Public service announcement :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A friendly warning to those of you coming down here. Bring repellant and wear it religiously!

In the 3+ years I have lived here, I have never experienced this.

Yesterday, while sitting at the beach during the surface interval, I was stung by "flys". There is actually another name for them, but I am not going to attempt the spelling. Within minutes, I was suffering from the effects of these bites.

These bites cause MAJOR inflamation, pain (like being hit by a baseball bat), and severe itching.

Three places (3 bites) on my shins and arm are inflamed to the size of small melons and I've had to wrap them with guaze and anti-itch cream to keep from scratching. I can barely put any pressure on my legs due to the pain. I have been taking benadryl and it has already helped. I'm told that the symptoms last for about 24 to 48 hours. I had this happen a few weeks ago as well, and I thought I was bit by a spider, but now I know it was this same thing.

This is probably an allergic reaction, because no one else in my group was affected, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone, so please wear your repellant at all times, especially on the beach...and watch out for those pesky insects that simply look like big flys.

Having been born and raised in Canada, I can sympathize with anyone dealing with biting flies. Found this website:

Deer and Horse Flies

Interesting to note that this site claims that DEET will not prevent the flies from landing, but "might" stop them from biting.

I don't know if horse and/or deer flies are in Cozumel, but what you're seeing is probably a not-so-distant relative. The big issue with this kind of fly is the anti-coagulant that they excrete (AKA "fly spit" - yuck). This means that the bite continues to bleed long after the fly is gone. It can also lead to the kind of allergic reaction that some people experience.

When we were in Coz in early June, we spent some time on a northern beach. The flies there were quite small, but when they bit you it felt like someone stabbed you with a needle. Luckily, I didn't have any reaction (I do to black-fly bites - just be glad they don't wander that far south).

Good luck....

Wow, all the years i've been going to Coz and never had a problem like this. And i would. Biting bugs love me for some reason.

Is it a summertime thing, a lot of rain thing, or what?

thankx for the warning, we're headed down there at the first of Sept.
my wife was all bit up a couple of years ago by the "no see ums" our jeep was full of them and the back of her legs and ankles were a mess for a couple of weeks.

the shark

Canucklehead:
Having been born and raised in Canada, I can sympathize with anyone dealing with biting flies. Found this website:

Deer and Horse Flies

Interesting to note that this site claims that DEET will not prevent the flies from landing, but "might" stop them from biting.

I don't know if horse and/or deer flies are in Cozumel, but what you're seeing is probably a not-so-distant relative. The big issue with this kind of fly is the anti-coagulant that they excrete (AKA "fly spit" - yuck). This means that the bite continues to bleed long after the fly is gone. It can also lead to the kind of allergic reaction that some people experience.

When we were in Coz in early June, we spent some time on a northern beach. The flies there were quite small, but when they bit you it felt like someone stabbed you with a needle. Luckily, I didn't have any reaction (I do to black-fly bites - just be glad they don't wander that far south).

Good luck....

This is EXACTLY what it was and the symptoms and bite are all as described in this article. They call them Tabanus here which is the actual scientific species name...interesting.

Thanks for this information! At least I have a better understanding of what bit me now!

I'm going to elevate again...feels better when I do that :)

Here's an informative link on the monsters...

http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~parasite/tabanus.html

Aside from the bacteria and parasites possible - more so there than here, what you're experiencing does sound like an alergic reaction, perhaps. Have you considered a doctor...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom