Puking under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah yeah Beavis-- start with 2001...........

Just did my first boat dive. The ride was choppy. My first dive was perfect, however, going to the second spot, I got sea sick. I puked over board and then went on the dive and was fine. However, I got me thinking.

If I was under water and got sick, should I puke in the regulator and then clear it out or would I be better to remove the regulator and puke then put regulator back in my mouth. I fear that is I puked with the regulator out of my mouth, I may have an uncontrolled inhale afterwards. Of course, with regulator in, I would probably be inhaling vomit if that was the case.

Is there any know correct way to deal with this? Anyone experienced an underwater vomit?

Hello. I was heading out to "Satans Rock." one morning in a small boat off the coast of Salem, Mass to do some Scallop diving. I don't always handle small boats well. I started feeling nauseous, and because of the very choppy ocean conditions couldn't really focus on the horizon. As, I was donning my gear, it became even more extreme. (Nearly, called the dive.) I actually figured if I at least went in the water, I wouldn't be tossed to and fro as much. I leaned back, and flipped off the boat. My depth was about 8 fsw and felt it coming on. I held my regulator in my mouth, careful not to block the exhaust ports, and heaved at least 4 times. I immediately felt better. I descended to about 23 fsw and felt even better.
A few minutes later at a depth of 98 fsw, I felt great. Huge scallops everywhere....I started to fill my bag, and it turned into a great dive. This was my first Scallop dive, and to see them scooting around using their jet propulsion was really cool. (I had never seen that before.)
I highly recommend leaving your regulator in your mouth. Not only leaving it in but, also holding it in place with slight inward pressure.
Soooooo. It turned intah a great day. Hadahbout 2 poundsah scollips foh dinnah with homemade tahdah sohs.
Sent from my "Bostonion." ahkcent program.
Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom