Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boonlim

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi folks,
My wife and I are trying to find our next scuba diving trip and we would like to get some feedback whether to dive in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? :confused: Anyone know the water temperature in June or July? We dove in cozumel before and all we needed was a shorty.

thanks

Boon

Hi Boon!

Haven't been to Puerta Vallarta, but went to Cabo twice. Diving there is OK...most are deep dives as nothing really starts until 60 feet or so. Water temp in July should be in the low 70's. One year we hit it odd and water was 63F because of La Nina. What to wear...depends on the person. I wear a full 3mm with hood, husband wears a skin and is fine.

Have fun whatever you decide!

I have worked in PV as a divemaster until december of this year. Water in late June and July is in the low to mid 70's and personally I dont use anything but a lycra rash guard. The diving in both places can be somewhat hit and miss but the blue water in Vallarta is truly spectacular when you find it. I am just sad that school drug me away from my second home town. Contact Twin Dolphins and ask for Giovanni he offers very individual service and trip options. I have had the pleasure to dive all the sites pv has to offer and some are truly amazing try corbetena or el morro for advanced divers. If you do decide to use twin dolphins tell Gio that Jeff is still alive and well in Seattle. Best of luck and safe diving. I will be down in July so tell me how it is if you go please.

boonlim:
Hi folks,
My wife and I are trying to find our next scuba diving trip and we would like to get some feedback whether to dive in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas? :confused: Anyone know the water temperature in June or July? We dove in cozumel before and all we needed was a shorty.

thanks

Boon
I dove PV in July 2004 and loved it. the diving is just ok but the water was really warm, bathtub warm, my computer said 85 F. I wore a 3mm full suit and was fine, but some people were just in shorties. I dove El Morro and saw lots of fish, but it had pretty heavy surge, the visibility was about 60 feet due to particulate matter and it is about a 2 hour boat ride out to El Morro.

I dive Cabo every year in early September and the water is usually low 80's F, and I am fine in a 3mm full, but some people wear a shortie. The boat rides are about 5 minutes to the dive sites inside the bay area. The visibility is usually about 40 to 70 feet with lots of particulate matter. Lots of fish but not colourful coral.
have fun. Choco

Back
Top Bottom