Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake 10

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
upload_2021-8-24_9-2-0.png

Scuba Local Shops

Scuba local shops

Capture.PNG

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-24_11-31-22.png
    upload_2021-8-24_11-31-22.png
    239.2 KB · Views: 172
  • upload_2021-8-24_11-31-42.png
    upload_2021-8-24_11-31-42.png
    239.2 KB · Views: 150
In Puerto Rico food is great, diverse and modestly priced. It is a US Territory so no need for passport or currency ex-change. Most of the people speak English and those who don't is because they are afraid of making mistakes in their pronunciation.

disclaimer, I don't work for the local tourism department or any tourist company. I just enjoy the island, their friendly people, and the diverse food. (American, Latin, Cuban, Spain, Italian, Chinese, Lebanese, and other lesser Antilles influences).

I’ve spent a lot of time diving Puerto Rico, I took my live aboard there on a few occasions.

It’s completely legit, especially Mona and some of the shallow banks in Mona Passage.

I’ve spent a lot of time diving Puerto Rico, I took my live aboard there on a few occasions.

Any thoughts on why it doesn't seem to be more of a mainstream dive destination (I'm thinking land-based, but live-aboard is also a worthy question) with more 'mindshare' (as judged from forum threads and trip reports)? Even if I focus on boat diving and exclude shore diving focused destinations, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize seem to heavily lead in the region...with the Florida Keys also getting attention.

Puerto Rico is large, it's got topside attractions, it's a U.S. territory...seems like it'd be a rocking good dive destination with a number of package deal offerings (e.g.: hotel, # of boat trips - like Rainbow Reef Dive Center offers in Key Largo).

Any thoughts on why it doesn't seem to be more of a mainstream dive destination (I'm thinking land-based, but live-aboard is also a worthy question) with more 'mindshare' (as judged from forum threads and trip reports)? Even if I focus on boat diving and exclude shore diving focused destinations, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize seem to heavily lead in the region...with the Florida Keys also getting attention.

Puerto Rico is large, it's got topside attractions, it's a U.S. territory...seems like it'd be a rocking good dive destination with a number of package deal offerings (e.g.: hotel, # of boat trips - like Rainbow Reef Dive Center offers in Key Largo).
Americans are leery of Puerto Rico IMO. There are some tremendous dive operations all over the island, including Vieques and all around the west, south, and east sides.

I wonder why most folks haven’t looked into it?

Puerto Rico, Haiti, Dominican Republic, all have excellent diving.

Back
Top Bottom