Puerto Galera or Anilao for 5 days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chaines

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

My partner and I are heading to the Philippines for the first week of April with the intent of experiencing some fantastic diving and to get some relaxing in as well.

We don't feel like we have enough time to dive at both Anilao and Puerto Galera, so we need to chose one.

I am AOW with about 40 dives, and my partner is OW with about 20 dives. We would like some variety, in both diving and land life. In my own research, I have found that Puerto Galera is better in terms of variety (restaurants, etc) on land, but the diving is not as good as Anilao. Is that a correct assumption?

In Puerto Galera we would be staying at El Galleon. At Anilao it would be Aquaventure.

Which would you recommend?

Thanks for your advice!

if you're looking for some land life it's definitely PG... no ifs no buts...

there is no night life in anilao - unless a (very) quiet evening in the resort is preferred to walking to busier/ louder restos and bars

diving wise i seriously doubt you'll be disappointed with either choice - those are both top-notch world class dive destinations

if you're over during the holy week (april 1 to 4) it's not going to be lonely in anilao at all... it's a major local holiday and every resort will be filled to the brim with divers

same of course with PG

Jag

Thanks for your response Jag.

We are arriving on April 4th, so it seems like our trip won't overlap too much with the holiday.

In all likelihood, we will book for PG...it has all we need - good diving and good shore life. I hesitate a little though because it seems that many of the better dives (Canyons, Shark Cave) are advanced deep dives. I have done a few deep dives (the hardest of which would be Sipidan with some pretty strong currents), but my partner has not done any deep dives. I wonder if we will miss out on the best dives around because of our inexperience.

Can anyone advise if this might be the case? Are the 'easier' dives there as good as the advanced sites?

Thanks again for your help!

lots of great easy dives in PG. dont worry. just let your dive op know what you want to see and the type of dives you like. PG has a wide variety of sites and all are good.

if you do your advanced while in PG you can dive canyons/ shark cave if the moon is right.. Otherwise the currents might be too strong

you can also go to Verde island while in PG; you dont need advanced for that (would be nice but not necessary) Currents at canyons might ruin your dive if you arent (both) comfortable; verde got currents but nothing crazy

We even took Discover Scubadivers there (which wasnt the best idea lol)

The visibility in PG is getting worst and worst. You have to dive to places like Horse's Head(36m), Fish Bow(40-48m), Sweet Lips Corner(50-54m), Marcus's Cave(52m) to have acceptable vis.
Canyons is great especially when the current is roaring ditto to Kelimar Drift.
Of course there are easy sites in PG but the VIS in Anilao is so much BETTER.
If you can put up with quiet nights ....Anilao is my preferred suggestion. But do change enough peso in Manila.
If you preferred a bit of everything then PG should be able to fit the bill. The exchange rate is not too bad either.
Most of the sites in PG are very near, the dive boat will bring you back to the shop/resort after EVERY dive. You can have a hot shower, something to eat or just chill out in the pool. But in Anilao, you are more than likely require to do two dives in the morning before the boat bringing you back for lunch. There is no toilet on board and the surface interval is relatively short. And if it is raining, the sea can be pretty rough.........

I would highly recomment PG, I was there last May and the diving was fantastic, I love the Canyons, Shark Cave, the drift dives are really cool, your just flying over the reefs, the giant Clams are neat along with the sea horses and turtles, it just a great place to dive. The night life is fantastic and I highly recomment the Broadway and the Big Apple. You will have the best time you ever had on any dive trip.

In my own research, I have found that Puerto Galera is better in terms of variety (restaurants, etc) on land, but the diving is not as good as Anilao. Is that a correct assumption?!

Sounds like you've done your research. I found the diving in Anilao much better but I agree it is very quite.

PG has quite the night life including girl bars, etc. but to me the diving was just ok - probably good for a beginner though.

Enjoy :)!

Sounds like you've done your research. I found the diving in Anilao much better but I agree it is very quite.

PG has quite the night life including girl bars, etc. but to me the diving was just ok - probably good for a beginner though.

Enjoy :)!
The best dive sites in PG are ABSOLUTELY NOT suitable for beginner.
Canyons(28-30m), Horse's Head(36m), Fish Bowl(40-48m), Sweet Lips(52m), Deep Almar Jane Reef, Monkey Wreck(42-45m) etc etc.
Even the experience divers will find them challenging and if the current is strong......
And even The Hole in the Wall(16-18m) is pretty tricky with the wrong current.

I'd go with the same general opinion as most people here I guess :) PG is better for non-diving related activities (i.e. night life, dining out etc.) but the diving in Anilao is much better for me.

Anilao scores much higher for Macro, although PG would be better for bigger stuff, although there isn't much genuine big stuff there either! PG would win on variety, although Anilao also has a good range of diving if you can handle some current.

I'd say any dive in PG would be okay if you go on the right tide, the moon is one factor but by far the biggest factor to consider is the tide table times. Try to dive the current sites, like the Canyons or Shark Cave, on a slack tide or a weak flood, it's not a difficult dive if the current isn't flowing, just make sure you avoid the Ebb tides as that's when the current picks up! You can get tide tables at most decent resorts or online at EasyTide - on-line tidal predictions from the UKHO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom