Suggestion Public Safety Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
I

indypddiver

Reaction score
Hi there. I would like to suggest a new forum dedicated to those divers involved with public safety diving (police/fire depts). There seems to be alot of interest in the subject in many of the existing forums. There also seems to be numerous people not involved in public safety diving who feel qualified to preach upon the subject. Just a suggestion.

Thanks,

Indypddiver

No rush on this. I would like to how much interest we have here before we add another forum.

I'd like to see one as well and agree with snowbear. Open to all, probably on its own too

I am sorry for not responding back over the weekend. I have having a problem with getting a Java Script error when I tried to reply to posts.

I am but a single, new voice on the board and feel there are other PSD's on the site who should weigh in with their comments. I am in favor of opening the forum to everyone. Each day, I learn more in every facet of life from others. No reason this will not be the same. It can certainly act as an educational tool to make other divers aware of the activities involved in Public Safety Diving. This is not a fun type of diving and raises the risk bar much higher.

Regarding what I would hope to discuss on the forum? I would like to have discussions regarding equipment, techniques, case studies of actual dives to learn and use as a preplan tool, discussions of problems encountered, as a means to discuss SOP's and SOG's, funding discussions, and just as a means for the PSD community to locate and support each other. The one factor I have noticed about this board is there is SO much activity (which is a great tribute to the board admins) that it makes it difficult to see what you want without spending large amounts of time sorting through everything.

Those are my thoughts. I would love to have other PSD's chime in with theirs.

Thanks for the opportunity,

Dan

Natasha,

My vote would be to create a new forum, all by itself, geared specifically toward Public Safety Diving. I also strongly suggest that the forum be open to any and all who would like to participate. In my humble opinion, limiting the forum to only PSDs would be a tragic mistake. The are more than enough qualified people on this board, PSDs or not, who could greatly contribute to many of the discussions that would be posted there.

Along with Boater Dan, I see the forum as a place to talk about training practices, gear issues, team SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures), etc. I see the forum as a place to trade better ideas and good stories and ask questions. I also see the forum as a place to discuss diving-related accidents and problems. A place to possibly build a network to make PS diving better. Anything at all, PSD-related.

As Mr. Ferrara stated, communication between Public Safety Dive teams is a problem and hopefully a forum such as this might go a little way to correct it. I can personally say that the PSD teams in my area have made leaps and bounds in all of the areas stated above, but only after a terrible price was paid.

I'd love to be able to discuss these issues with my fellow PSDs as well as those who are not.

I think it should be a general access stand-alone forum, not a sub-forum.

I've recently joined a county search and recovery team and am quickly learning that it is not a finely-tuned machine. Discussion of topics such as training regimens, certs required, interaction with other dive teams, etc could be very valuable.

Hello all. There have been several posts reference the possibility of starting a new forum dedicated to Public Safety Diving. You can find the posts under Site Support...Suggestions. If any PSDs, or non-PSDs, are interested, please voice your opinion there. Thanks!

OK. I now see there is enough for a forum.
So it will have it's own forum head.

Title:
Public Safety Divers

Sub forums
Training Practices
Gear Issues
Team SOPs
Ideas and Stories
Dive related accidents and problems

Sound good?
How about putting it by the medical forums?

Back
Top Bottom