Puerto Galera (Big Lalaguna Beach) trip planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpace

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are planning our next dive vacation for May 2018 and are seriously considering Puerto Galera, Big Lalaguna Beach.

We have 67 total dives (~30 self guided shore dives) since OW certification in 2015. We have dove the Caribbean (Roatan and Bonaire) and Kona, Hawaii. We will most likely complete our AOW on this trip. So far we have only experienced mild currents while diving. We enjoy warm water, good visibility and a variety of scenery (muck, coral, fish). Any input to the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

1) Planning about 10 days of diving (including our AOW course). It appears that the Puerto Galera area has a wide variety of diving (muck, coral, wall, wrecks, drift). I understand that some dive sites may be beyond our skill level due to strong current (Verde Island for example). Is there enough diving in Puerto Gelera to keep us from getting bored?

2) Any comments/concerns about EVA air or Scandi Divers?

Did our AOW with Asia Divers/El Galleon in Small La Laguna, have been back there lots, never bored. Big La Laguna will be a bit quieter and has a real beach, fine choice.

We’ve been on trips to Verde Island even when we were relatively inexperienced, but then, the dive op had had time to figure out that we at least do what we’re told. It was lovely, and within our powers. For some reason nobody’s ever volunteered to take me to Washing Machine, though. Or Canyons.

1. There are enough dive sites to suit all level. Verde Island can be tricky especially the current near the surface. The local DM/Instructor usually have the final say on the sites.
2. Eva Air is very good. I would rather spend one day in Taipei than Manila. Scandi Divers has good reputation.

Enjoy.

I will be making my 3rd trip to Sabang end of Feb. (3rd time in 5 years) never a lack of good dive sites and even going to a repeat could result in seeing something new. The landscape will be the same but the sealife is always changing. As stated there are a number of good dive shops in the Big and Small Laguna. For places to stay check out Trip Advisor. have used Action Divers the last visit and I will using them again. Great guys and flexible with dive locations and bottom time. Have a great trip!

We are going to the Philippines in mid April and will get to Puerto Galera for 6 nights in early May at the end of our trip. We are also flying Eva and it is a good airline to fly with. I’ve had good experiences with them. Other airlines I would consider that are good that also fly to Manila from where I am (San Francisco) are ANA, Singapore, Cathay. China Eastern, China Southern, and Philippines Air are at the bottom of the list for me but to be fair, I haven’t flown any of them.

If you have 10 days and can find vacancy for May, another place you should consider is Tubbataha on a liveaboard. The window for diving this region is only 3 months out of the year, April-June. I hear it’s really good diving there. I can’t comment on the actual diving because I haven’t been there (yet!) but we are hitting Tubbataha, the Coron/El Nido area, and Puerto Galera then. We considered quite a few places in Puerto Galera and ended up going with El Galleon and Asia Divers as a package. it was $1240 for all-inclusive in an ocean view room for 6 nights (double occupancy), 4 dives a day for 5 days, and nitrox for the entire stay. It also included round trip transfers to and from Manila. Night diving is $12 per dive.

We also looked at a few other places and got detailed quotes, including Atlantis which has amazing reviews but there was a significant premium to stay there. (Around $1700 for the same stay). I don’t doubt the customer service, etc. is an incredible experience but we couldn’t justify it because the diving is essentially the same and the premium is a lot of money in the Philippines. That difference was almost as much as our 4D3N all inclusive dive safari from El Nido to Coron. We decided to save the money to put it towards the safari or for somewhere that doesn’t have more economical options for the same experience.

Although I am more or less PG'd out and prefer Anilao in particular for photography I would highly recommend Asia Divers with accommodation at El Galleon who have good instructors (well at least when I was last there 5 years ago).

As OOO above mentions Atlantis is good, well the accommodation and diving only IMHO, the food is not worth the extra cost as better can be found outside and you don't really want to get into an all inclusive deal and be bored after 3 days. It may have changed though as I was last at Atlantis 6 years ago, but I did pop into the bar when I last stayed at Asia Divers and they only had 3 guests in Atlantis while Asia Divers was fully booked.

The diving there should be fine and a good place to do your AOW.

I'll be diving Anilao mid April.

We are going to the Philippines in mid April and will get to Puerto Galera for 6 nights in early May at the end of our trip. We are also flying Eva and it is a good airline to fly with. I’ve had good experiences with them. Other airlines I would consider that are good that also fly to Manila from where I am (San Francisco) are ANA, Singapore, Cathay. China Eastern, China Southern, and Philippines Air are at the bottom of the list for me but to be fair, I haven’t flown any of them.

If you have 10 days and can find vacancy for May, another place you should consider is Tubbataha on a liveaboard. The window for diving this region is only 3 months out of the year, April-June. I hear it’s really good diving there. I can’t comment on the actual diving because I haven’t been there (yet!) but we are hitting Tubbataha, the Coron/El Nido area, and Puerto Galera then. We considered quite a few places in Puerto Galera and ended up going with El Galleon and Asia Divers as a package. it was $1240 for all-inclusive in an ocean view room for 6 nights (double occupancy), 4 dives a day for 5 days, and nitrox for the entire stay. It also included round trip transfers to and from Manila. Night diving is $12 per dive.

We also looked at a few other places and got detailed quotes, including Atlantis which has amazing reviews but there was a significant premium to stay there. (Around $1700 for the same stay). I don’t doubt the customer service, etc. is an incredible experience but we couldn’t justify it because the diving is essentially the same and the premium is a lot of money in the Philippines. That difference was almost as much as our 4D3N all inclusive dive safari from El Nido to Coron. We decided to save the money to put it towards the safari or for somewhere that doesn’t have more economical options for the same experience.
Great feedback and very helpful for me! I am looking at Philippines for next April and have pretty much settled on Puerto Galera. Been researching where to stay and who to dive with a fair amount and El Galleon/Asia Divers has been creeping up to the top of my list, so I will enjoy hearing about your trip and your post stay impressions. I will also really want to hear about the 4D3N all inclusive dive safari from El Nido to Coron. I'd like to do something similar to what you have planned. 2 week trip with a week in Puerto Galera and 4-5 days somewhere else.

Great feedback and very helpful for me! I am looking at Philippines for next April and have pretty much settled on Puerto Galera. Been researching where to stay and who to dive with a fair amount and El Galleon/Asia Divers has been creeping up to the top of my list, so I will enjoy hearing about your trip and your post stay impressions. I will also really want to hear about the 4D3N all inclusive dive safari from El Nido to Coron. I'd like to do something similar to what you have planned. 2 week trip with a week in Puerto Galera and 4-5 days somewhere else.

You bet! I will also let you know about Tubbataha. Some report it’s the best diving the Philippines has to offer. Depending on how I like that compared to Indonesia, I may want to return and dive the Visayas.

We are going to PG because like the OP, I also hear it has a nice mix though as a photographer, I know the muck diving is better in Anilao. I was worried the rest of our group would be bored!

Coron has some nice wrecks and beaches...El Nido is pure beach bumming before we hop onto the safari. I’m happy to share our plans with you. Heck, come this April instead. :wink:

92 days to go....

asiana also flies to manila and connects in korea

Yes, I forgot about that. Thanks! I have not flown Asiana but have read on FlyerTalk that their hard product (plane’s decor/finishes, seating, entertainment, etc.) has gotten a bit worn and weathered and that they have not been as good as the other Asian airlines about maintenance or keeping things updated. Do you have any feedback on it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom