Info Published Standards for SSI, SDI, and PADI "solo" courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just signed up for the padi navigation and self reliant courses... In the equipment needed post, a 100ft line is mentioned in the solo course.. far as I know the course is being mostly taught in a 30ft deep lake, anyone know if a depth is necessary?

I'm in the process of signing up (i.e. I haven't called with my CC yet) - taking the padi course but apparently I'm getting an SDI book.

When you say solo, I assume you mean SDI.

I taught SDI solo for many years.

I never dove with the student. What the hell are they studying/practicing for?

It appears that PADI and SSI require direct supervision by the instructor.
Just curious. How can a SDI instructor evaluate proficiency on items like primary to redundant gas swap, DSMB deployment, no mask skills, etc., etc...... without diving with, and observing, the student...

Just curious. How can a SDI instructor evaluate proficiency on items like primary to redundant gas swap, DSMB deployment, no mask skills, etc., etc...... without diving with, and observing, the student...
Maybe they dive near them and act as an Octo in the wall? No reason they couldn't dive as an observer to ensure they are following the dive plan and executing correctly without interfering. They're not "solo" certified yet so I would think the instructor would be negligent to do otherwise by today's litigious standards.

Re: pencils and slates…
I take notes on things that I think of while I’m down there.
Same as hiking.

I suppose it’s possible I might one day need to tell some randomly encountered buddy pair to piss off with more than just elaborate hand gestures.

I occasionally enjoy solo dive, so not knocking it....

A quarry near me was permanently closed to divers after a diver completed a solo diver course, did their first solo dive, while the instructor was on shore, and perished.

I occasionally enjoy solo dive, so not knocking it....

A quarry near me was permanently closed to divers after a diver completed a solo diver course, did their first solo dive, while the instructor was on shore, and perished.

The article says he was doing a certification dive. Your post says he was completed.
Which was it?

The article says he was doing a certification dive. Your post says he was completed.
Which was it?
It's my understanding that he finished the course, and went in to do his first certified solo dive...

Back
Top Bottom