David

btw: welcome to ScubaBoard

Go hit the dive "super stores" that are all over S. Florida and talk to the folks there. Try on as much gear as you can before you decide what to buy, and if you can rent the ones you're interested in, even better. You are so lucky in S. Florida to have huge stores with an amazing amount of inventory so you can try on oodles of stuff.

Remember, the best gear is the stuff that fits you!

Welcome and you're are lucky to have moved to a nice warm place. I would try out all different stuff before dishing out all the $$$ in stuff. I personally own a ScubaPro Ladyhawk BC...i love it and wouldn't change it for anything in the world..it's the most comfortable thing ever. it's a back inflate also with intergrated weights.

Thanks for the start. I was feeling just a tad overwhelmed and didn't really know where to start. Another question (possibly stupid), how do you know how thick a wetsuit to get? I'm used to 7mm with hood and gloves. Isn't Michigan fun? The lakes are cold, and everything is...brown, the bottom is brown, the vegetation is brown, the water is brown, the fish are, you guessed, brown. I can't expressed the level of excitement about the diving down here!

Welcome!
I have long hair...well I did up until 3 days ago when I cut it. It's a pain in the rear to dive with long hair. I always put it in a pony tail and then practically had to cut my hair to get it out of the band. Then I started using scrunchies. That worked way better but be prepared to loose it in the water. The best thing it seems, short of a cap, is to braid it tightly. I can't braid my own hair so that was out.
Things will be a lot easier with my short hair I think.

Let me second the vote for the Ladyhawk. It is so comfy I couldn't believe it. Much better than a jacket. Try it all on until you find something you love as much as Scuba65 and I love our Ladyhawks.

I dive with long hair and just pull it back into a ponytail to dive (not long enough for a good braid). The bangs go on top of my head so I have no hair floating around my face.

If you want specific recommendations for gear to try, here's my set-up:

Definitely check out the Zeagle Zena. Not only the Zena for a BC, but check into Zeagle regs as well. They've tested extremely high in ScubaLab testing, so you can get a moderately priced reg with expensive reg performance. I have a Zeagle Envoy reg and octo and find both to breathe very easily at all depths, including the surface.

For a computer, I dive with an Aeris AI. I like the air integrated feature so I can use it to track my consumption and relax when I find myself getting excited and breathing too quickly. I also like it because it smaller size and fits easily in my hand.

I just got a new mask and I'm very excited about it. It's an Oceanic Mini-Shadow and has a very low volume, no frame, and a very soft silicone apron. vs the stiffer ones that I've used in the past. It's made specifically for a smaller face, and fits me like a glove. If you have the opportunity to check one out, definitely do, it's worth a look (and try).

For a wetsuit, I won't dive anything but a Henderson Hyperstretch. A lot of people feel it isn't worth the money, but for me the comfort is worth every penny I've spent on both my 3mm and 5mm suits. I dive only warm water and find that a 3mm is good for me down to about 72 degrees, as long as I'm not diving repetitively. We dove 2 tanks for 8 days straight in maui recently, and after getting cold on days 7 and 8, I'll always go with a 5mm when doing repetitive diving from now on in water cooler than 80-82 degrees.

Good luck and have fun finding gear. If you aren't in a hurry and relax, you'll find just the right gear. It takes patience sometimes, but you're so lucky to live in S. Florida where there's lots of gear to try on and play with. :D

Back
Top Bottom