Public transfer to Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The development of Alona Beach on Panglo Island in Bohol over last 10yrs is a good indication that tourists do come to Philippines for diving ONLY.

Three reasons;
1) Serious Diving
2) Sex
3) Because they have family here and/or served with the US Military here before.

For most SE Asia countries they welcome backpackers with open arm except Philippines.

Absolutely. Philippines has zero support infrastructure for backpackers. Therefore, Philippines has zero backpackers visiting.

I bet most of the Filipino's who read this would scratch their heads and ask a backpacker is... :rofl3:

Any new arrival in Cebu/Manila would have a hard time to leave the airport!!!!!! Taxi(special) is the only option outside the arrival hall. You have to go to the departure hall to catch the ordinary taxi for those who had done some home work before arriving in the country.

When I first came to the Philippines, it was as a backpacker/travelling-instructor. I very nearly didn't come here at all, because of the horror stories amongst the backpacker scene about how impossible it was to travel here.

That was almost instantly confirmed when I started internet research for budget accommodation.

There was none! No websites, no hostels, no B&Bs... nothing. NOTHING.

I arrived in Clark Airport (having finished a season working in Borneo)... and..... no buses.... no tourist offices.... no information. I paid (very expensive) for a taxi to Dau. From Dau I took a public bus to Manila. It was chaos and quite intimidating....and I am ex-military and have spent years travelling the globe by myself. Got to Manila..and was running around Malate at 11pm desperately looking for accommodation. Having travelled all around Asia, I was 'sure' that there would be cheap backpacker accommodation. There was NONE. I nearly left the country the next day.

Great first impression huh?

The first impression was correct...

The longer I've been here... the longer I've lived and worked here.... the more I understand how badly the tourism industry is failing to attract people. I work in diving and tourism... it kills me to see so much fabulous potential wasted!

Now... I'd be worried that I am shooting myself in the foot by mentioning these observations; because my business thrives on the fact that most my 'competition' in incompetent in attracting and servicing foreign tourists... but, I'm pretty sure that nothing I say will ever make an impression on the average Filipino 'tourism entrepreneur'... so I don't worry about speaking those facts.

You were screw when you just step out of the airport.
I love the country but the system is really really pathetic.

Yeah... absolutely! Amen to that!

I've often thought about setting up a Tourism Consultancy here. Whenever I've raised the subject, it became clear that people are not interested to change. They don't want good advice.They don't care how things work elsewhere. They don't care how much money they could be making here.

They do it their own way. The way it was done before. The way they've always done it. The way they understand.

Business is run based on what they know, what they like...rather than what they might anticipate or consideration of what a wider market might like.

In short, Entrepreneurship, Vision and Market-Awareness is missing from DNA.

Tourism... manufacturing.... foreign investment...exports.... it's the same story in every business and commercial market here.

They do it their own way. The way it was done before. The way they've always done it. The way they understand.

Business is run based on what they know, what they like...rather than what they might anticipate or consideration of what a wider market might like.

Tourism... manufacturing.... foreign investment...exports.... it's the same story in every business and commercial market here.

"bahala na si Batman" as we filipinos would say.:wink:

oooohhhhh.....

you know what.... Im really really offended!!!...

i never want to tell people this.... but... i am part of that priviledged rich filipino families that i do talk about... actually extremely rich!!!... i dont even have to really work... but i love diving so that is what i choose... i dont like your tone.... if you think thailand has so much more to offer than the philippines then go there!!!...

I dive because i love it and nothing else... ive worked as a dive pro abroad, in thailand, palau and as well as locally.... i have not seen the dedication to education there that i see here!!!... those people in koh tao would do anything to earn the 350usd it costs for a cert.... how many times have you come across a liscensed diver that is koh tao or phuket trained and told yourself in your head "oooooh my lord here we go again?"..... not to mention the instructors out of koh tao that got their certification in 6 months or so... I have seen manyand worked with many... and to say the least i can dive circles around 99% of them... I have worked for many local and foreign owned businesses here and abroad and all i can say is its all the same...

dont you ever think that maybe some parts of the philippines are not exactly open to whoring themselves out as much as other parts... ever think of that??? now if you think that business is better in thailand.... then really... the only logical solution is to set up business there?!?!!.... isnt it?????...

I work for a company that offers in my oppinion the best value for money on tours that one can hope for in the philippines... but really guys.... ONE THING IS CERTAIN WHEREVER YOU GO!!!.... IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THEN YOUVE GOT TO PAY!!!...

in this case you've got to pay the local norms!!!... hey ive been in thailand many MANY times.... and actually also the rest of the WHOLE world and guess what?!?!?!?!.... no matter where you are in the world.... no one will admit it but... no matter where in the world you are!!!.... PEOPLE WILL TRY TO MAKE AS MUCH OFF OF TOURISTS AS THEY CAN!!!..... this is a worldwide fact!!!...

Im challenged to even think of a city abroad that a cab driver has tried to charge me more than the meter rate... and that is alot of cities in alot of years....

Im a nice guy and profit doesnt mean much to me.... but before people go and point a judgung hand at others... i just need to tell it how it is!!!.... it doesnt matter if your from europe... the united states... asia... or the moon this fact is as sure as death and taxes!!!

Three reasons;
1) Serious Diving
2) Sex
3) Because they have family here and/or served with the US Military here before.

Absolutely. Philippines has zero support infrastructure for backpackers. Therefore, Philippines has zero backpackers visiting.

I bet most of the Filipino's who read this would scratch their heads and ask a backpacker is... :rofl3:

When I first came to the Philippines, it was as a backpacker/travelling-instructor. I very nearly didn't come here at all, because of the horror stories amongst the backpacker scene about how impossible it was to travel here.

That was almost instantly confirmed when I started internet research for budget accommodation.

There was none! No websites, no hostels, no B&Bs... nothing. NOTHING.

I arrived in Clark Airport (having finished a season working in Borneo)... and..... no buses.... no tourist offices.... no information. I paid (very expensive) for a taxi to Dau. From Dau I took a public bus to Manila. It was chaos and quite intimidating....and I am ex-military and have spent years travelling the globe by myself. Got to Manila..and was running around Malate at 11pm desperately looking for accommodation. Having travelled all around Asia, I was 'sure' that there would be cheap backpacker accommodation. There was NONE. I nearly left the country the next day.

Great first impression huh?

The first impression was correct...

The longer I've been here... the longer I've lived and worked here.... the more I understand how badly the tourism industry is failing to attract people. I work in diving and tourism... it kills me to see so much fabulous potential wasted!

Now... I'd be worried that I am shooting myself in the foot by mentioning these observations; because my business thrives on the fact that most my 'competition' in incompetent in attracting and servicing foreign tourists... but, I'm pretty sure that nothing I say will ever make an impression on the average Filipino 'tourism entrepreneur'... so I don't worry about speaking those facts.

Yeah... absolutely! Amen to that!

I've often thought about setting up a Tourism Consultancy here. Whenever I've raised the subject, it became clear that people are not interested to change. They don't want good advice.They don't care how things work elsewhere. They don't care how much money they could be making here.

Really?!...

like i said.... im a scion of a well to do family that has a wide range of bussinesses here and abroad... weve done quite well for ourselves so there goes your theory of enterpreneurship missing from the DNA...

there is a fact that is true no matter where you go... if there is a market segment that is being ignored... then the reason for it is... the people who can address this segment choose to ignore them!!!... just because we are a third world country doesnt mean we are uneducated and dont see these things... in our family alone... i was US educated... one of my siblings graduated from the mba program at WHARTON school of business (yeah look it up), and the others foreign educated in europe and the US as well...

not everyone is as stupid as you may think...

It jsut really annoys me that you are here doing business making money on the philippines yet are so quick to judge how we as filipinos are...

If you were so smart and know everything about markets and such... it leads me to question why you are a dive pro living (probably illeagally)in the philippines to begin with!!!....

Ive got my excuse... im from here... whats yours???....

Public Transfer to Anilao

1. Go to Buendia Bus Terminal (Buendia corner Taft) and take the bus going Batangas Pier trip (choose the Calabarzon route, not the Lipa/Tanauan because it will take longer). Tell the conductor that you will alight at diversion, this is the spot in Batangas just before the bus takes the bridge to Batangas Pier. Bus fare = P170

2. From there, take the jeepneys that are usually waiting for passengers. Make sure to tell them that you are going to Anilao. Jeepney fare = P30

3. You don't need to go all the way to Anilao pier/market. Ask the jeepney driver to take you to the tricycle terminal. Take the trike from there to bring you to whatever resort you are going to. Trike fare = P70 = P100

This is the usual trip I take. I don't have to do a lot of carrying of my gear because I take the next ride almost exactly where I alight. I don't mind a little exercise, though.

I was born in Manila, grew up in Manila, have my family in Manila. And I am Filipino. I dive in Anilao and I take the public transportation. There's a wide range of rates among the resorts choices in Anilao. Choose the cheap ones if you like. But remember, you get what you pay for.

I wonder when is the earlist and latest bus from Manila to Batangas Pier? What about the Jeepney from diversion to tricycle terminal?

I was in Anilao in early June with a large group. I always want to go back on my own.

Thanks!

Public Transfer to Anilao

1. Go to Buendia Bus Terminal (Buendia corner Taft) and take the bus going Batangas Pier trip (choose the Calabarzon route, not the Lipa/Tanauan because it will take longer). Tell the conductor that you will alight at diversion, this is the spot in Batangas just before the bus takes the bridge to Batangas Pier. Bus fare = P170

2. From there, take the jeepneys that are usually waiting for passengers. Make sure to tell them that you are going to Anilao. Jeepney fare = P30

3. You don't need to go all the way to Anilao pier/market. Ask the jeepney driver to take you to the tricycle terminal. Take the trike from there to bring you to whatever resort you are going to. Trike fare = P70 = P100

This is the usual trip I take. I don't have to do a lot of carrying of my gear because I take the next ride almost exactly where I alight. I don't mind a little exercise, though.

I was born in Manila, grew up in Manila, have my family in Manila. And I am Filipino. I dive in Anilao and I take the public transportation. There's a wide range of rates among the resorts choices in Anilao. Choose the cheap ones if you like. But remember, you get what you pay for.

you know what.... Im really really offended!!!...

My purpose wasn't to offend... merely to highlight some observations from living and working in the Philippines.

I don't want to cause an argument here and I don't want to offend you. If you read what I wrote again, with a different perspective, then you might understand that what I wrote was actually supporting your initiative to provide economy transport to Anilao.

I am not sure 'why' you are insulted. Did I say anything inaccurate or unfactual? Or did you take insult because I attempted to discuss the issue? If so, why would you take insult at that?

It is the issue that offends you, not the mention of it.

i dont like your tone.... if you think thailand has so much more to offer than the philippines then go there!!!...

As I said - constructive criticism doesn't tend to be well received here.

Remember this? "Whenever I've raised the subject, it became clear that people are not interested to change. They don't want good advice.They don't care how things work elsewhere. They don't care how much money they could be making here."

I didn't say that I thought 'Thailand had more to offer'. I stated that they had a more effective transport infrastructure for tourists. Or rather.. I stated that they had a transport infrastructure for tourists. The Philippines doesn't. The reason it doesn't is because people here don't think about what the tourist wants (market intelligence). If someone raises an issue, it is taken badly. That point is illustrated very clearly here.

I dive because i love it and nothing else... ive worked as a dive pro abroad, in thailand, palau and as well as locally.... i have not seen the dedication to education there that i see here!!!

Quality of diving, or diving instruction, is not the issue. Stop being defensive.

Why not heed the problem, rather than getting insulted and initiating a tit-for-tat defence??

If you've lived and worked in Thailand, then why not share your perspectives of their tourism and transport infrastructure... and how such a system could be functional here?

dont you ever think that maybe some parts of the philippines are not exactly open to whoring themselves out as much as other parts... ever think of that??? now if you think that business is better in thailand.... then really... the only logical solution is to set up business there?!?!!.... isnt it?????...

Nice attitude. Is that why the Philippines receives less foreign investment than any other Asian country?

The logical solution is for tourists to go elsewhere - which they do!
The logical solution is for business investors to go elsewhere - which they do!

Or are you kidding yourself that the Philippines doesn't have the slowest growing economy in Asia?

The WHOLE POINT of my post was to raise the issues behind the lack of success of Philippines tourism. You can embrace that - or you can throw a prideful tantrum.

I can't help but think that if I was a Filipino, you'd be agreeing with me. But because I am foreign, then you react differently to my observations.

ONE THING IS CERTAIN WHEREVER YOU GO!!!.... IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THEN YOUVE GOT TO PAY!!!...

Yeah... pay a fair price.

Your initiative to run economy transport to Anilao is potentially a great move. Please don't think that my critique is based on that initiative. If anything, my comments are supporting the potential of your idea.

Not only is it more fair... it is also something that could pioneer a future growth in dive and non-dive tourism to that location. It could be the catalyst that inspires a new way of thinking... embracing new markets... amongst the resort and tourism operators in Anilao.

It's you who posed the dilemma that your transport may not have sufficient demand to run regularly or for small groups. I'm attempting to address that issue... and discuss concepts that would increase demand. I assumed you want a working business model for this venture. If you only want to run an occasional taxi service for your rich Manila diving friends, then I'll cease contributing my perspective to the discussion, no harm done... because the short answer is "Yes, you can run a bus service for the Manila diving crowd, it will be empty most of the time and tourists won't use it, but profits aren't a motivation, so it will be a nice hobby for you to have..."

in this case you've got to pay the local norms!!!...

Exactly! But foreign tourists DON'T pay the "local norms" do they? Be honest....

hey ive been in thailand many MANY times.... and actually also the rest of the WHOLE world and guess what?!?!?!?!.... no matter where you are in the world.... no one will admit it but... no matter where in the world you are!!!.... PEOPLE WILL TRY TO MAKE AS MUCH OFF OF TOURISTS AS THEY CAN!!!..... this is a worldwide fact!!!...

Don't kid yourself. Tourism is a business and a vital part of many countries revenues. But that doesn't mean that this revenue is EXPLOITED.

Visitors to this country UNDERSTAND that they are exploited, over-charged and generally swindled.

I'll ask you this... does your company have a "local rate" and a "tourist rate"? Most do....

like i said.... im a scion of a well to do family that has a wide range of bussinesses here and abroad... weve done quite well for ourselves so there goes your theory of enterpreneurship missing from the DNA...

Yes.. and you are the person who has recognised the market potential of providing economy transport to Anilao. My purpose is to support you in that.

We all know how 'family connections' play a vital role in 'business success' in this country. Lets not kid ourselves that this is 'entrepreneurship'. In many instances, it's nothing more than cronyism and corruption (as the rest of the world would define it, even if Filipinos don't).

Now... I'm not accusing you, or your family, of this... I am just pointing out that it happens. Would you deny that?

there is a fact that is true no matter where you go... if there is a market segment that is being ignored... then the reason for it is... the people who can address this segment choose to ignore them!!!...

Untrue. You are stating that these Anilao resort owners WANT their resorts empty from monday to friday? As I said...'entrepreneurship'.

Entrepreneurs seek to make money, to expand business, to capture markets.

Can you define any actual reasons why people would "choose to ignore" the backpacker, econo-diver or family holiday markets?

just because we are a third world country doesnt mean we are uneducated and dont see these things...not everyone is as stupid as you may think...

Education, stupidity and awareness are very different things. Education is not a measure of intelligence. Awareness is a product of culture - specifically, the ability to over-come the boundaries of cultural and regional perspective and take a broader non-aligned view.

I know that Filipinos are educated. It is one of the best performing countries in the world for tertiary education.. and this is reflected by the vast numbers of overseas workers that it produces (a vital part of the national economy). In short, 'brains' is your biggest export.

I am talking about 'awareness'. Specifically for tourism, I am talking about the ability to see beyond what you (as an Filipino) want... and start viewing the market/industry from your customers' demands. Because, if those demands aren't met, then the market won't develop.

Tourism, like any industry, is a matter of supply versus demand.

In the Philippines, the mentality is very much 'supply-orientated'. "This is what you can have, so be happy with it!".

That mentality simply doesn't fly in a demand driven global market.

An entrepreneur understands the market and addresses it. They are 'demand-orientated'. "What do you want and how much are you prepared to pay for it".

It jsut really annoys me that you are here doing business making money on the philippines yet are so quick to judge how we as filipinos are...

Please... cease and desist the righteous indignation of wounded national pride.

Can we talk honestly, and openly, about the tourism industry here.... or shall we delude ourselves that everything is perfect and needs no improvement?

You're a businessman. A successful one. An educated man. So am I. We share a love of scuba diving. We both understand how things work here. You say you understand how things work elsewhere, in other countries. So do I.

Are we beyond having an intellectual discussion on the subject?

If you were so smart and know everything about markets and such... it leads me to question why you are a dive pro living (probably illeagally)in the philippines to begin with!!!....

1) Married to a very successful Filipina.
2) Enough money in the bank to 'retire' from mainstream career and do what I love.
3) Because I'd like to contribute something to this country.

Ive got my excuse... im from here... whats yours???....
Again...there's no need to be personal.

Plenty more of your countrymen reliant on working in my country, than there is of mine in yours. So, lets not go down that route of discussion. Nationalist chest-beating is silly.

Want to show me that you are an astute businessman with an entrepreneurial talent? Show me that you can think 'beyond' your nationalistic angst....and address the discussion without defensiveness.

Again... I am not here to argue with you, or insult you or your country. That I choose to live here is a big compliment, and shows the bigger picture.

So,..please... try not to react that way when confronted with another person's perspectives. Obviously my perspectives are different to yours... but I represent the 'market'. It's an informative source for you, that I was happy to share. You were the one who started a thread asking about the feasibility of a business idea... I am merely helping you investigate that feasibility. Supply versus demand remember? :D

Last edited:
i never want to tell people this.... but... i am part of that priviledged rich filipino families that i do talk about... actually extremely rich!!!... i dont even have to really work.....
Im a nice guy and profit doesnt mean much to me....
What have you done to alleviate the poverty in Philippines?
In HK we are paying about P20,000.00 per month for a demoestic helper. They onlly work six days a week + public holiday etc etc. How much do you pay your and what is her working conditions?
We treat them(Philipina) better than her home country ever will.
There will be a court case soon about some Philipinas fighting their right of abodes in HK. They would rather stay in HK then returning home!!!!
Go to the US Embassy on Roxa Blvd weekday before 7am and you will see hundreds of your fellow countrymen/women there. What for?

Do something nice to your fellow countrymen/women. Pay them well for the job.
I am aware that what I just said are OT but I never had a chance to speak to extremely rich Pinoy before. I only seen them coming to HK for shopping and entertainment.

I think the mindset from the Pinoy rich is often "how will that change/improvement benefit me?" (see the real-life example above).

My desire to improve the tourism industry here is more to do with the benefits that would be gained by ordinary people. Tourism is a great distributor of wealth. The existing rich get their resorts... but the wider population also get access to a market and income that can really change their lives.

I'm not greatly impressed by wealth, or family connections...and tend to disassociate myself from people who flout them.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom