Puerto Galera and Donsol water temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaschne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there, leaving Wed for Manila and then on to PG for 5 days, staying at Atlantis Resort, then following weekend to Donsol for whalesharks. Any info on current water temps? thanks for any info Karen

I was just in Sabang last week, water temp was a bit cool at 26-27C. Not sure what that is in F, probably around 76-78. Felt okay for me coming from winter in California waters. I was using my new 1mm fullsuit and after about 1 hour felt a bit cool.

When I was in PG Feb-March in 2008, water temps were between 24 and 26ºC. Pretty much the same as what Blue said...:coffee:

thx Blue Steal,,,,,,,I am a wimp lately in cold water, usually dive a 3mm shorty in Maui but have gotten very very cold quickly so taking my 5mm full and a shorty as an alternate in case its warm enough to use it...........have read all these PI threads and am so looking forward to this trip! thx again Karen

When I was there, I used a 3/2mm fullsuit and was OK. But I'm fairly cold tolerant... almost all the dive shops there rent 5mm fullsuits to their customers... So I think you're on the right track... I wouldn't go with a shorty though, as much for the water temp as for the pricklies you never know you might meet...

Just my 0.02$ :coffee:

thx Blue Steal,,,,,,,I am a wimp lately in cold water, usually dive a 3mm shorty in Maui but have gotten very very cold quickly so taking my 5mm full and a shorty as an alternate in case its warm enough to use it...........have read all these PI threads and am so looking forward to this trip! thx again Karen

I'm in Sabang now, water temp between 25 & 26C. No problems using a 1mm neoprene suit.

I found the jellyfish parts in the waters stung, so a full wetsuit was needed for exposure protection. A shortie will get you stung sometimes.

It's a little cooler in Sabang this time of year, about 24-26C instead of 28 in warmer months. They are right on the strait and there is a lot of current bringing cooler water in. I have dove with a .5mm skinsuit which is fine in Moalboal but was too cold in Sabang. I put on a 3mm vest and hood over that and was fine. I think a 3mm full with hood would be the way to go, but the Philippine divers feel cold in that and wear two wetsuits with hood to keep warm. Depends on what you are used to...

There are shops where you can pick up a vest or hood if you are a medium sized person, but they don't have larger sizes usually (above XL), so you need to plan ahead if you might need the extra protection / warmth.

I think Donsol will be about the same, but here is a place to check:
http://weather.weatherbug.com/Philippines/Donsol-weather.html?zcode=z6286

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom