Purchasing 1st mask, snorkel, fins....HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frigidnd

New
Reaction score
I am starting slower than most into the diving world. For one I live in the middle of the country in North Dakota. So pretty tough to dive much. Long story short I have been researching the basics to start snorkeling in the caymans in March. I figure start with the fins, snorkel, and mask and go from there to the BCD, regulators etc. I am pretty fond of the Mares Liquid skin X-Vision masks, and thought I should get all Mares like the snorkel, and fins. But I am reading some posts and having second thoughts? Very new and not very knowledgeable in this area. Please help me. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've been a lifetime snorkeller. When I snorkelled a few years ago at La Jolla Cove in Southern California, I saw my fellow snorkellers using every kind of mask, fins and snorkel - and enjoying themselves immensely.

The basic kit of fins, mask and snorkel is rightly termed personal equipment because it has to suit you, not somebody else. Choosing your personal snorkelling gear is a problem-solving exercise, so forget about brands until you have found fins that fit your feet not only length-wise, but also in terms of foot breadth and height. Too tight and you will experience cramping, too loose and the fins will generate blisters or fall off. Finding a pair that fit foot dimensions precisely and comfortably can be a real odyssey. If you can't find a pair that fits exactly in the short term, purchase a pair that's slightly too big and either wear neoprene socks or booties or, in the case of full-foot fins, use fin grips that fit over the instep, arch and ankle:

fingrips.jpg

When you've found a range of pairs of well-fitting fins, you can them proceed to the next stage of the problem-solving exercise, deciding whether to buy full-foot or open-heel fins and whether long, short, stiff or flexible blades suit your swimming style and strength. Fins are worn for power, manoeuvrability or endurance and individual models rarely combine all three criteria. If you can, beg or borrow well-fitting pairs and try them out in the pool. This will help you make up your mind what is best for you. Be wary of anybody who insists that only one brand, or model, of fins will do. Their fins work well for them, but do not necessarily work as well for you because your feet and physique are different.

Much of what I've written above about fins applies to masks as well. Fit is all important, forget brand names until you find the best fit. To do so, press the mask skirt against your face without attaching the strap and breathe in through your nose to create a partial vacuum. If the mask stays in place hands-free, it's likely you have a good fit, but only a trial of the mask in the water will confirm this. As for snorkels, the simplest "J"-shaped type has less to go wrong with it and will probably serve you well.

Good luck and enjoy your snorkelling for its own sake, not just as a preliminary activity leading to scuba. Come back and tell us the results of your decision-making regarding basic personal gear and also about your experiences in the Caymans! I've been to North Dakota once - I have a relative living in Minnesota - and I loved the place. It reminded me so much of the small-town America I got to know through films and TV back here in England. I know what you mean about the lack of diveable water there, though - I'm fortunate to have the North Sea coast within eight miles of my home.

1. Go to Sam's Club
2. Pick up a body glove mask, fins, and snorkel combo (complete with nice compact carrying case/over the shoulder sack) for about $50.

the Caymans have a TON of dive shops that you can rent snorkelling gear for a couple of dollars a day. It won't be the best kept gear, but you won't have to transport it and they will likely have a large selection of fins and mask to choose from. Snorkels really don't matter, they are just tubes, get anything that you like. Snorkellers have very different desires than divers, snorkellers often want dry snorkels with purges and other stuff, divers... just want a basic, low profile and low drag tube since they aren't primary breathing devices.

My biggest concern is the mask. Until my last trip to Grand Cayman 2 yrs ago I hated anything to do with goggles due to the generic junk from chartered snorkel trips all in a huge garbage can with solution. Pick out a snorkel & mask, then fins and you're ready they would tell us. No I always ended up with leaky crappy masks. Then leading to surfacing to clear such masks ending in mouth fulls of salt water. But in the Caymans which I realize is very diver friendly the rental place had you try on a few do the breathing in through your nose to check for good seal. That was the first and only time I enjoyed mask / goggles and snorkeling ever. Which leads me to purchase at least my mask due to all the previous issues I have had. I like the looks of Mares X-Vision & Demon masks, but Cressi has a nice on flashing on top of this board. Any ideas for me? There is a dive shop 1 hr South from me I can go to but they don't carry Mares?

Masks are very personal, the only way I know to find a mask that fits you well it to try them on. I own about 5-6 masks these days, most of them were good until I found something I liked better, now I primarily use a Mares Demon, and my X-vision is my backup. but that really doesn't mean anything to you

I would recommend you buy a mask only after you try it in water with a snorkel or regulator in your mouth.........

Let me explain why........on our recent family dive trip to Maui, my darling wife's prized Aqualung Mythos mask was broken.......a weight fell on it and shattered one of the lenses.

We went to a store and bought her a new mask (incidentally a Mares Liquid Fit) it passed the classic in-store fit test with flying colors.......

Step 1 - Lean head back looking up.
Step 2 - Pull all hair out of the way, hair will make any mask leak
Step 3 - Inhale though you nose and hold your breath do not push the mask on, it should "suck" to you face
Step 4 - Look down and into a mirror, if the mask stays and seals air it should seal water
Step 5 - put a mouth piece in your mount and repeat

She got in the water the next day and it leaked, so much in fact that on the second dive she took my prized black skirt Mythos mask (and she really hates those black skirts) and thrust the Liquid Fit at me with only a grunt.........I was after all the one who dropped the weight on her beloved mask.......:(

I was OK with that as I "never" have mask problems, and have dove with all kinds of no-name, half broken, rental masks around the world......well it leaked on me too, it just would not seal......

Finally, I traded with my son and he got a decent seal with the mask.....not saying that anything is wrong with the Liquid Fit mask, just that "fit" is everything with a mask......

Hope this helps........M

PS we are a family of 4 divers age 13 to 43 and we all use the same Mythos mask.......I mean not the "same" mask.....we have 4 in different color/skirt combinations so we can tell them apart.......strange, I know but true....

I LOVE my new Mythos... such a nice mask. For me, of course... YMMV.

If you are just starting into snorkeling, but want to get into SCUBA (especially if you are considering a drysuit in your future) consider open fins that you need boots to use... this way you will have great fins for snorkeling that will also fit your drysuit boots. I had to get new fins when I got my dry suit.

oh yeah... in terms of the snorkel, I just picked up a Oceanic Ultra-Dry, and it works great, especially if you'll be diving from the surface with the mouthpiece in... The top seals completely, and you'll be able to simply breathe without purging the snorkel when you pop back up . Waves aren't a problem either. It shuts the intake immediately, and when the wave passes, just start breathing again.

Personally I am not a fan of mares snorkels. I love a standard j tube with no purges or wave guards or ping pong balls. To much crap to go wrong.

The "classic" method of checking mask fits is not the best method.
I used to work in a SCUBA shop and have never had a mask returned due to poor fit.

To test for a proper fit on a mask first do not worry about putting the strap over your head.
Then hold it up to your face and inhale gently through your nose and hold it. Remember it is not a suction cup, you should not have to move it around or squish it to get it on. There should be no air leaking.
The inner seal should not run through your eyebrows, a little toward the end is okay. It should be behind, not crossing your eye socket. It should make contact all the way around.
Your nose should fit comfortably in the pocket with out being squished.

My final suggestion on masks is that if you find a mask that fits buy two. Hard to fit faces cannot always find a replacement easily.

Fins can be open heel or full foot.
Open heel in all most all cases will require booties.
Advantages are warmer feet, shore diving/snorkeling is easier, can be worn in colder water.
Full foot
Less equipment, slightly more efficient kick, lighter
Disadvanteges, can't be worn in colder water, walking over rocks or hot beaches in less comfortable,

Don't stick to brands just to stick to brands. Each piece should work for you the best it can regardless of brands.
Personally I like mares, or dive rite fins. I wear a Mares Pure Vision mask, because of fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom