Suggestion Public Safety Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
I

indypddiver

Reaction score
Hi there. I would like to suggest a new forum dedicated to those divers involved with public safety diving (police/fire depts). There seems to be alot of interest in the subject in many of the existing forums. There also seems to be numerous people not involved in public safety diving who feel qualified to preach upon the subject. Just a suggestion.

Thanks,

Indypddiver

Scubaroo:
Just to throw a spanner in the works - there is already an active Public Safety Divers forum on TheDecoStop. Divers from the FBI Underwater Search and Evidence Response team now post there.

Not sure if it's a disservice or a service to split the number of places on the web for these types of discussions.

http://www.thedecostop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122

Hmm I didn't know this. Well, I'll have to see what Jeff says. I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

I don't think it's a case of stepping on anyone's toes, more a case of is it beneficial to public safety divers to have multiple resources with the content stretched between them, or is it better having a centralised resource? It's not quite the same as having duplicate technical diving forums vying for attention.

I sent a PM to Jeff. It will be up to him..I trust his judgement.

There are members here who are not members there. I enjoy the PSD forum at TDS as well, but if the members here are requesting one here, why not add it? It's a resource that should be informative for members who are not PSD's but have concerns or questions. Why should they have to go to another board when there are folks here who are interested and willing to participate?

We should have one too, I think.

I'd like to see one here too. I don't find that the PSD forum on TDS is all that active. I would expect it to be more active here just because of more SB members being exposed to it. I'm not saying that one is/would be better than the other
Both boards have DIR forums as well don't they?

Natasha:
I sent a PM to Jeff. It will be up to him..I trust his judgement.

Hmm... well... let me give you the best non answer I can come up with.

Yes, we've got one over on TDS. I don't spend much time in there just because I have no real input I can add; so I don't pay much attention to what actually goes on in there.

I understand what Ben is saying... if it's a small community, and Mike feels that communication between teams is lacking, then perhaps it's better for there to be only one PSD forum where they can all hang out.

But in practicality, that probably isn't going to happen, unless someone decided to setup a focused mailing list to truely focus the whole discussion on only PSD.

On TDS or SB it doesn't totally matter, they are divers and they are going to stumble across it and participate, it all depends on which site they actually prefer for the alternate content, as they are all divers, and all divers have their own interest. If their interest is more in line with what SB has to offer, then they'll be more apt to use a PSD forum here. If their interest is more in line with what TDS has to offer... well, then they'll use that forum.

So basically.. set it up, and see if it stays active. Since you have members that are asking for it, I think it's a safe bet that it'll be active. I personally feel a broad forum like SB, or for that matter TDS in the grand scheme of things, isn't the place to try and form a centralized location for all PSD divers. That sort of thing serves better with a focused mailing list [think, for example, the HID Dive Lights mailing list, or the Dive Accidents mailing list.. Sure their are accidents forums in many different places, but people keep their eyes on them all and funnel relevant discussions back through the specific mailing list].

So... was there any answer in there?

Yes, Jeff. It was in the first sentence of paragraph 6. Thank you. :winky:

OK the new forum is in place. Post often!
Enjoy!

indypddiver:
Hello all. There have been several posts reference the possibility of starting a new forum dedicated to Public Safety Diving. You can find the posts under Site Support...Suggestions. If any PSDs, or non-PSDs, are interested, please voice your opinion there. Thanks!

...an excellent idea!

Such a forum would benefit not only PSD's, but all divers - we would all learn from the discourse.

BTW, my Department deep-sixed my plans for limited scuba rescue capability ( they went for the sexier idea of high-angle rescue instead - ya, I'm a bit put off, considering we have had 4 drownings in the last two years & not one high - angle rescue call in over 30 years! The drownings had our boys bobbing up & down in antiquated snorkelling gear, in brackish river water with innumerable bottom trash - yes, the department has been warned of the hazards of such folly). The odds of a scuba rescue with successful resucitation & no neurological deficit, I admit, are remote at best ( save ice-water drowning incidents ), but we are in the business of trying, & one life saved is all the justification needed.

Beauracracy will be the end of me yet!

Best to you & the lads,

Warm Regards,
D.S.D.

Back
Top Bottom