Public transfer to Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Centrals

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is for those who could not afford US$100.00 one way transfer to Anilao.

I have done it before but the route was so tedious that any first or even old timer might find it a real challenge.

1) If I catch a bus to Batangas from Manila eg. Buen Dia, where should I tell the conductor my destination will be? I know where it is but do not know the precise name. Of course I can just pay all the way to Batangas and get off where I wanted but to those who are not familar with the place, a proper name would be very helpful.
2) After getting off the bus. What jeepney should I take to the general direction of Anilao? I do not want to stop all the jeepneys passing by and ask the same question!!!

hi guys jsut a bit of info. there is a company that specializes in van transfers to anilao. they pick up people sort of like a school bus drop you in your resort in anilao and pick you up sunday afternoon to drop you off in manila the cost is about 1200php/pax though more expensive than the bus definitely more comfortable. will add the companys info tomorrow when i find it.

hi guys jsut a bit of info. there is a company that specializes in van transfers to anilao. they pick up people sort of like a school bus drop you in your resort in anilao and pick you up sunday afternoon to drop you off in manila the cost is about 1200php/pax though more expensive than the bus definitely more comfortable. will add the companys info tomorrow when i find it.

Is this Kiko's fleet? Is it still operational? I heard Kiko died of an MI a while back.

Si-Kat(City State Tower Hotel) is able to mantain the daily service from Manila to Batangas for so many yrs. I first used its service back in Aug 1996!
Another smaller operator had also provided the similar service(depart from Swagman Hotel) for many yrs as well.
With the number of resorts around Anilao, I would have thought a similar service is financially viable. A weekend service is definitely NO good for foreign tourists.
All we need is an local entrepreneur who would like to invest on the route. Perhaps the resorts owners can sit down together and come out with an join venture.

All we need is an local entrepreneur who would like to invest on the route. Perhaps the resorts owners can sit down together and come out with an join venture.

Yeah, this would be a great initiative.....

Not sure if there is such a thing as a 'local entrepreneur' though??

A single, daily round-trip bus (leave Manila AM, return Manila PM) that did drop offs at the resorts would be a great way of increasing business for the Anilao resorts. It would enable day-trips and also make it much more convenient and cost effective to take extended trips there.

I've been trying, for the last 9 months, to make running Anilao diving trips into a viable option for my independent scuba business.

I still haven't found an 'ideal' solution... or one that was cost effective enough to attract a lot of customers. It only really works when there is a large group of divers, who can coordinate a trip together and share transport/accommodation and boat costs.

.....Foreign divers rarely travel here in groups of 4+ :shakehead:

Most of my customers are travelling solo.

Local public transport is far from an attractive option for divers with gear; especially foreigners who may be intimidated by the prospect of hauling heavy dive bags around an unfamiliar province whilst relying on buses, jeepneys and trikes.

The cost of a private car (3-4000php one-way) is enough to deter a large percentage of visitors; especially when access to Subic and PG is so much cheaper and easier.

Seriously,... for the cost of a return car trip to an Anilao resort, you could fly anywhere in the Philippines! 8000php would pay for a whole weekends diving in Subic, including hotel and bus transport.

The cost of accommodation/food (much higher than PG or Subic) also reduce the attractiveness of Anilao as a destination. AGAIN, everything seems fixated upon the 'established' routine of local divers taking weekend breaks in Anilao - where those divers have their own cars and will be in a group of 4 or more (thus availing of shared rooms and shared costs of dive boats).

Where are the entrepreneurs? The market is there, why is nobody in Anilao bothering with it? Just because it's "not done like that"??!?

The dive industry in the Philippines is growing steadily. It's crazy that Anilao is still a virtual ghost town in terms of foreign visitors. It's even more crazy that those foreign holidaymakers find it more convenient and cost-effective to travel all the way to Cebu, Bohol, Palawan etc, rather than the few dozen kilometers to Anilao.

The Anilao resorts could be making a fortune from foreign tourists, but seem apathetic to make the effort to embrace that section of the market.

As the saying goes; 'You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'.

Devondiver, I totally agree with you that why i have that question up on the other thread. Thing is all those resorts that do have their own transfer system will not lower their prices. Just for the main fact that foreigners when they come to anilao pay for the transfers anyway. Whats another 100usd on top of their full 7 or 8 day package. Im seriously considering this as a viable business now and will keep you posted on developments. In the beginning though it is really going to be hard to cater to the people traveling alone. 2-3pax is fine but its those lone clients that are bugging me.

The thing about anilao is i think they are happy the way it is. They don't want to lower prices to match puerto galera for fear that it might turn into a puerto galera. Truth is I love the diving at PG but i stay away from it because of how sabang is in general, and i think more than anything the loyal local crowd of anilao feels the same way and the resort owners keep it that way for them and their decade of loyal patronage. Yes the market that goes to PG is big and its very much tappable given what anilao can offer but i guess they dont want to touch it to keep that whole PG and Olongapo vibe and ambience away.

Also, you have to take into account the profile of most resort owners in anilao, specially the newer and exclusive ones. They are mostly owned by richer filipino families who have been diving anilao for 20 or so years. In the case of bambu villa they set out to build a beach house and later on decided it might be a good idea to turn it into a resort. Some of the resorts over there seem to me like more of hobby businesses and they're used more for socializing than for turning a profit.

Also the foreigners head for bohol, cebu, PG or palawan mostly because those are the places which have been known by the international markets for the longest time. I guess that can be attributed to many foreign operations existing in those places. Like i said, aside from the odd korean owned resorts, anilao resorts are mostly filipino owned that being the reason for lack of international publicity.

But that being said, anilao is actually gaining ground in the international market. Specially now that photography and the macro craze is starting to take a foothold. Hong Kong, Japan and asian markets have been there, and now their only getting stronger. europeans are starting to come as well. Funny thing is; it's the higher end resorts and facilities that these new influx of foreign guests stick to like acacia, and bambu villa the ones in that price range where yes its more expensive but its a little bit more upscale.

Last edited:
Plenty of HK divers had been to PG on package or DIY but very few of them would try to go to Anilao on DIY. It is tedious to use the public transport.
There must be resorts in Anilao that cattering for budget conscientious divers.
It only cost me around US$100.00- 150.00 for a HKG/MNL return. I really do not want to pay US$200.00(P8,400.00) for the return land transfer between T3 and Anilao.
P150.00 for the taxi to Buena Dia. P180.00 for the bus to Batangas Pier. P250.00 for the ferry to Sabang. P50.00 for the freaking environmental fee. P10.00 for the ferry terminal. A grand total of P640.00 from T3 to Sabang Beach. A difference of around P7,100.00(return)!!!!!!!!
Plenty of Pinoys do not earn P7,100.00 in TWO months!!!!!!!!

Devondiver, I totally agree with you that why i have that question up on the other thread. Thing is all those resorts that do have their own transfer system will not lower their prices.

Which is why they are empty all week. They deserve to be. :shakehead:

Just for the main fact that foreigners when they come to anilao pay for the transfers anyway.

How many come??

Philippines tourist industry is 2000x smaller the size of Thailand's. 500x smaller than Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia....

Greedy, lazy, small-minded operators have restricted the Philippines' tourism industry to a tiny number of dedicated divers, a few Ex-US military folks... and the Expats that already live and work here.

Nobody else comes...

Whats another 100usd on top of their full 7 or 8 day package.

Yep...that's exactly the attitude I've encountered here.

The taxi driver who thinks "it's fair" to charge a "rich" tourist 500php for a journey that should be 80php on the meter.
The vendor who charges a tourist 150php for the meal that costs a local 30php.
....again...and again...and again...

Thinking that anyone doesn't care spending money is crazy.

$100 may not be "much" for one of the foreign Expats living in Manila and earning a dollar salary.... but it is a lot to plenty of regular westerners.

Besides which... people don't like to know they are being ripped off. Westerners hate that, just as much as Filipinos. Westerners care about economy...just as much as Filipinos do.

And in the modern global economy...enough of those westerners are struggling to pay expensive mortgages on their homes, expensive taxes in their own countries and have to deal with high cost of living. They don't have surplus money....and do care about every dollar they have to spend.

Here's the truth of it.... foreigners come here because it is CHEAP. If it isn't cheap... they won't come.

Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and Thailand are cheaper. That's why tourists go to those places.

As I said in the earlier post... the greed here stops tourism. Empty resorts is proof of that. Go to any other Asian country and you'll see how many tourists there are. You can see how things should be here.

In Thailand, on the small island where I lived, we produced over 50,000 PADI certifications per year. 50,000!! Seriously. Only on one small island that was 8km long!

I'd be surprised if the whole of the Philippines produced even 5000 certifications a year. It's a sad joke.

That was just PADI courses.... Can you imagine the money being made by the wider industry? Can you imagine the numbers of tourists? Can you imagine the number of hotel rooms booked? Meals sold? Drinks sold? Tours sold? T-shirts sold? Bus/van/taxi journeys sold? Souvenirs sold?

Im seriously considering this as a viable business now and will keep you posted on developments. In the beginning though it is really going to be hard to cater to the people traveling alone. 2-3pax is fine but its those lone clients that are bugging me.

I understand your concern. You've got to trust in the long-term vision. Offer a great service and it will reward and flourish.

If the service isn't reliable, then it won't get used. No doubt in that.

Have you seen how the bus/van services in Thailand and Vietnam run? They are excellent business models... and exactly what tourists want.

(if not, lets meet for a coffee and I'll be happy to describe the system for you).

The thing about anilao is i think they are happy the way it is.

Ain't that the truth! :rofl3:

That's because many of the resort owners disappear to Manila during the week, to do other jobs and generally spend the money they make from their resorts at the weekend.

It's a waste of potential, it a lack of entrepreneur spirit, it's awful business management.... and 'it's how things are done here in the Philippines'.

They don't want to lower prices to match puerto galera for fear that it might turn into a puerto galera.

Anilao will never be PG. It doesn't have the beaches. It doesn't have the bars.

Getting more foreign customers doesn't mean selling your soul to attract the fat-bellied sex tourists. There is a whole other market of nice tourists out there... but most Filipinos have no clue of that...because those people don't come to the Philippines... they go to Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam etc.

Truth is I love the diving at PG but i stay away from it because of how sabang is in general, and i think more than anything the loyal local crowd of anilao feels the same way and the resort owners keep it that way for them and their decade of loyal patronage.

Yeah... those are the Expats, the 'regular' visitors and the ex-US military guys I mentioned. Those folks are a tiny percentage of the overall tourist market that comes to Asia.

Business owners here just don't see the rest of the market - because that market don't come here.

Subic Bay is the same. Inside SBMA everything is set up for Expat Koreans and Pinoy groups from Manila. In Baloy/Barretto everything is set up for the western Expats and sex-travellers (same as PG).

2 parts of the market - nothing more.

Nobody considers doing anything different... offering anything else.... doing anything new. There is no entrepreneurship. No initiative.

....and so, most tourists go to Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia....

Yes the market that goes to PG is big.....

NO... it isn't big. It's tiny. Compared to anywhere else in Asia.. IT IS TINY.

It's one small type of people... a few serious divers, a few Manila resident Expats and a few sex tourists.

Don't kid yourself on this.

and its very much tappable given what anilao can offer but i guess they dont want to touch it to keep that whole PG and Olongapo vibe and ambience away.

Gotta look 'outside the box'.... or rather 'outside the Phils'. Business' here only see the market in terms of what already exists. They never see it in terms of potential.

Look towards Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia and you can see the potential.

Nobody seems to do that here in the Philippines. It's blinkered.

Also, you have to take into account the profile of most resort owners in anilao, specially the newer and exclusive ones. They are mostly owned by richer filipino families who have been diving anilao for 20 or so years. In the case of bambu villa they set out to build a beach house and later on decided it might be a good idea to turn it into a resort. Some of the resorts over there seem to me like more of hobby businesses and they're used more for socializing than for turning a profit.

Absolutely. It's a joke. If they have money to burn, then let them.

I was once offered a management role in one of those 'hobby resorts'. I turned it down. It was waste of my time. I wanted to make money - to run a business - and there was no support, vision or motivation from the owners to do that. Lazy owners. No initiative. No entrepreneurship. No care.

Some of the resorts there are run for commercial profit though.

If those 'real' resorts start to earn a fortune, then the 'hobby businesses' may take notice.

Also the foreigners head for bohol, cebu, PG or palawan mostly because those are the places which have been known by the international markets for the longest time.

Again...don't fool yourself. This is another myth that Filipinos delude themselves with. The international tourism market is VERY dynamic and fast-paced. Things change very quickly - in the rest of the world.

People don't go to Anilao because of the cost... and because the only market they cater to are Manila residents (a very small market).

More people go to PG...again because of the cost...it is cheaper. And because they cater for a specific market, which is bigger.

If any business targets a different market, they will get a different market.

NOBODY here in the Philippines targets the backpacker, economy diver or family markets. So those people don't come here....ever.

THOSE ARE HUGE MARKETS (just go to Thailand to see....)

I guess that can be attributed to many foreign operations existing in those places.

Yep. Foreign operations understand the international tourism market. Filipinos don't.

...and STILL those foreign operations cannot access the larger market (backpackers/economy) because of a lack of support infra-structure. Primarily... because of a lack of economic transport options.

Like i said, aside from the odd korean owned resorts, anilao resorts are mostly filipino owned that being the reason for lack of international publicity.

Publicity isn't a problem. Websites are global. Tourists use the internet for almost ALL of their holiday research.

The fact that 9/10 Anilao resorts that I've emailed didn't bother to respond to my query emails, or had dead email accounts, or dead links on their websites.... illustrates how badly Filipino business people fail to grasp the importance of internet communication and website availability as the KEY tool to attract foreign tourism.

Over half of the diving customers I've had this year have mentioned to me that I was the ONLY operator that replied to their email enquiry.

How many dive operators/resorts/tour companies here have properly SEO tuned websites? Interactive content?

How many have skype access via their websites for easy international communications?

How many have credible websites, that are actually updated and modernized on a regular basis?

How many have coordinated publicity on social media? LinkedIn? Tripadvisor? Lonely Planet? Backpacker forums? Twitter?

How many use a gmail/yahoo/hotmail for their business? (do they even know that this is seen as highly unprofessional in the West?)

The situation is shocking!

It shows a lack of awareness of the global market. If people want success in the tourism industry they have to understand that global market.

But that being said, anilao is actually gaining ground in the international market.

Relative to the Philippines maybe. But this country is dead as far as the Asian tourism market goes.

A single large dive shop in Thailand probably has more customers per annum that the entire Anilao region. That's not an exaggeration!

Go there and see for yourself....

Specially now that photography and the macro craze is starting to take a foothold.

That's a TINY tourist market. Very specialized and very small. A handful of serious divers who are pro-am level photographers.

Hong Kong, Japan and asian markets have been there, and now their only getting stronger....

Tiny market...

europeans are starting to come as well.

Not really. The market is MILLIONS strong per annum.

They won't come here, unless major changes are made.... and those changes need to start with the mindset of resort owners and so-called entrepreneurs here in the Philippines.

The Philippines thinks of the tourism market in terms of thousands... They content (and pride) themselves with customer statistics of such low numbers that they don't even equate to the turn-over of a single branch of McDonalds in a year.

Funny thing is; it's the higher end resorts and facilities that these new influx of foreign guests stick to like acacia, and bambu villa the ones in that price range where yes its more expensive but its a little bit more upscale.

Yep... because they are the only ones who offer reliability and who have decent websites and who quickly answer their correspondence.

There's no reason why an economy resort shouldn't do that. If they did, they would see HUGE customer numbers. But...as I said before... the support infrastructure HAS to be in place; particularly in regards to transport and communications.

If you look at the Thailand forum here on Scubaboard you will never see discussions about how to make long and confusing trips via public transport to get to a resort. You will never see complaints that a resort/operator cannot cater for a single customer. You will never see questions or complaints about how to get to a resort or an area. THAT is because those things are all provided...economically, reliably and with good organization.

Email a resort in Thailand and you get a response immediately. You go to Bangkok... you go to a tourist office.... you get a CHEAP bus ticket.... a dedicated CHEAP tourist van takes you to your destination. There is a dedicated travel network offering very CHEAP and RELIABLE daily transport to all the major tourist areas. For the customer, it's easy. It's CHEAP. So MILLIONS of people go there each year.

The development of Alona Beach on Panglo Island in Bohol over last 10yrs is a good indication that tourists do come to Philippines for diving ONLY.
Another example is Malapascua. When I first went there in 2002, there was nothing around Exotic and the next nearest concrete building was probably at least hundred metres away. But now? Wow!
For most SE Asia countries they welcome backpackers with open arm except Philippines. Any new arrival in Cebu/Manila would have a hard time to leave the airport!!!!!! Taxi(special) is the only option outside the arrival hall. You have to go to the departure hall to catch the ordinary taxi for those who had done some home work before arriving in the country.
You were screw when you just step out of the airport.
I love the country but the system is really really pathetic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom