Puerto Aventuras, Mexico night dive and dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went on a night dive last night and it was incredible, eerie and exciting at the same time. We saw lots of stuff that doesn't come out in the daytime. It was really cool to see the bioluminescence, we just turned off our lights and then waved our hands around and it looked like blue sparks off your fingers and lots of sparkly things in the water. My favourite thing to see at night is the squid, it sort of glows and then flashes different coloured lights and it's eyes are really wierdly lit up. I also liked seeing the octopus, it was kind of aquagreen and blue and changed colours too. There was one long, long worm that sqwiggled around and twisted up and went straight for our lights, then it burst and broke up into about twenty little short squiggley worms. We were swarmed by a whole bunch of little red twisty things that turned out to be little shrimp and something else, plus a bunch of tiny blue fish, they were after our lights.
Today we saw a huge, monster barracuda, four turtles, lots of tropical fish, a green moray eel, a speckled eel, a lacey starfish in a sponge, and a stingray plus lots of other stuff I can't remember right now. I took lots of pictures but I have to put them on our computer at home to figure out how to shrink them down to size to post them.
Tomorrow we head home, sigh, back to the real world.
Oh, I can hear the clank of the tanks, they are getting ready to go out diving. Our room is about 30 steps from the dive shop and I so want to grab my gear and go diving.

Can I ask who you are (were) diving with? We've been going to PA almost every December for the past five years (gonna miss it this year, unfortunately), and love the easy ocean diving (plus the cenotes).

Thanks!

I love night diving -- on our trip to Cozumel a couple of years ago, the absolute best dives were the night dives. So many things were out and about that were tucked into holes or completely unseen in the daytime! Glad you enjoyed it.

PA's a nice place to stay -- lots of options, and quite central (IOW, close to the fill station :) )

Working in Mexico for a year now and never seen a squid out at night :-(

We stayed at the Omni Hotel in Puerto Aventuras, and I dove with Dive Aventuras(located in the Omni). I loved the night dives, and the day dives. I didn't do the cenotes this time but PA is very close to the cenotes, like 5 min drive to Eden, and Chac Mool.

Zeke - not to rub it in or anything but we saw a squid on both night dives.:)
But then you live there and get to dive all the time, and I live in Alaska, so you win.

Our next trip to PA will be a stay at the Omni. We've stayed at the Catalonia twice, and a condo in town once, and every dive has been with Dive Aventuras. Have done cenotes with them, but never a night dive. Might have to do that next time we are there.

Thanks!

We stayed at the Omni Hotel in Puerto Aventuras, and I dove with Dive Aventuras(located in the Omni). I loved the night dives, and the day dives. I didn't do the cenotes this time but PA is very close to the cenotes, like 5 min drive to Eden, and Chac Mool.

Zeke - not to rub it in or anything but we saw a squid on both night dives.:)
But then you live there and get to dive all the time, and I live in Alaska, so you win.

Awww man, maybe i should night dive with you guys instead! Hey Alaska would be nice sometimes, a nice cold bed instead of a 40C sauna at middnight!

I finally organized some photos....

hope this works. (It didn't so now I am going to go read the "How to post pics for a ...." thread.)

Last edited:
Photos of Puerto Aventuras dives...

PAturtleSmall.jpg

PAjackSmall.jpg

PAcutefishSmall.jpg

PAcoralSmall.jpg

Wow! It sounds like I need to sign up for some night dives in PA. My husband and I own two condos in Puerto and always dive with Dive Aventuras. It's a great operation! We will spend a great deal of time there this fall and winter so we will put the night dives on the agenda.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom