pulau weh...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero:
Tim, did you find it easy to get there? What routing did you take?

Really easy to get there - I flew from KL to Medan (Air Asia) then just bought a ticket to Banda Aceh at Medan airport (Adam Air or Lion are the cheapest I think, but Garuda go more often). From Banda you need a taxi to the ferry port (60,000rp). There are 2 ferries a day, not sure what time the morning one is, but the afternoon one leaves at 3 or 4 depending on the day. Once on Pulah Weh I got a minibus straight to Gapang (30,000), but it was the weekend so there were enough NGO's there doing the same trip to fill a whole minibus. On other days you may have to get a minibus or motorbike to Sabang then probably a taxi to Gapang which can be quite a lot more. I paid 150,000 for a taxi from Gapang back to the port. Coming back I got the ferry from Medan to Penang which was really easy too. Book your flight from Banda to Medan early if going on a sunday. I nearly got stuck as they were all full.

Door to door KL to Gapang - 12 hours, and worth every minute of it!

There used to be a flight from Banda Aceh Airport (not really in Banda Aceh, about 1 hour away) to Sabang Pulau Weh. I caught the late morning Garuda flight from Medan to Banda Aceh, then got on the Aceh - Sabang flight. Nice view of Weh from up there.

Is the small hop flight in service?

Thanks a lot Tim for your infos, I'm already in contact with Lumba, so where did you stay Iboih or Gapang and wich place would you recommand ??? what about bungalow they have bathroom inside ? is-it neccessary to have AC, not too many mosquitos ????
"one of the best weeks diving I've ever had." compared to wich others places ( have you been to Sipadan) ??? what was water temp. ? how long have you been stay there, do you think 10 days enought ???? Thanks a lot for reply and have a good ....dives.

Lumba Lumba is on Gapang. There used to be houses on stilts with aircon and built in bathroom at Gapang. Ton and Marjan have a bungalow in that complex. I do not think the Tsunami would have ruined that complex because it is way up there on the cliff as you enter Gapang Beach. This also means it is a long hike down to Lumba Lumba. Having said that, you can tip a local for a motorbike ride to pick you up and send you back. Beats the slight up hill walk in the heat when going back.

Yes there are mosquitos, but insect repellant does the job real well.

If Ibioh is still open, you can stay at Ibioh and tell Ton or Marjan to pick you up at Ibioh by boat. When I was there way back then, they did pick up some guest from Ibioh. The only problem is becuase you are in Ibioh, you will only know of schedule changes when the boat does not show up on time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom