Puerto Galera Video Dive report July 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowtempo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone.

Earlier this month, 1st half of July I went to Puerto Galera for the first time. I dove with Frontier Scuba located on Sabang Beach and stayed at the Step and Garden resort, on the hill. I stayed for 2 dive days. Some of sites that I dove was, the Hole in the wall, Kalema Steps, The wrecks of Sabang and the dry dock where the 7 ft baracuda lives. That fish is a MONSTER! And very scarry.

The visability was OK, better than the visibility that I encountered at Coron a few days earier. The current was some of the strongest I have ever encountered. I had to hold on to anything to prevent from being swept away and cut my knee badly as well as got stung by fire coral on both forearms but was well worth it.....

Please see my video of the dives.... I hope you enjoy it!

YouTube - Puerto Galera Dive - Sabang

Thanks and good vibes to all of you!

Attachments

• sabang 048.jpg
    sabang 048.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 118
  • sabang 025.jpg
    sabang 025.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 68
  • PICT0168.jpg
    PICT0168.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 122
Thanks for the report, I'm off to PG in Feb. Where have you been diving in currents before? Thanks, Jay

I've done about 20-odd dives around PG, with Mark Cox and the team at Capt'n Gregg's on Sabang Beach. Most recently I was there in June. The viz was terrific until a typhoon came past on June 20, after that it was ok but not as good. I'm guessing it was still a bit stirred up when lowtempo was there.

There can be pretty strong currents on some of the sites - notably Canyons, which is on the far side of Hole In The Wall - making it important to dive at the right time of day according to the ebb/flood and with a boat crew/DM who know where to drop you and which way to go etc.

I personally found it quite managable, although you do have to put a bit of effort in on a day when the current was running.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom