Puking under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Experience. I've thrown up underwater at least thirty times on three different occasions. I always took my reg out. I never inhaled water. I have seen at least two people who threw up in their regs experience a laryngospasm because chunks got in their exhaust valves and they breathed water.

I don't want to blow chunks through my reg and you can't make me.
Ok, fair enough, your experience trumps other input for you. That's why articles are written like the one I linked so people can get a broad perspective without having to get their own experience.

Got it. Yes, I would not hold my breath so if that's the point, I understand. I was thinking that I could slowly start making my way to the surface, puking, stopping, breathing, ascending, puking, stopping, breathing, ascending, etc all the time to ensure that I was not holding my breath or ascending too quickly.

That's a lot to keep track of while sick and puking, IMO.

I also prefer to remove my reg, puke, and replace. While I'm aware of the safety-based logic presented, I (a) find it more comfortable to retch unimpeded, and (b) I have sufficient control to not inhale until I have returned my reg to my mouth.

My personal preference notwithstanding, I would counsel other people to do it in the standard low-risk fashion.

Ok, fair enough, your experience trumps other input for you.
There are lots of myths and anecdotes that are passed off as being "true". NitrOx was called voodoo gas and was seen as horrible for a long time. Solo diving was anathema until this century. Today, they're pretty much mainstream. What changed? Someone learned how to make money off of them. I don't know of any study in regards to puking underwater, do you? Any opinion about which is better is then entirely subjective. Until you have some science to back up a claim, there is really no 'expert' on what is best. Until such time: do what works for you. If you're too scared to pull your reg out of your mouth: don't. If that seems right to you, then don't let some know-it-all bully you into doing it their way.
That's why articles are written
This is patently false. Most articles are written today to push an agenda or sell you on something. They want your eyes and they are willing to sell their soul to get them. Most of the articles written by agencies are little more than clickbait in my eyes. They want you on their site so they can sell you classes. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm not going to base my opinions on clickbait. But what do I know? I've only been diving since 1969. I know what works for me and I've seen people follow agency protocols and end up choking. No thanks.

I (a) find it more comfortable to retch unimpeded,
Go forth and spew, my child! :D :D :D

Negative.
Keep the reg in your mouth, barf through it. You don't want an involuntary inhalation to happen with your reg out of your mouth. If the reg clogs, switch to your alternate while you purge and shake the primary to clear it.

This is what I learned as well way back in the 70s.
Inhalation will kill you if your reg is out of your mouth.

Experience. I've thrown up underwater at least thirty times on three different occasions. I always took my reg out. I never inhaled water. I have seen at least two people who threw up in their regs experience a laryngospasm because chunks got in their exhaust valves and they breathed water.

I don't want to blow chunks through my reg and you can't make me.
I would bet money on this working for me too. I would assume you have the same airway control as I. Another assumption is someone who has trouble with airway/mask removal, nose vs. mouth, soft pallet problems (can't keep water out of nose or mouth with mask off, mouth open, etc.) may be someone who may inhale involuntarily after puking. But, I don't know-- maybe you are a lucky freak of nature, and I may be too. Wish I could someday have to puke just to find out....

Wish I could someday have to puke just to find out....
No, Tom. You really don't.
Inhalation will kill you if your reg is out of your mouth.
So, don't inhale. :D

You guys are missing the real issue. Puke however you like, but the real trick, is avoiding the cloud of drifting puke from your buddy. At deco. In a cave. Only thing worse I could think of, being downstream from a full warhammer maneuver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom